• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Bum??

kcbunny

Young Bun
Not posted in a while so hello :wave:

Just after some advice about my Frank. He is 3 years old and lives with his wife Missy in the shed in the garden.

About 6 weeks ago he had a horrendous poo bum :shock: I took him to the vets as couldnt clean him myself without distressing him (and me)

The vet shaved him and cleaned him up and had a good look at him.
She thought he was a little thin which I was amazed at as he is a huge bunny and to cut a long story short she had him back a week later and sorted his back teeth out a bit although said they werent overly bad. Also did bloods but nothing to worry about.

Have monitored his weight weekly since and he seems to be maintaining his weight. He is bright in himself, enjoys his runs out in the garden etc.

However another twice he has had a dirty bum .....luckily my neighbour is very confident with rabbits and has cleaned him up for me both times. She has suggested that I keep him off greens and just feed the pellets (excel) and hay.

Is there anything else that I should do or not do?? Why is this suddenly happening? our other 3 rabbits are all nice and clean.....

Any advice very gratefully received....am panicking about fly strike when the weather warms up.....

Excel pellets can cause excessive special poops I understand, so you could try cutting back on those, or changing slowly onto another brand, like Science Selective.

I have a bunny that cannot tolerate any food other than hay, due to constant mucky bottom... but wonder why your bunny has only just started doing this intermittently.

I would cut out veggies for a while, and pellets and re-stabalise the gut with hay only, then introduce a vegetable at a time gradually to see what is upsetting your bunny. If you find out what is causing it you can avoid that particular vegetable.

I totally agree with the comment above and try to find out whats causing the problem. My bun had something simular so I just fed hay for a while then increased bit by bit to veg and pellets. what gave her a dirty bum was fenugeek crunchies!! Which, unfortunatly are her favorite but now we've found out she just loves apples so she has them instead - only very small amounts though :)

Back