• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are Rex hocks??

:wave:Foot (heel specifically I think). Rexes are prone to getting sore hocks because their fur is so fine.

xx

A hock is on the underside of the back legs. A place where especially in Rex cases, the fur can be very thin and fine. This in turn can cause a few problems.

They can suffer from sore hocks by being on carpet, concrete slabs. Basically you just have to be aware of anything that is liable to cause irritation to the hocks.

A nice soft lawn is ideal.

I am sure someone else will come up with a more detailed explanation, but in a nutshell it is the above.

:lol: Hocks are the back paws & all bunnies have them, rexes are prone to the hair thinning particularly on the 'hock' boney bit (heel) but, it can spread and become sore all the way down the hock if they are on the wrong surface or /and if the fur surrounding the sore area gets wet and flattened down it can increase the pressure on the sore area and so it gets worse ..a circle and not nice for little rexy buns at all.:wave:

I looked at a pic from google of rex hoxks and a circle hole type thing was on their feet. D:
It was probably sore.

I looked at a pic from google of rex hoxks and a circle hole type thing was on their feet. D:
It was probably sore.

Yes a little pressure point where the fur has eroded probably, it starts like that and if left it will get worse and spread, it's prone to infection because of the location of the soreness and treatment is tricky because you don't want to flatten the surrounding fur that is 'cushioning' the sore spot so creams etc are tricky plus they can be ingested, best thing is to change the surface to as natural as possible like grass or a thick thick layer of straw then hay on top.

I have a fluffy lop and she had slightly sore hocks once too, so it can still happen to even the fluffiest of feet. I think it's where she slept/sat most of the day on top of her plastic hidey hole she used to have, it wasn't cushioned or flexible enough. I removed it and she's now in a new cage and I haven't had any trouble since then, I still need to keep an eye on it though, as even carpets can be abrasive sometimes. The only thing you can do is remove the cause of it, make sure the surfaces that they spend a lot of time on have enough cushioning, hay should be fine and even newspaper can help.

Sore hocks can happen to all bunnies if they are on an abrasive surface so it is something all owners should know about :thumb:

when I do bring my rabbits inside .. they sit on the kitchen tiles and the wood flooring.
Is their anything I could do?

Tiles and wood flooring aren't bad providing their nails aren't too long. I had problems on a certain carpet in my room, since having lino they've been much improved. Even Mini's right one which is caused by her leg being slightly out after an accident a few years ago.

Kl
Lol you tried make me feel like a bad owner :lol::lol:
'Sore hocks can happen to all bunnies if they are on an abrasive surface so it is something all owners should know about'
I knew rabbit feet could get sore but didn't know what the connection between a hock and rex was.
Now I know they have soft and thin fur .. :D

Kl
Lol you tried make me feel like a bad owner :lol::lol:
'Sore hocks can happen to all bunnies if they are on an abrasive surface so it is something all owners should know about'
I knew rabbit feet could get sore but didn't know what the connection between a hock and rex was.
Now I know they have soft and thin fur .. :D

I think Schuette just meant that it's good you asked even though you don't have a Rex. Good to bring it to other people's attention too who also may not know :)

Sorry if it made you feel like a bad owner :? but that was never my intention. My intention was to say that even if someone doesn't have a rex it is still a valid question so it's good to ask.

Oh loll
Never realised :p Sorryy :oops:
I don't know any male rabbit owner on here lol! I feel alone
I thought Tamsin was a male aswell as in her display pic you cant see her hair, but then some referred to her as she! I was like OH

Back