• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Filtered or not?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We are moving in to our new flat officially next week and obviously bun buns will be coming with us!
We have noticed that in our new flat in the kitchen there are three tap nozzles, obviously the hot, the cold and what we belived to be filtered water or softened.
I am going to call the water company tomorrow to double check that the cold water is drinking water- my husband thinks I am being stupid and it is fine but I do not want to risk giving it to the buns if I do not know.
We will probably have to get a new filter from the company who supplies them so I will be calling them tomorrow to see about that.

So my questions are:

• If the water company can not give me a yes/no answer would it be ok to use the filtered/softened water for them?
  • Would it be ok to use the filtered/softened water- through the filter that is currently in place (dont know how long it has been there) if the new filter does not arrive in time for us to move in?
  • What is better for bunnies- filtered/softened or non filtered/softened water?

Last edited:
Filtered water is fine.

Softened water is NOT suitable to drink.

I suspect it is a filter tap you have you will need to confirm with agents who rent/sold you property. :wave:

I am guessing your bunnies are inside pets. If they are outside, you could consider putting out a tray to catch rain water. I have been doing this for the last few months and our two have been drinking from their bowl a lot more. I think there is something in our tap water that they don't like so much. It seems more natural to give them rain water as that is what they would drink in the wild.

Thankyou for the replies guys and girls! :wave:
I have been in contact with the water company and she has said that there is no reason why the cold water would not be safe drinking water.
I also called the company who installed the filter system and asked how long that particular filter has been in there and when it needs replacing...
The filters have a 6 month life line and wait for it... that one is over 7 years old!! :shock: So will not be drinking from that!! Can not afford to get a new filter as it is nearly £50 so we are just going to continue using our Brita Filter for ourselves and will use the cold tap water for the buns as I worried about giving them the Brita water as it states something about not using if you have a liver condition or something and I dont want to make my buns ill incase they have something wrong that I dont know about.

Back