• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would you have a bunny spayed if you couldn't get back to the vet?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Would you have a bunny spayed if chances were you wouldn't be able to get back to the vet for a few days?

I'm just trying to weigh up the risks. A bunny savvy vet is not an option...which worries the hell out of me...she has done spays before but doesn't like doing them. She recommended my friend get two males so she wouldn't have to do spays, only neuters. But I just don't think I'm able to go further with them. She has done ops for me before and the animals have been fine, but they weren't bunnies. She does know them and love them though.

I've got a chance to go to my nearest vet on a Friday next month, drop them off, then pick them up in the afternoon, when my Mum goes to pick up a friend. She will be going past again on Monday taking the friend home. I cannot drive, so I worry if something goes wrong after Friday, I wouldn't be able to get them to the vet.

But then, if I don't get them done, its another long wait until the oppertunity comes up. This is just all so sucky, I hate not being able to drive.

What are the chances of something going wrong, like I know all about not eating or passing anything, is there a danger time, like once that's passed you're usually OK? How often do bunnies pull stitches out?

Reading all this, I sometimes wonder if I should have animals at all. People come on here saying they can't take their animal to a vet in an emergency and I go on at them. But really I am just as guilty :cry:

I know it'd be hard for you, but is there any way they could stay at the vet for the weekend to recover enough to know that they're eating/drinking/pooing/weeing?

I know it'd be hard for you, but is there any way they could stay at the vet for the weekend to recover enough to know that they're eating/drinking/pooing/weeing?

I was actually wondering about this...do vets do this? Like if I offered to provide everything and pay extra? My only problem is she doesn't have facilities (she works from a portakabin/old ambulance), they would have to be in her home, but at least I would know they would be watched.

At the moment they don't actually fight, they never have done, so I have been very lucky. It's just the cancer risk that is stressing me.

Next time without a doubt I am going to find a pair that are already done.

I don't know how you guys cope with the worry sometimes! :lol:

I was actually wondering about this...do vets do this? Like if I offered to provide everything and pay extra? My only problem is she doesn't have facilities (she works from a portakabin/old ambulance), they would have to be in her home, but at least I would know they would be watched.

It'd definatly be worth asking about. I think that would be the safest option.
The chances of something going wrong are minimal, but if you can cover that chance then its worth finding out about!

ETA I LOVE Scotland but I can't imagine how hard it'd be to be there perminatly and not have a car!

It'd definatly be worth asking about. I think that would be the safest option.
The chances of something going wrong are minimal, but if you can cover that chance then its worth finding out about!

ETA I LOVE Scotland but I can't imagine how hard it'd be to be there perminatly and not have a car!

I know, I am seriously considering moving...I don't think I can deal much longer without having a vet closeby. :evil:

I'm confused, is the vet you can go to a bunny savvy one or the one not confident with spays?

I wouldn't go for a vet that was reluctant to perform the op.

What's your reason for spaying? Cancer very rarely becomes an issue before two years old and isn't higher risk until 5+. If the only reason is because 'you should get bunnies spayed' rather than because she's in a high risk age group, needs spaying to be bonded, or is showing aggressive behaviour then I would just wait until it's more practical for you, if you think that will change in future.

If it were me, I definitely wouldn't risk going to a non-bunny savvy vet. spays and neuters for bunnies are very different to cats and dogs. And I"m confused, is this the same vet that, if something went wrong and you couldn't pick them up, you'd let the vet take them home? That's pretty risky too. they're going to be very stressed after the op and should really be taken back home immediately where they're used to. They might not eat afterwards, that's pretty common after the op.

Can't remember whereabouts in Sutherland you are? Is there a better vet in Thurso? I definitely would not risk having a bunny spayed by a vet who has admitted they are uncomfortable doing it! It really is major surgery for a little bunny something I hadn't really appreciated till Daisy was done! I would not feel comfortable either if I wasn't able to get to a vet post op! I think the first 24-48hrs after you get them home is the most critical trying to get them to eat and poo! I paid for extra metacam to bring home which was needed for a couple of days and made a big difference to the recovery! I was lucky Daisy didn't touch her stitches but there have been a few horror stories on here and you would need to get to a vet asap! If it came to it could you pay a friend to take you to the vet in an emergency?

I wouldn't feel happy having them spayed, knowing that I couldn't get back to the vet if need be.

Bubbles didn't need to go back to the vet afterwards but, as Bouddica said, there are plenty of instances on here of where bunnies have needed to go back for more pain relief, because they've chewed their stitches etc.

