• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why did you get rabbits?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
You can say because they were cute, but must give another reasons :D

For me:
I have always been an animal lover since I was little.
I saw rabbits at the pet shops 3 years ago and i said I want them.
After 2 weeks of visiting the pet shop and of researching I was ready for mine :D
The 3rd week I got Charlie :D
I wasn't allowed a cat or dog that's why i decided I was going to get a rabbit.

A house isn't a home without pets. I haven't got a cat flap so kitties were out the window so we got our boys :love:

For me... I always had animals at home, so when I came to university it was a bit of a shock. I get stressed quite easily and find that having animals around me helps me to relax (selfish I know) plus I love looking after animals.

I did quite a bit of research into what pet would be best and that I wanted and narrowed it down to degu's or rabbits. I then saw a picture of Oscar on preloved (I know I know!) that I fell in love with and the rest, as they say, is history :love:

Nobody could have been more surprised than myself. I grew up in a pet free zone, but was utterly smitten when friends got a rabbit for thier young children (yes, I know, and he was from a breeder too). It took me 8 months to convince my parents, who are now devoted to their grand-rabbit! :lol:

I've always loved animals, since I was just a toddler. I wasn't particually interested in rabbits though, until my mum told me about the ones she'd had as a girl. We were walking through a field and watching some wildies paly at the time. She asked me hypothetically whether I'd like buns and I decided at that moment that I would. I had to wait several years though, until it was a good time. Every birthday and Easter I'd get a toy rabbit or a rabbit ornament as a sort of 'voucher'. I did eventually get my boys though, and now they're my favourite animals! :love:

I have had guinea pigs for many years, I currently have 10 :lol: and I saw Sophie on a rescue website and fell in love with her....she was only 4 months old so I had her spayed when she was 6 months and got her a husbun when she was 8 months old ;) I just fell in love with her cute face and she is sooo cuddly :love: I hadn't had rabbits before but they make fab house pets :D

I've always loved rabbits, and worked with them at the rspca a few years ago. My parents would never let me have one though.
A couple of years ago however, I found a stray rabbit on the street outside my house. I was supposed to re-home her, but she won us over, and she is now a much loved girly. I got Brian because I didnt like seeing her alone.

i am the same and i have always liked bunnies. my friend always had house buns and i loved watching them play and go about their business! they fascinate and amuse me.
since getting my first one i have been hooked.

since bringing mine indoors i hardly watch the tv, the buns are just to much fun!:lol:

I was living at my mums and a dog wasn't practical because I didn't know that I'd go somewhere that would allow dogs.

Me and the OH wanted a bigger pet than the mice and gerbils. I wanted ferrets, he said no. I suggested guineas he said no. He decided on rabbits, I begrudgingly agreed.

A few months later I found out he had no idea what guinea pigs were, then we visited some ferrets at the RSPCA and it totally changed his mind about them :roll:

i've never really been a rabbit lover.
i had one as a child and thought she was cute, but that was about it really.

my mum has always had rabbits since i was about 14 but i never really "got it"

then i met snowball :love:
went to the pet shop with my son to get a some more fish and snowball was there licking me through the bars and going square nosed for attention.

i got him out for a cuddle and that was it, i was smitten.
i said i would leave it to fate - if he was still there by the saturday, which was the next day i could go in because of uni, then i would take him.
if he wasn't, it was fate.

i panicked though as soon as i got home, i knew he had to be mine and i was so so so scared that someone would steal him from me
i rang every day to check he wasn't sold yet and pressed my face to the window of the pet shop on the way to and from uni to make sure he was ok.

i couldn't wait til saturday - i skipped the friday at uni because i was so panicked that someone would buy him before i did.
i put a reservation down and waited until the next week for him and picked him up on christmas eve :)

You can say because they were cute, but must give another reasons :D

For me:
I have always been an animal lover since I was little.
I saw rabbits at the pet shops 3 years ago and i said I want them.
After 2 weeks of visiting the pet shop and of researching I was ready for mine :D
The 3rd week I got Charlie :D
I wasn't allowed a cat or dog that's why i decided I was going to get a rabbit.

1.well the first reason for me would have to be ive always wanted one ever since i was little every time i saw one i wanted one and was told repeatably.

2. i am the only girl in the house apart from my mom and it gets lonely in my room sometimes. so i wanted some company.

