• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone use beaphar anti-parasite spot on?

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
I haven't used anything like this before and I was wondering if this was something that I should be doing? I only have the two rabbits and they are both indoors.

Yes Ive used it! Just to makesure we are taking about the same one, is it the one with a few little pippettes in the box and the active ingredient is Ivermectin? Ive used it to treat fur mites, it worked brilliantly and was recommended by some others on here as Ivermectin is one of the main medicines vets use to treat mites except they charge a lot more for it!!

I've used it to treat fleas and it worked well. I don't use it as a preventative though, just as and when needed.

Yes the one I have has 4 tubes in it and contains ivermectin, it says to put a drop on the back of the rabbits neck. I presumed it was only for preventative measures, can this be used for treatment as well or is this a different product? I just want to make sure if I should be using it for prevention or if I should just keep it to hand in case they ever do get mites etc.

I have never used it and would only do so if there were parasites. I don't worm my bunnies either, it causes them too much stress and they have been healthy so far.

I have never used it and would only do so if there were parasites. I don't worm my bunnies either, it causes them too much stress and they have been healthy so far.

This is what I was worried about, I didn't want to put anything on them if there was nothing to worry about. That's good then, I'll keep it in my first-aid box in case I need it. :D

Snap, I took Gizmo to the vets for suspected mites and he was prescribed 3 little tubes of Invectermin, I wouldn't use it on rabbits like cats and dogs because they are always going to have a small amount of mites and it's a useful indicator if they get out of hand on a rabbit that something else might not be right. As long as you address mites quickly and don't leave them to escalate you don't really need preventative treatments I think.:wave:

Need help de-fleaing!

I've used it to treat fleas and it worked well. I don't use it as a preventative though, just as and when needed.

Hi, just made myself an account to ask this haha. But I have a rex and applied this stuff to her earlier on today (probably about 5 hours ago or so) she's a house bun and rarely goes outside so I spent the best part of 3 hours spraying everything/washing all my clothes e.t.c so i know everything is decontaminated, I even steamed all her toys, however I just went in to check on her and it doesn't look like there's any dead fleas... in fact I saw about 5 living ones scurry back into her fur.

My question was going to be, how long did it take for the topical ivermectin to kill the fleas on your rabbit? Because I'm worried it isn't working and her fur is so thick (being a rex) that flea combing her has pretty much been a massive disaster so far because I can't get the combs through her fur well enough to get any actual fleas.

Thanks! :)

Nikki

Hi, just made myself an account to ask this haha. But I have a rex and applied this stuff to her earlier on today (probably about 5 hours ago or so) she's a house bun and rarely goes outside so I spent the best part of 3 hours spraying everything/washing all my clothes e.t.c so i know everything is decontaminated, I even steamed all her toys, however I just went in to check on her and it doesn't look like there's any dead fleas... in fact I saw about 5 living ones scurry back into her fur.

My question was going to be, how long did it take for the topical ivermectin to kill the fleas on your rabbit? Because I'm worried it isn't working and her fur is so thick (being a rex) that flea combing her has pretty much been a massive disaster so far because I can't get the combs through her fur well enough to get any actual fleas.

Thanks! :)

Nikki

Hi

I understand what a nightmare fleas are Ive never had to treat before for fleas...till now.

I would def phone up an exotics vet before using advantage - thats if you changed it over as you have already treated her...so I def would not use both products but the info is here if you want it.

I just copied another reply I just answered for someone else.

But the Indorex might help you.

Im treating my rabbits right now and the house too. I have an exotics vet and have gone by their advice.

I bought a spray called Indorex. You take the pets out the way (including any fish etc) Vacuum first then spray -leave for as long as possible - at least 2.5 hours longer ifpossible and then once the spray has dried you can go back in. Close windows whilst spraying and when they spray has settled then you can start airing the room. Apparently it has something in it that adheres to surfaces and sticks there. Its fine for toddlers etc.

Now my vet said to do the above but before placing rabbits back in to hose down the hutches or wipe down any surfaces the rabbit might com into contact with...so a quick mop if the floor with plain water.

Ive treated my hutches and also my dining room. But was concerned that if I wiped everything down(which I did do) it would wipe away the Indorex too. So I have called the manufacturer and spoke to a vet technician who said no trials have been done on rabbits but as far as she was aware it did not need wiping down but she was going to look into it and possibly even contact my vet to enquire.

That was yesterday so Im waiting for her to email me - if Ive not heard by tomorrow i will ring them back .
I need to treat my lounge still etc. so need to hear about what they say.

Tesco: £13.46
http://www.tesco.com/direct/indorex-...y/669-9498.prd

UKvet: 500ml bottle £8.71 (inclu vat)
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products...00ml-can-p-677

To treat your rabbit you go by weight. Below is the link for what you need to treat it if it is under 4 kg. in size. If your bunny i larger you need to get the one for over 4 kg.

You use 1 pipette right behind their neck as they cant get to that area themselves...just drop it between their fur onto the skin. It lasts 1 week for a rabbit so they need to be treated for 3 weeks in a row. The box comes with 4 pipettes. So enough for 3 weeks.

I paid £9.22 per box of Advantage spot on up to 4kg rabbits which has 4 pipettes in each box.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-fle...ipettes-p-1173

Vacuuming helps alot - dont forget if you can spray the Indorex into the vacuum cleaner so anything sucked up dies!
This spray ensures the eggs laid by the fleas do not mature into larvae or adults. It will kill any actual fleas it comes into contact with itself.

The spot on will work on the buns - the fleas will start dying and falling off...so vacuum alot and empty the vacuum cleaner too - dont leave inside sitting there if full up.

Its not a quick fix - you have to keep at it...I think it is working as since I have used it all here I have found 2 fleas.

Tip - 1 large pressurized can should do a 3 bedroom house...well i used one can on:
Dining room & two 6X6X2 hutches and then ran out. So depending on your home size I would buy a few cans and just keep them if required....I had to order more...which was annoying half way through.

Good luck!

Back