• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringe feeding

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
I do not envy you guys who have to do this regularly at all! Just had to give Oscar some recovery food to get him eating and pooing, and it took a good 15 minutes to catch him, pick him up and wrap him in a towel to give it to him. He needs it every hour or so too :?

Good news, we have slight nomming and a few small poos :D

If its taking you that long to grab him I'd take that as a good sign, he's obviously still feeling pretty well in his self. You'll soon get the knack the more you do it.

If its taking you that long to grab him I'd take that as a good sign, he's obviously still feeling pretty well in his self. You'll soon get the knack the more you do it.

Yes, that's one thing I guess. He's flopped out again now though :love:

Brian just accepts it as daily life. He does try to run away from me when he knows its meds time, but once i've got him, he just lets me syringe him. I guess they eventually realise you aren't going to harm them.

Hope Oscar decides to nom for himself soon. Is syringe-feeding usual practice post-neuter or is it just done if the bunny doesn't start eating soon after coming round?

Is syringe-feeding usual practice post-neuter or is it just done if the bunny doesn't start eating soon after coming round?

Only if needed. I've had 11 bunnies spayed/neutered and never had to syringe feed post op, even the ones that had a history of tummy probs and had needed syringe feeding previously all started eating by themselves.

Hope Oscar decides to nom for himself soon. Is syringe-feeding usual practice post-neuter or is it just done if the bunny doesn't start eating soon after coming round?

I'm not sure really... The vet said it's become practice there now as they have had a few rabbits who didn't start eating and it helps their guts to start moving. It's Science Selective recovery shes given me

Science selective has an appetite stimulant in it but I wouldn't prescribe it with every neuter. Vets normally wait to see a bunny eating before they go back to the owner. Has the bunny been sent home with metacam/pain relief?

Science selective has an appetite stimulant in it but I wouldn't prescribe it with every neuter. Vets normally wait to see a bunny eating before they go back to the owner. Has the bunny been sent home with metacam/pain relief?

No, no pain relief, just that food. Should he have had pain relief as well?

How's Oscar now? :wave:

He's still being quite quiet and has spent most the night flopped out, but he's been nomming a bit and is actually hoovering bits of hay off the carpet now! I've not given him much more of the recovery food because it just seems to make him more stressed trying to catch him, though he was licking it off the end earlier!
Thanks for asking :wave:

Back