• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone want 5 rabbits who are sitting in their own filth without water?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Went to see a woman about a run, she's trying to get rid of her rabbits. 3ft cages filled with sawdust and poo, no water, obese rabbits in a dark garage.

I said I'd take them (of course) but she needs to "think about it" because she's " very attached them" I am finding it very hard to walk away from - I just want to say "please give them some water..." She says she's going away this weekend and her brother's looking after them. If that's the job that she does "as someone who is attached to them" god knows what her brother's going to do.

I need to somehow get them out of there before the weekend, or if I don't and she refuses, call the RSPCA.

If they have no water and their cages are in that condition then the best option is to call the RSPCA now so they have time to deal. If you wait to the weekend they may not be able to get anyone there until Monday.

Call the RSPCA now. She won't give them up. They should never have a life like that, she is obviously not coping with them.

If they have no water and their cages are in that condition then the best option is to call the RSPCA now so they have time to deal. If you wait to the weekend they may not be able to get anyone there until Monday.

Ditto.

They are not meeting the five freedoms' rule.

Surely this is breaking the law?

Call the RSPCA - if they dont have water then they cam actually do something about it :wave:

Plus, if they visit, she might 'get rid' so she doesnt have the hassle of a follow up visit :)

Poor bunnies.
They didnt ask to be treated this way.
Please call the RSPCA.
They might have a chance at life.A decent life.

I am worried the RSPCA will not be quick enough off the mark. While I've got her "on side" (so to speak, I feel like she might make a decision tonight and let me just take them out of there.

With the RSPCA it's tricky because, say I call them today and they go round tomorrow. If she gives them a bit of water by tomorrow, they can't do anything.... They're just sitting in cages that haven't been cleaned for weeks. All the RSPCA will do is give her a warning, won't they?

The RSPCA will give her an improvement notice which lists what she must do, then follow up with another visit to ensure it is done. If it's not then they can take further action.

If the cages are in that poor condition even giving them a splash of water would probably still warrant a notice. They usually also give them the option of just signing them over.

How heartbreaking, I am keeping everything crosses she does the right thing and hands them over to you x

So if I call them now, they will definitely go and see this woman? Are they obliged to do it?

Yes.They are very good.I rang them once about a dog.
Went there that very afternoon and the dog in question was full of matts.Hes now perfect!! Im so glad I rang them.The gent was an old man...just needed a bit of re education!!(in this case).

Well I have called the RSPCA.

She was thick enough, so she may not assume it's me.

I just feel depressed, so depressed to think that those buns are there tonight with no water and stuck in those tiny hutches. But they must've been like that their whole lives. And there are millions of others like them.

How can I be happy when I know there are little beings in the world, who are living like this? I know rescues have to put up with it every day and you need a different sort of strength that I don't have.

She was picking them up and there was that "scrabble" of inch-long claws on poo and wee stained wood, and trying to run away that you get from buns that are never handled or given attention.

When I go to pick up mine, they flatten down a bit but let it happen because they know they're not going to be hurt.

I just feel depressed, so depressed to think that those buns are there tonight with no water and stuck in those tiny hutches. But they must've been like that their whole lives. And there are millions of others like them.

How can I be happy when I know there are little beings in the world, who are living like this? I know rescues have to put up with it every day and you need a different sort of strength that I don't have.

She was picking them up and there was that "scrabble" of inch-long claws on poo and wee stained wood, and trying to run away that you get from buns that are never handled or given attention.

When I go to pick up mine, they flatten down a bit but let it happen because they know they're not going to be hurt.

Oh C, youve done the right thing in my opinion.
Dont feel bad.I just hope those bunnies are in warm digs with food, water and comfort tonight.and it will be thanks to you.xxxxxx

:cry:how aweful...hope this ends with god news for those poor bunnies...well done for taking some action....poor little buns...:cry:

My older adopted rabbits & Gizmo don't like being picked up unless something is wrong and sometimes rabbits that are in tiny hutches don't resist because there is no-where to run to and they learn to stay still because resistance is futile (breeders doing checks etc), I would take it as a positive they are resisting actually.

Lack of water is cruel and neglect, I would have said 'where's their water, would you like a hand to refill them while we are talking' - I hope they intervene and at least insist on food and water, trouble is they will make an appointment if she doesn't allow entry - she can refuse aswell so all in all, I'm not sure if your original plan was the better option personally :? I feel for you because it's awful to have to have this on your mind and all completely unnecessary. (hugs) don't be depressed, your doing what you can do.

It sounds horrific. Those poor bunnies and poor you seeing that. Just seeing it in pictures online is horrible enough but I can't imagine how difficult it must be to still be civil to :evil: like that. You did the right thing. I hope the RSPCA get round there asap.

Back