• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help deciding what to do regarding bun owner

Lillian

Warren Veteran
As I said in a previous post I collected some young (3-4 week old) baby rabbits today.. The person getting rid of them has mum and dad, unneutered, unvaccinated, living loose in the garden, where a third adult bun was killed and eaten by a fox just days ago. They had two unused hutches that couldn't have even been 3ft.

The person isn't horrible, just an ignorant bunny owner :roll:

I'm sure mum bun is already pregnant and likely to give birth in the garden, where Mr Fox will no doubt be waiting :cry:

I can't confront this person and say everything thats wrong and how to fix it - please don't tell me too, I have awful social phobia, I just can't do it.

I don't want to report them to the RSPCA because like I said they're not being mean, they're just 'bunny-stupid'. Is there any rescues or anyone who could speak to this person?

could you write them a letter or something like that, it doesnt have to be horrid just point out some helpful advice. i am really bad talking to people face to face but if i write it down i feel better. they may be very grateful for some friendly advice

A difficult situation :(

I think I'd be inclined to drop them a note. If you word it right it won't come across as you being critical.

If one rabbit has already been taken it's only a matter of time before the others are also killed :cry: :cry:

Whether someone is deliberately neglecting, or neglecting through ignorance or stupidity, its still neglect and the rabbits are still suffering. Sometimes a call from the RSPCA can be enough to shake them into gear.

Maybe though, give them some info to read and tell them exactly what they need to do? Yes, with letter being a good option.

I think you should call the RSPCA still. They will visit the property to make sure its all ok. They teach people before they decide to take the animals away and make a court case (as this is very expensive) so they will most likely say what needs to be done and come back later to see if it is. This gives them time to change evrything and learn what to do. It may also help rehome some of the new litters you expect and help can be made to get the male castrated from the blue cross who help when money is tight. They won't get into too much trouble first, just a warning so it would be the best thing to do for them and the buns :)

I do think a letter or not would be good to start with. if they are people you know you could see if the situation changes if it doesnt obvious she is not wanting to change and this is when i would call rspca.

some people do try there best and alittle bit of information and guideance is all it takes. but then other people just dont care about the feeling and pain they are putting animals through.

If you dont know what to write maybe someone on here could help

How annoying, I'd go round if I wasn't so far away, if I were you I'd be reporting them to the RSPCA - surely to god that has to come into their remit to at least go and advise - problem is if the owners really don't give two hoots and they don't listen then there's not much else can be done, the RSPCA won't want the rabbits dumped on them so will probably be reluctant to even go there.

It is neglect IMO - exactly what the RSPCA are supposed to stand for 'Prevention of cruelty to animals' well by advising this person that the animals need suitable housing for safety overnight and need to be neutered before being allowed to free range together that is prevention. Allowing the animals to be easy targets for a predator and not having adequate safe accomodation - allowing the doe to be mated over and over again is cruel not to mention the babies - honestly what is it with people and the sense that it's acceptable to be neglectful of rabbits - it has to stop !:evil:

I've looked online and the only way to report them to the RSPCA is by telephone - I can't use the telephone :( And I haven't got a clue what to write in a letter.

I've looked online and the only way to report them to the RSPCA is by telephone - I can't use the telephone :( And I haven't got a clue what to write in a letter.

PM the RSPCA on here and ask them to pass the details on - Becky86 or RSPCA Suffolk they must have contacts at other branches and can send an email on your behalf.:wave:

Lillian raised this with the RSPCA Suffolk on here and they are suggesting this

That would be something to raise with the main RSPCA because you have valid points.

In this situation, the best we could offer would be for her to locate her local RSPCA Branch or Centre (http://www.rspca.org.uk/inyourarea;...yC56t8yPRvLjsWrwMns!-2126108915!1299103393126 on the right of this page she can find it by region) and then contact them and talk to them and see what they say. They may have an e-mail address available for her to use.

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to suggest anything else.

Your going to have to find the strength to pick up the phone chick - those animals are dependent on you having the courage, don't mean to be harsh but, no harm can come to you if your telling the truth so do it!:wave:

Lillian raised this with the RSPCA Suffolk on here and they are suggesting this

Your going to have to find the strength to pick up the phone chick - those animals are dependent on you having the courage, don't mean to be harsh but, no harm can come to you if your telling the truth so do it!:wave:

If you can find your local one on ther they are likely to have an e-mail address and also possibly a 'contact us' form which you can use to try and see what they suggest.

My local RSPCA has an address to write to, I can quickly type a letter and post it tomorrow.

The person will know it was me, I'm really worried what they might do :?

My local RSPCA has an address to write to, I can quickly type a letter and post it tomorrow.

If you write to your local RSPCA, they will pass it to National. In fact, if you email it to our branch email address i will foward it to National welfare complaints for you. If you dont leave your details - they wont contact you so you wont know if they have been out sadly.

This isnt aimed at you Lillian, but what people dont realise is, local branches dont have an Inspector based there. For instance, our branch is just a handful of volunteers, we are here to help the animals, we have no power to remove animals or to go to members of the publics home, we just give up our spare time as we want to help animals.

If you write to your local RSPCA, they will pass it to National. In fact, if you email it to our branch email address i will foward it to National welfare complaints for you. If you dont leave your details - they wont contact you so you wont know if they have been out sadly.

This isnt aimed at you Lillian, but what people dont realise is, local branches dont have an Inspector based there. For instance, our branch is just a handful of volunteers, we are here to help the animals, we have no power to remove animals or to go to members of the publics home, we just give up our spare time as we want to help animals.

:wave: Thank you Becky.

:? I didn't know that either Becky to be fair, I assumed because my local branch has inspectors (salaried) I assumed that all the RSPCA branches had inspectors on the payroll - most members of the public who donate or pay by direct debit are paying to the national RSPCA aren't they? Why isn't that funding shared so each branch gets an equal share to employ people, it's very confusing I think. I didn't imagine that it was a completely voluntary organisation in some area's - I thought that there would be adequate funding for a 'skeleton' staff and the volunteers are in addition to that.

But you can defend yourself and you have the law on your side, what you do when you report cruelty or what 'you' percieve as cruelty is give the information legally and appropriately to an organisation who will then decide if there is sufficient grounds to intervene. Your not doing anything wrong, the RSPCA rely on the public to advise/inform them of things like this, the public are the 'eyes' and 'ears' - if there are any reprisals then you will have the law on your side, your not going there and stealing the animals and burning the hutches - your abiding by the law. People who are cruel to animals are cruel to animals because they are unable to defend themselves, you can't be frightened of reprisals because if everyone did that then there would be so many cases never reported. ((hugs)) you have to do what you feel comfortable doing, if you are very frightened then get someone else to do it for you, I would if I'd seen it myself or I knew you personally.:wave:

In the meantime, if you wanted to send a letter to the owners (it doesn't have to have your details on), I'm sure we could help you put the words together :wave:

Back