• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust

I used to use it in Charlies litter tray but it got so messy, I find it tidier to use newspaper and hay now!
I do use it for my hamsters though

I use aubiose for the litter trays (used to use megazorb) and lino on the hutch floors.

If you search through old posts you'll find a lot of info on why sawdust isn't recommended for buns/piggies :wave:

I hate sawdust/wood shavings. Megazorb is far better - it's much more absorbent, loads better for them and it's cheaper.

You can get it from Hay Experts or Animal Magic, or if you have an equestrian shop near you they might sell it as it's a horse bedding :wave:

For the bunnies i use just newspaper and hay :D

I use sawdust/wood shavings for the hamster though :) And currently have a little bit in the budgie nest boxes too :)

I used to use megazorb but tried just paper and hay as Naughty Nutmeg started digging in the hay and churning the megazorb through it and it's working so well I'm trying it with the lops now too as Mini the Minx has started digging too :roll:.

(Annoyingly I have a full bag of megazorb in the garage.)

I stopped using sawdust over a month ago after reading about it on here.

I use hay in the hutch and carefresh in the litter tray. Been using carefresh for years. :wave:

in winter i put a layer of cardboard down in the shed with a layer of sawdust then about 2ft of hay and straw on top.. more for insulation and warmth than anything.

i use it in the stables otherwise my fat shetlands would hoover up a straw bed overnight!:roll:

I used to use wood shavings in the litter trays (it's alright imo as long as it's in a well ventilated area and the buns aren't on it all the time) but switched to aubiose when I found somewhere I could get it as it's so much more absorbent and great for the mice too.

Is shavings sawdust? Sawdust is bad if its what we call sawdust (you know, actually dust, like if you were sawing wood up).

I use aspen shavings for button quail, rabbit litterpans (sometimes), and hamsters.

Is shavings sawdust? Sawdust is bad if its what we call sawdust (you know, actually dust, like if you were sawing wood up).

I use aspen shavings for button quail, rabbit litterpans (sometimes), and hamsters.

Some people use the words interchangeably. I know some shavings are also bad cos of the phenols. Don't know about aspen ones though.

I use megazorb and/or shredded paper for buns & mouse as I read that sawdust can cause breathing problems once it's got pee on it :wave:

Back