• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not always easy

Firstly, I think if possible bunnies should be kept in pairs or more but it's not as simple as people make out. :(

Lots of people on here say that if you have one bunny, you should get it a friend but many of times, you just cause stress to that person and their bunny. :? I got Blossom as a friend for Jasper and did they bond? No, they hated each other and would have ripped each other to shreds. :cry: I also know someone who was forced to get their bun a friend, did, and ended up rehoming their current bun after a huge fight. Surely if bunny's were meant to be, they wouldn't fight?

We kind of force our bunnies to be friends. I think it's much better when buns come in pairs or groups or it's love at first sight. Getting another bunny doesn't always make your rabbits life better, it can make it worse. :(

Sorry for this weird thread, just feeling really down as I may have to rehome Blossom now and I love her and don't want to let her go but that just makes me selfish as she doesn't have a friend. :cry:

I am a strong believer of bunnies having companions of their own kind but if I recommend it to someone I always make a point of explaining that the best option would be to go to a rescue where your bunny can pick its own partner, or you can try various bunnies to find a good match. Anyone who just goes and gets a companion themselves should only do so if they have space to keep them seperate. Bonding is 100% worth it everytime, bunnies are so much happier together, but it is a very stressful business and requires a lot of patience.

I am a strong believer of bunnies having companions of their own kind but if I recommend it to someone I always make a point of explaining that the best option would be to go to a rescue where your bunny can pick its own partner, or you can try various bunnies to find a good match. Anyone who just goes and gets a companion themselves should only do so if they have space to keep them seperate. Bonding is 100% worth it everytime, bunnies are so much happier together, but it is a very stressful business and requires a lot of patience.

This. There's no need to commit to a rabbit before you know if it'll get along with your current one. No one should be "forcing their bunnies to be friends".

I think this is really important. This is something we discuss in great depth when adopting from where I volunteer, and we suggest they foster a rabbit until they are sure they are going to bond. We aim to work with them so that adopter, adopted rabbit and original rabbit are all happy.

When getting an additional rabbit it requires some common sense and awareness, in a lot of cases. It doesn't always work and the person needs to be ready and prepared and able to deal with that. That's also why it worthwhile getting a rabbit from someone who undertands rabbits and their welfare and even who may be able to bond for you.

I'm sorry you have to rehome Blossom. I have no idea about her circumstances so none of what I said is a reflection on you or your situation. It can be hard to let somebunny go even if you knwo its best. Have you thought about getting someone else to bond for you? Say a rescue, for a donation? At least the you'll know you tried everything (if you've already done that, then disregard that, lol).

Oh this. Why did I not read this before posting?

I think bunnies are best off in neutered/spayed male/female pairs who have been properly introduced and bonded.

Did you have anyone help with bonding?

I also think that rabbits should have friends but I don't think they have to. Please don't upset yourself, Blossom may be a little unhappy now due to the stress of bonding, but I'm sure if you spend lots of time with her as a single bun she will cheer up and be happy with you as her bonded partner. If it ever becomes possible then I would recommend getting her a rescue friend but in the meantime spend lots of time with her, and by the sounds of it your mum spends timw ith her too, and make sure she has lots to do :wave: xxx

Im mixed with this to be honest:?

Lola is a very happy little girl shes always with humans and sits and grooms me, plays with me, snuggles with me and we have such a close bond. In my eye's she is very happy without a friend.

Charlie and Delilah however hate attention, refused to have snuggles, will not play and only ever see a human as a food ticket. They are so happy together and I see them grooming each other, snuggling and playing together.

Dougal is very laid back and loves snuggles however he has never been with another bunny and doesnt know any better he loves human attention.

It really depends on the rabbit in my eyes, if you have the time, love and attention to give to a single bun go for it but if you don't have so much time a pair is so much better :wave:

I think this is really important. This is something we discuss in great depth when adopting from where I volunteer, and we suggest they foster a rabbit until they are sure they are going to bond. We aim to work with them so that adopter, adopted rabbit and original rabbit are all happy.

When getting an additional rabbit it requires some common sense and awareness, in a lot of cases. It doesn't always work and the person needs to be ready and prepared and able to deal with that. That's also why it worthwhile getting a rabbit from someone who undertands rabbits and their welfare and even who may be able to bond for you.

