• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex hocks - options for flooring??

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys, I'm getting a Rex in a few weeks. The last Rex I had was really unwell and I only had her for 6 weeks or so before losing her, so didn't get round to doing much other than putting more hay on floor for her etc to make sure her Hocks didn't get bad.

Currently I have a 10x8 shed with lino flooring. Am wondering if just covering with hay would be ok, or would vet bed be better to cover the entire floor? If so, would it be ok on it's own, or should I then cover that with hay?

Any suggestions welcome & thanks :D

I have just got a mini rex and he's on carpet atm while being bonded but Jane has made a good point of rubber stable matting, brilliant idea! :wave:

brill - thanks. any idea of how much I should be paying roughly? Is ebay the best place to get it? Do they not chew it? (sorry for all the Qn's!) :oops:

This looks like interesting stuff, Peanut has had sore hocks before and she's fluffy. They're alright now on the carpet tiles she has but this looks a bit more forgiving and it's easily cleaned. She does like eating rubber though so not sure if it's nibble proof? Think I might do some investigating.

This looks like interesting stuff, Peanut has had sore hocks before and she's fluffy. They're alright now on the carpet tiles she has but this looks a bit more forgiving and it's easily cleaned. She does like eating rubber though so not sure if it's nibble proof? Think I might do some investigating.

well if you find a good price in the next week or so, let me know coz i don't know which is the best stuff and at what price i'm being ripped off! :lol:

No prob, I think someone on here has some as I'm sure I've seen similar, so hopefully they'll see this and might be able to tell you how good they are. I couldn't find the ones I bought but they were very similar only boring grey. I'm tempted to get some funky coloured ones now. :lol:

what I couldnt' work out was...

They are 2ft x 2ft so 4ft squared. The tiles are £1.99 each, so to cover an area of 16sq ft would be 4 x £1.99 = £8.00 (ish)

However, on another of the shop's listing there's a sale of 4 tiles to cover 16sq ft, but it's about £11.95...!! Are my calculations missing something or are thye overcharging for that listing? :?

what size is your space?

Your calculations look right to me. I'm thinking they are overcharging on the assumption people are stupid and can't work out how many tiles they need themselves.

I've got a 10x8ft shed, but it's got a wooden strip down the middle, therefore splitting it into 2 5x8ft spaces. This beading hold down 2 separate bits of lino.
I wouldn't be too bothered about the matting going right to the edges, and there are litter trays in 2 of the corners. The matting would mainly be for the bulk of the middle area if you see what I mean?

As for buns chewing it - it's a concern of mine too, but I have to try something and hopefully it will work out!

Maybe you could put those foamy tile things as a base.
And then a layer of lino ontop.
So when your rex walks it feels soft and squishy :D
This way the foamy tile things wont get chewed.

I use these in buns kennel from when Oscar bun was on the onset of sore hocks, I'd highly recommend them. :D
I bought mine from BnQ they're £12.95 for a pack of 4...they do them in grey and also the multi coloured ones.
They're very easy to slice with a stanley knife to get a plush edge finish, they're easy to clean and wipe over and dry fairly quickly, I have them now in the whole entire kennel, even the 'levels' they have, my buns never chew them. :D

Back