• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breaking Toes and Odd Behavior?

BeMyWings

New Kit
I'm not sure if this belongs in behavior or health so if it needs to be moved, please let me know.

I bought a Netherland Dwarf, Odie, a few months ago. She's now eight months old and has a few toes that are sticking up awkwardly. They aren't swollen and she doesn't seem to be in pain, but she does have an apparent obsession with keeping all four feet well groomed. Do they sound broken or dislocated? It started with one toe a month ago, and then I found two more sticking up today. Her cage has a solid plastic bottom, her nails are well maintained, and she doesn't jump from high places. I'm almost positive these damages are caused by her unexplained trashing when touched.

She was fine when I first got her, up until her second or third month, but she suddenly started grunting and thrashing violently when touched even lightly. She will claw your arms, hands, and gets caught up in your shirt and leap over your shoulder if you try to soothe her or just run around in panic/crash into things if you let her go. I've tried for the past three months to get her to calm down, all attempts working for a short while before backfiring without any identifiable cause. Is this a rabbit thing or did I do something horribly, horribly wrong?

All attempts to seek advice from her breeder have failed and I am searching for a cheaper vet with absolutely no luck. (All estimates so far range from $220-$300.) Any advice is appreciated.

No idea on her toes. It isn't sore hocks? :?

She is spayed? That might help with her behavior. but she needs to trust you before you try picking her up ( and some rabbits never like being picked up). Don't break her trust by trying to pet her or pick her up, let her come to you and sit in your lap when she wants. Sit on the floor and bribe her with treats and don't do anything 'scary' around her.

For cheaper vets, that might be difficult since it needs to be a rabbit savvy vet. Have you tried calling around to all the vets in your area? You might end up having to drive to find a good one. I actually posted on craigslist in my area about a good vet once, you could try that (obviously talk with the vets to see if they really are good or not).

Last edited:
Probably not sore hocks. :/ It's the individual toes themselves being damaged and there's zero resistance in them so they just kind of flex unnaturally when touched. Unless sore hocks can cause that...?

And no, she isn't spayed, but that's on my to-do list this summer. I've been doing the sitting and bribing for two months now, but I can't seem to get around having to pick her up and do her nails. Are there any alternatives to clipping?

I've raided most of my phone book, sadly. I'm calling shelters tomorrow to see about their vets. And I never would have thought to use craigslist. Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm not sure if this belongs in behavior or health so if it needs to be moved, please let me know.

I bought a Netherland Dwarf, Odie, a few months ago. She's now eight months old and has a few toes that are sticking up awkwardly. They aren't swollen and she doesn't seem to be in pain, but she does have an apparent obsession with keeping all four feet well groomed. Do they sound broken or dislocated? It started with one toe a month ago, and then I found two more sticking up today. Her cage has a solid plastic bottom, her nails are well maintained, and she doesn't jump from high places. I'm almost positive these damages are caused by her unexplained trashing when touched.

She was fine when I first got her, up until her second or third month, but she suddenly started grunting and thrashing violently when touched even lightly. She will claw your arms, hands, and gets caught up in your shirt and leap over your shoulder if you try to soothe her or just run around in panic/crash into things if you let her go. I've tried for the past three months to get her to calm down, all attempts working for a short while before backfiring without any identifiable cause. Is this a rabbit thing or did I do something horribly, horribly wrong?

All attempts to seek advice from her breeder have failed and I am searching for a cheaper vet with absolutely no luck. (All estimates so far range from $220-$300.) Any advice is appreciated.

The 'toe licking' indicates PAIN

The grunting and thrashing could be hormonal aggression. Getting her spayed would help reduce this. But aggression can also occur as a result of PAIN. So I think you need to get appropriate Veterinary care for your Rabbit without further delay.

Back