• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery from Gordon being ill

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Gordon is now improving by the day and will be going back outside one day in the next few days, I'm so worried and scared about him going back out though incase he gets poorly again :( The vet thinks he could've had stasis, with him not having his usual feeding routine and not having some of the foods that used to be in his daily routine I'm scared any little changes in his diet will make him ill. Is there anything I should do whilst he is still recovering? I will be getting back to his daily feeding routine gradually. Thankyou for any advice xx

I can sympathise with your concerns, especially as at this time of year we can still have some very cold nights. This is one of the reasons I'm postponing Spenser's neuter - we've had two heavy frosts this week. :shock: I hope someone more experienced comes along to offer advice soon. Spenser recovered very quickly, but he was ill in a warm September. What's your weather forecast like for the next few days?

Thanks :) My iPod says it will be sunny and around 7c but I'll have a look at the wheather forecast on tele as it can't always be trusted. Gordon seems a lot better now and has been having a good nosey round my room but I think he may be getting bored as he has started to chew the curtains. I don't want them getting used to the indoor temps so I think, if Gordon is well, they will be going back to their shed tomorrow but I'm very nervous about it. I will be checking on them regularly, even through the night.

They are back outside in their shed now, Gordon went and sat in the litter tray whilst Beano had a good look round. Gordon then went for a look around and I left him eating a fenugreek crunchie. I'm very worried about him being back out but he has been in long enough. I haven't given them any herbage, forage or apple twigs as he isn't had them since sunday when he got ill and I didn't want to give him lots more stuff in his diet suddenly.

Hope all goes well for them. Let us know how they seem later on. I'm sure you've already checked the predicted temperatures for tonight in case it is going to dip. I'm sure they'll be cosy enough snuggled up together in their hay.

Back