I'm also confused by what you've written - if the vet you are considering isn't bunny savvy, then I wouldn't even consider it.

I had Betsey and Katie booked in to be spayed in November, the week the heavy snow arrived, i cancelled and they still haven't been done yet. Even though I can do the injections myself and they always give me the meds home with me, I didn''t want to risk something major happening and not being able to get to the vet in the middle of the night because the roads were so bad. I'm hoping the better weather will stay now and will get them booked in over the next few weeks instead.

My vets don't have somebody on site overnight, and even though the pop in to check the animals, I prefer to get them home, it might be different if somebody was there all the time.

personally, i wouldn't.
i'd wait until you are able to get them to a vet you are happy with who could maybe keep them in clinic to care for them post-op.

What she's saying is the vet that is nearest to her is not bunny savvy and doesn't like doing spays, so she's not keen on doing them.

Her dilemma is that the vet she DOES want to use is too far away for her to get there after the spay if there is an emergency. So steph182 suggested maybe getting them spayed at that vets and leaving them there over the weekend.

Is that right?:) I only wrote this cause it seemed like a few people were confused. I might be totally wrong too:lol:

What she's saying is the vet that is nearest to her is not bunny savvy and doesn't like doing spays, so she's not keen on doing them.

Her dilemma is that the vet she DOES want to use is too far away for her to get there after the spay if there is an emergency. So steph182 suggested maybe getting them spayed at that vets and leaving them there over the weekend.

Is that right?:) I only wrote this cause it seemed like a few people were confused. I might be totally wrong too:lol:

Oh well in that case I'd do option 2. If there is an emergency you could use a cab or find a neighbor or friend to take you.

That's what confused me - she said it's the nearest vet that is too far for her to get to if need be, she would need a lift as she doesn't drive.

But I wasn't sure if the nearest vet and the non-savvy one are the same person. :?

I'm confused, is the vet you can go to a bunny savvy one or the one not confident with spays?

I wouldn't go for a vet that was reluctant to perform the op.

What's your reason for spaying? Cancer very rarely becomes an issue before two years old and isn't higher risk until 5+. If the only reason is because 'you should get bunnies spayed' rather than because she's in a high risk age group, needs spaying to be bonded, or is showing aggressive behaviour then I would just wait until it's more practical for you, if you think that will change in future.

Sorry for confusing :p

The vet I am going past is the one who doesn't like doing spays.

My reason for spaying was just because of cancer, I was sure I read that the longer its left the more likely they are to suffer from cancer. If 2 is the cut off point then I may be able to pass my driving test before getting them spayed as they only just turned one.

They show no aggression to each other and are bonded.

Can't remember whereabouts in Sutherland you are? Is there a better vet in Thurso? I definitely would not risk having a bunny spayed by a vet who has admitted they are uncomfortable doing it! It really is major surgery for a little bunny something I hadn't really appreciated till Daisy was done! I would not feel comfortable either if I wasn't able to get to a vet post op! I think the first 24-48hrs after you get them home is the most critical trying to get them to eat and poo! I paid for extra metacam to bring home which was needed for a couple of days and made a big difference to the recovery! I was lucky Daisy didn't touch her stitches but there have been a few horror stories on here and you would need to get to a vet asap! If it came to it could you pay a friend to take you to the vet in an emergency?

I'm sure there would be one in Thurso, but it would means a 5+ hour for the bunnies to get there, and I think that would be too long. I'm wondering if I should just find a hotel in Inverness that will allow bunnies in their room, and have them spayed by a vet there. If I spend 3 days there, I would be close to the vet should anything go wrong!

I wouldn't feel happy having them spayed, knowing that I couldn't get back to the vet if need be.

Bubbles didn't need to go back to the vet afterwards but, as Bouddica said, there are plenty of instances on here of where bunnies have needed to go back for more pain relief, because they've chewed their stitches etc.

I'm also confused by what you've written - if the vet you are considering isn't bunny savvy, then I wouldn't even consider it.

No, she's not bunny savvy, but she's the only vet. Otherwise a 220 mile round trip to the next one...:cry:

At this point...I am considering speaking to her about her having them the weekend. She has done spays before, so I know she can do them. I'll see if she will be able to keep them Friday - Monday (she only does surgeries on Friday).

If this isn't an option, I'll wait until I've passed my driving test. Then we will go to Inverness and use one of the many city vets, who should have experience.

Back