3. ever since i was little ive always been an animal lover.

there are probably more reasons but i forget some times lol

i actually never reaseached rabbits but i worked with them at college. and my bf had, had them before. me and the bf had decided to get to baby rabbits from pets at home. we went straight away after collage and we saw stallion and scooter there along with some other rabbits. at that point i hadnt quite decided which one i wanted, anyways i bent down next to the cage and put my hand on the glass and stallion licked at the place my hand was at. so i had decided immediately that we were gonna buy him then we had to pick one to go along with him the first choice was a female nethie but they would let us take her, especially seen as we had just got a male. so we repicked again and scooter was our choice i liked him because of his markings and he was very energetic and playful. we took both bunnies home scooter was my bfs favourite even back then he was jumpy and wasnt good at being handled.

but anyways ill get on with it, a couple of months down the line both of the boys started to fight and both had injuries but scooter was the worser of the too his leg had been ripped open, it did look like he needed stichs but thankfully he didnt he just needed some much needed TLC. anyways the bfs mother said that she cudnt keep both of them with them fighting and they both were not the right age yet to be done. so i asked my mom if i cud have him and she let me have him and hes lived here ever since.

I got a bunny because...
1.They're cute :oops:
2. I can't have cats or dogs, or any animal that has to live inside :(
3. I always loved animals but could never have any, and then I saw the cutest little bunny in a pet shop...(Yes...I know...:oops:)and well...l :oops::oops:

I am an animal lover but never really considered rabbits but I was always one for picking up waifs and strays.
One night Mike and I were driving home from a badminton match ( about 11pm in November) when I spotted a young rabbit on the duel carraigeway. I made Mike turn the car around at the next round about, we went up the other side of the duel carriageway, turned again at the next roundabout to come back down, I was panicking that another car would have hit him because he was in the fast lane. Mike stopped the car on the edge of the road, I jumped out ran across both lanes and scooped him up.
He had a broken front leg and a bashed eye, so we tucked him up overnight and took him to the vet the next day. The vet didn't expect him to live due to the stress of everything because he was a wildie.
He survived, was castrated and we bought 2 dwarf lop girls as company for him. When the 2 girls died we got another 2 rescue girls, but sadly Benji died soon after- he was 9.
After that we kept being asked to take in buns and grew rather fond of the little hoppers.:D

I had no intention of getting a bunny.Had them when I was a kid, and I was very small, my sister was the owner really.I shared.
I got ferrets when I was about 24......
Mrs Bun was an accident.A stray I took in.She had nowhere else to go.I thought she was a boy.She smelt and thumped (I thought male bunnies thumped.....:oops::oops::oops:).....
I came on here.Fatal.:oops::roll::shock::lol::lol:

Well to be honest a lot of people I knew from guinea pig forums had rabbits and I had fallen in love a wee bit with them! So I mentioned to Helen from Sokel rescue that I was thinking of getting a bunny. She said she had Tika who was a Simese Sable doe who had been placed in rescue because the owners thought she was ugly! :shock:

She was a stunning bunny, we got Harvey for her two months later! :)

beacause I wasent aloud a dog or a horse... :lol:
they seemed interesting and my friend was looking for a home for some babies hers had.

I thought about it for a long time and felt I could give a pair of buns a really good home, with all the buns living in tiny shoe box hutches I wanted to give two a chance to have a good life, I chose buns because they are sadly the most neglected pet and black buns because they are one of the colours which are over looked.

I've always had rescue cats when the last one died me and my dad were heartbroken mum banned us from getting another one owing to the state me and dad were in! It took me 10yrs to think about furries again now on my own I decided I couldn't have another cat because the road outside is too busy then I saw a friends bunnies and fell in love! I fostered a pair of poorly bunnies for a short while and sobbed my heart out when they left so enter D&D :D

ive umed and arred about rabbits for a few years before on and off usually reading about the destruction put me off but my cat had died a few months before and altho he didnt live in my house i saw him every day at my moms, me and Ste was visiting his family and they had a deaf collie puppy who the farmer didnt want so she was living with stes sis somehow she came home to brum with us for my mom to fill the hole she had after losing her dog a year before and my cat a few months before.

she was too much for my mom :( so i had her stay with me while she recovered from her spay, sadly her in our house made Ralph depressed so against my will she went back to Ste's sis :cry: :cry: i needed to mend my heart (she was only with me for a week and a bit :lol:) Ste said yes to a bunny so i checked he would be ok for travel (mixed views online), ordered a cage and went to get him that day.......

day one of the biggest obsession of my life :lol:

i still see Patch everyday now when we drop Ralph off at stes sis, shes still amazing and strangely in her house Ralph gets on with her :? so it was win win for me haha

Back