I'm sorry you have to rehome Blossom. I have no idea about her circumstances so none of what I said is a reflection on you or your situation. It can be hard to let somebunny go even if you knwo its best. Have you thought about getting someone else to bond for you? Say a rescue, for a donation? At least the you'll know you tried everything (if you've already done that, then disregard that, lol).

I was trying to bond her into my trio which Jasper, her origional husbun is now part of. :( http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272305

Sorry if I've missed this, but are you going to try bond jasper and blossom seperately? Yes Jasper may already bonded to mischief and tink, but it's a fairly new bond and it was always mischief and tink to start with. Plus if he's with Blossom, no one will be lonely and the two pairs could still have through-mesh contact. Some people may disagree with me about breaking up a bond, but I think in these circumstances it could be considered?

Sorry if I've missed this, but are you going to try bond jasper and blossom seperately? Yes Jasper may already bonded to mischief and tink, but it's a fairly new bond and it was always mischief and tink to start with. Plus if he's with Blossom, no one will be lonely and the two pairs could still have through-mesh contact. Some people may disagree with me about breaking up a bond, but I think in these circumstances it could be considered?

I agree with Demi, 2 pairs are better then a trio and a single :wave:

that was an idea, but tbh Jasper seems to get on more with Tink than Mischief does. :shock: I would feel worse splitting Jasper from them than Mischief as Mischief loves everyone. :love: :lol:

This is why my advice is always go to a rescue and see if they can bond your current rabbit with a suitable partner. If they cant bond them with any of their buns then you at least know you've tried and dont have another single bun on your hands.

that was an idea, but tbh Jasper seems to get on more with Tink than Mischief does. :shock: I would feel worse splitting Jasper from them than Mischief as Mischief loves everyone. :love: :lol:

I think if Mischief and Tink still get on though, surely it's better bonding Jasper with Blossom? Or could you bond Blossom and Mischief?

My bunnies were bonded but fell out. They will not rebond despite my, and a rescues, attempts.

I am not in a position to adopt 3 more rabbits to pair up my 3 singles and so they have to stay that way.

I don't think bunny companionship is black and white. I agree that bunnies seem happier when they are bonded but also think that some buns may just not want to be with another bun. I guess there may be loner buns just as there are recluse humans. It is probably a bit like a bunny version of an arranged marriage - some are very happy and others aren't.

I do feel that if a bun is a singleton it is important that he or she has lots of human company and, if possible, is a housebun.

I don't have single bunnies because I work long hours and just don't have enough time to spend with any of my fur family. It would be unfair of me to keep a bunny alone.

I think that having a single bunny who receives a lot of human interaction, has toys and stimulus, is very different from a single bunny who is kept in a hutch and who only sees someone once or twice a day when being fed.

Bunny love is fantastic. I never tire of seeing my buns snuggle and groom each other but I have been really lucky and have never had long term problems with my bonds.

I didn't get Blossom from a rescue, I rescued her from a life of pure neglect. I wasn't going to see if they bonded and leave her there if not.

I don't think anyone is saying you should of left her there, you did the right thing in rescuing her. The point I was making was that in normal circumstances if someone asked me about a companion for their rabbit I'd suggest a rescue everytime. Are you only considering rehoming purely because she doesn't have a friend? I'm assuming you have the space as have been keeping her seperate up till now?

Yesterday the PDSA highlighted that their report showed lots of bunnies are living alone and are lonely - I wonder how many people will see that and go out and buy a pet shop bun and expect to just be able to put them in the same hutch? I know they meant well but I think Daybreak should of explained how complex bonding bunnies was as I have a feeling rescues could be inundated with fighting bunnies soon. :(

I don't think anyone is saying you should of left her there, you did the right thing in rescuing her. The point I was making was that in normal circumstances if someone asked me about a companion for their rabbit I'd suggest a rescue everytime. Are you only considering rehoming purely because she doesn't have a friend? I'm assuming you have the space as have been keeping her seperate up till now?

Yesterday the PDSA highlighted that their report showed lots of bunnies are living alone and are lonely - I wonder how many people will see that and go out and buy a pet shop bun and expect to just be able to put them in the same hutch? I know they meant well but I think Daybreak should of explained how complex bonding bunnies was as I have a feeling rescues could be inundated with fighting bunnies soon. :(

I think so too.

Some rescues do bonding for a donation - they are very experienced and do a fab job - can you not approach a rescue and ask for help?

and lots of babies...

Back