• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent plant identifying help needed

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
Hi can anyone tell me what this leaf is & is it anything to worry about if a bun eats one, Jingle ate one about an hour ago - he is acting fine but, it's playing on my mind a little as he sort of put his paws up to his face and almost gagged
leafid.jpg

Does anyone recognise it, it's a small clump with short stems that to my knowledge doesn't flower, I've searched on google and the closest I can see to the leaf shape is bindweed - thanks

Looks like a type of ivy to me....but Im hopeless with plants.:shock:

I thought that as it has sort of black bits on the leaves but the shape at the bottom is very similar to a bindweed picture I found on google but the leaf didn't have the black bits. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack :roll:

Looks like a lilac leaf with is harmless. But not sure.

Were the stalks sticking up out of the ground, long, thin upright and high. Any purlpe flowers in bloom yet. Any other details ?

I think the black bits are some sort of blight or fungus not marks on the leaf, you need prettylupin or Bavarian bunny our plant experts!

I thought that as it has sort of black bits on the leaves but the shape at the bottom is very similar to a bindweed picture I found on google but the leaf didn't have the black bits. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack :roll:

Yes it could be a bind leaf. It looks like that more than lilac. I had both in the garden and both harmless. Was it twisting around plants ? Its not ivy.

Looks like bindweed to me, there are a few different types! Google "Convolvulus". The only one you REALLY need to worry about is Morning Glory, Convolvulus ipomoeeae, that has hallucinogenic properties and should not go anywhere near buns!

Yes it could be a bind leaf. It looks like that more than lilac. I had both in the garden and both harmless. Was it twisting around plants ? Its not ivy.

No it's a clump of leafs together in a bunch it reminds me of cyclamen in shape - no flowers just the leaves, hancy your pic looks very similar but it's not that glossy it's sort of matt and I can't see the top of the leaf - I'm going to google that name though

Thanks everyone xx

No it's a clump of leafs together in a bunch it reminds me of cyclamen in shape - no flowers just the leaves, hancy your pic looks very similar but it's not that glossy it's sort of matt and I can't see the top of the leaf - I'm going to google that name though

Thanks everyone xx

Am I on ignore? It is not Ivy Bind Weed or anything it is Arum.

The plant is said to be one of the most common causes of accidental plant poisoning based on attendance at hospital A & E departments though this may be because the irritation of the tongue and mouth is more likely to result in hospital attendance than a simple stomach upset from, say, eating a daffodil bulb thinking it to be an onion.

Could someone quote me on this please.

The plant is said to be one of the most common causes of accidental plant poisoning based on attendance at hospital A & E departments though this may be because the irritation of the tongue and mouth is more likely to result in hospital attendance than a simple stomach upset from, say, eating a daffodil bulb thinking it to be an onion.

Could someone quote me on this please.[/QUOT

Could someone quote me on this please.

:wave: Hi Hancy I replied on my last post but you didn't see I am currently trying to get another image of it - I'm stressing a bit now if he's eaten a leaf of that! I've already managed to get him to eat a load of parsely soaking wet and he ate some of his dried food aswell but, wouldn't drink or take cucumber:roll:

It looks to me very like Arum, locally known as Cuckoo Pint, Lords & Ladies, Jack in the Pulpit. I'm sorry I can't put a link here, my laptop doesn't work properly but if you do a search there are plenty of items with pictures.

Definately not bindweed, the leaves are rounder and don't have the black splodges.

Hope Jingle is okay, might be worth having a word with a vet about it.

Back