• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

c&c cage ideas!

CinnamonBunny

Young Bun
I've been thinking of making a c&c cage as commercial cages don't seem big enough to me. The idea I have is making a cage around 1m x 1m and adding a second level, so roughly 2 meters square in all which is over 20 feet (according to online converter)

That's if I can find the grids of course. Would this be big enough for a pair of dwarf rabbits? I don't particularly want to make a 3rd floor as it will be hard for me to clean that high up.

Any other ideas will be welcome. :)

I think you'll find that the 'pen' may work out better, depending on the space you have for it.

Are bunnies to be locked in pen all day? How much free-range time will they get per day?

I'm at college from Monday to Thursdays, so Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays they would have most of the day to free range around my room and other rooms in the house. On Monday to Thursday they would probably have around 3-4 hours every night.

The RWAF reccomends a 6x2 for a hutch, which is 12 square foot, but this must not be the only living the space, they should have a run of at least 8' x 4' which is 32 sq ft.

Is there any way you can bunny-proof the room to let them run around it when you're not there?

Another level would increase the space, but in a c&c cage it is hard to make another level that goes all the way accross without a lot of wooden supports. The grids are very strong, but the cable ties dont keep them rigid if that makes sense? You might have to settle for a smaller second level. Good news is that a third level would only be 2 feet 4 inches off the ground so easily accessible. This is what I mean:
SAM_0769.jpg

I have an approx 4.5x4.5ft c&c cage and my bun is only confined at night to it. I used to only let him out when I was here but he was frustrated at being confined to a small space, and it was easy to bunny-proof my room with left-over cubes like this so he can be out all day:
SAM_0749.jpg

I love my c&c cage as I can always expand it if I need to, without buying an entirely new cage. I would reccomend you make it no shorter than 4ft in length, as they need room to hop in a straight line.

Most cube panels I've seen are 14 inches. So 3 would give you 3 foot 6 inches (105 cm), 4 would give you 4 foot 8 inches (140cm) which is what I have. Could you do 4x4 cubes or 3x4 cubes?
SAM_0608.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures :oops: and the super long post. Hope it helps you visalise it a bit better :)

Last edited:
I've not got any rabbits yet, just looking in to housing and such.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Well done for researching first! You'll have plenty of time to bunny-proof then.

For scale, the bunny in my photos is quite large, so the cage would look a bit bigger for a smaller bunny :)

Back