• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mods Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think perhaps you are being rather judgemental.

Rabbits dont always NEED human attention, especially if paired/trio/quads/larger groups.

As long as their needs are taken care of, and everything is done as it shuold be, re vets, vaccs, etc, then whats the problem?

Rabbits dont always NEED human attention, especially if paired/trio/quads/larger groups.

As long as their needs are taken care of, and everything is done as it shuold be, re vets, vaccs, etc, then whats the problem?

Sorry but I agree with this. Many people on this forum have large amounts of bunnies and its clear they are looked after. Many other people have 1 bunny and dont bother to look after it. Its down to the person not the amount. :)

maybe should have made clearer it was a small bungalow all buns where indoors.

We still cant be sure that they weren't getting the best care though. He could have used all the space he had to make large homes for them. Its amazing what you can do with a small amount of space :D.

maybe its just me i feel awfull for ruby having to stay in her hutch even when she will have her 8x 5 run and gets plenty of fusses and treats im always trying to improve, a good £200 has gone on my buns in one month thats housing spay and food etc...... now thats for 1 bun and her babies... for 26 buns thats mad!:roll:

If I fussed Sally for an hour I would then be taking her to the vet for stress induced GI Stasis:lol:

I think its really good that the buns were in pairs:love:

Are your bun outdoor buns? Its just that I have five house buns and they all live upstairs away from my dog. I think they are all perfectly happy:love:

maybe its just me i feel awfull for ruby having to stay in her hutch even when she will have her 8x 5 run and gets plenty of fusses and treats im always trying to improve, a good £200 has gone on my buns in one month thats housing spay and food etc...... now thats for 1 bun and her babies... for 26 buns thats mad!:roll:

Buns dont cost too much if they are all healthy and already neutered etc. Apart from the vaccs, its only food and hay which could be bulk bought

as long as the buns really did have enough space and were in pairs I don't see a problem either.

Most rabbits don't even like human attention and would happily go without it, I know mine would!:lol:

I've always kind of wondered what folk with loads of house bunnies manage in terms of space and stuff.

I'd hate to think how many square feet 26 bunnies would need.:shock:

I suppose he didnt mention Vaccs....
:?

My buns are outdoor Ok not 1 hour of stroking but generally health check making sure shes eating checking babies over and being with them.

I know people who have small places its not the amount of space its the fact on one pension youd have to keep emergency amount of money to make sure you had a back up incase of multiple rabbits become ill:shock:
If ruby And Jay had both got i have the back up amount to make sure both can be treated....

for example 5 of the 26 rabbits become poorly how on earth would this person pay for 5 and then afford housing etc for the others???

Just because someone's on pensions it doesn't mean they don't have a stash of cash in the bank or under the mattress.

I totally agree.

Rabbits are much happier in the company of their own kind, they settle for humans/other animals if they have none of their own species and even though many rabbits enjoy a fuss and treats from their owners, they would, in general, prefer their own species.

If you live simply and bulk buy, you could afford the upkeep of the rabbits.
I am on a below average wage and afford to rent privately, keep my son in decent clothes, food and treats, keep a horse, dog, cats, rabbits, guinea pig, hamster and fish and insurances (horse and dog) and vet bills for them.

I've got eight buns and nine cats and work two jobs so they don't get a huge amount of one-to-one time with me.

I genuinely believe they are happy though - they have each other to 'talk' to and snuggle with. They tolerate cuddles from me, but so long as I turn up regularly with noms, they are happy.

yeah, he could certainly pay for that many and there are people here with more than 26 indoor rabbits. rabbits are very cheap compared to dogs and cats, depending on how you keep them. baled hay, grow and forage for their food, newspaper for lining cages instead of bedding, homemade toys, etc. Cats are so much more; just food for one cat a month is about $10 and that's if you're only feeding dried food, and then there's litter costs.

Maybe there's no point in wasting energy judging people's setups/care standards when we don't know any of the details.

If you feel strongly about rabbit welfare, you'd be better off using your time to volunteer for a rescue or similar, than stewing about whether some chap you've never met does or does not give his rabbits enough cuddles.

Do you think Jane is evil because she has more than 30 indoor rabbits? I have visited them and they looked very happy to me. :) And most of my own bunnies are quite keen to avoid any "fuss". :lol: A large number of pets is not ideal in case someone dies or has to move, but a lot of people make sure a rescue or someone they trust gets money to look after the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back