• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay wastage

clarebear

Mama Doe
Do you find that you waste much hay? I seem to be forever throwing it away, as it gets damp and Bramble doesn't seem to eat it then.

Yes, I seem to go through a cycle of what they don't eat I put in their bed, and what ends up wet in their bed is put in the compost bin or take it to the yard and put it on the muck heap.

Don't think there is much else you can do with it after that really.

Seems such a waste! I hadn't thought of putting it in his bed or litter tray even I guess. Think I will have to get a compost bin.

He has timothy hay, but I was thinking of getting some meadow hay and mixing the two together, at least it wouldn't be as expensive then. He has enjoyed his meadow hay cookies recently.

There is quite a lot of wastage with mine. It's because it falls/gets dragged out of the hay rack and in to the litter tray, then it gets peed on.

I don't think there's a way to get round it while still giving them enough hay which is a bit of a bummer.

I'm glad it's not just me! Bramble likes his hay on the floor of his run. If I put it in a hay rack, he pulls the hay rack off! :roll:

its difficult isn't it because you're supposed to leave unlimited hay out but then once it's been out for a few hours they don't want to finish whats in the dish :roll: I think after a while though you can work out more or less how much they're going to get through in a sitting so now i put less out - 1 bowl instead of 2 - and i've never yet got home/got up to find the dish empty and there's much less waste (I mix whats left in with the new hay that goes in and they don't seem to notice) - so that was a waffly way of saying don't put as much out :oops::lol:

I'm glad it's not just me! Bramble likes his hay on the floor of his run. If I put it in a hay rack, he pulls the hay rack off! :roll:

our last hay rack had about 6 screws holding it in place because they kept working out how to pull it off the wall :lol:

Nope, Charlie has a box full and then a bit in his litter tray. At the end of the day when his tray is cleaned, the leftovers out his box go into the tray and the box gets fresh stuff in

I throw away huge amounts of hay. I have to put lots in their litter tray to get them eating it and that has to be thrown away every day.

i waste quite a lot.

i put his hay in his big hay box
at the end of the day i stick what's left in the litter tray and put fresh in the box

what's left in the litter tray just goes in the bin

i find i waste more coz my son thinks its funny to throw it around - it isn't funny! it's messy! Lol

The biggest waste comes from the three in the shed as there is FAR too much for the pair and the single to eat before cleaning day.

Other wise we have hardly any wastage from the other six :love:

:wave: Depends really how you define 'waste' I throw a lot away yes, I use hay on the floor in the aviary run and if that gets wet or every couple of days I change it, but, I don't really see it as wasted because it cushions my little rexes hocks - same with the shed which is really one big hutch, I do litter trays daily again and the living area hay gets refreshed daily and the older stuff used in the litter trays with fresh to eat so I am constantly recycling it around so that they always have fresh to eat, when i do a proper cleanout of the shed once every couple of weeks I have about 3 black bags of hay and it looks quite fresh on the top as they are very good and only toilet in their trays but, it's dusty and dirty underneath - it seems wasteful but, they are getting full use of it - they aren't cheap pets if they are looked after properly though I must admit.:wave:

Well I suppose so but I also not cos it goes on the compost and gets reused. :oops:

I do the boxes every 2-3 days because if I do it every day then I do waste a LOT of hay.

I throw away huge amounts of hay. I have to put lots in their litter tray to get them eating it and that has to be thrown away every day.

Same here: I clean out their litter trays every morning and refill with fresh hay. Then, throughout the day, I get paranoid that they haven't got enough so keep topping it up 'just in case', and again before I go to bed. I always feel it's better to err on the side of too much rather than not enough. (Always have a fridge and cupboard full of 'just in case' food, too - stupid) :oops:

I can't put my boys hay anywhere else but there litter tray, I have tried bowls and things but he just tips it over.

So I top it up several times a day, most of it gets wasted though as it ends up mixed in with the poops.

Getting a bigger try on Friday though and something to seperate the hay from the megazorb..or am I just wishful thinking here? xx

I seemed to waste loads.

But now I just put hay in the hay racks and bowls during the day, and I only top it up a handful at a time so I know they'll eat it all. Then the next morning I put whatever's left in the litter trays and start all over again etc...

Bramble gets a fresh hay top up every morning. Then when I clean him out in the evenings I now (as of yesterday!) put the old hay into his litter tray and he gets new stuff in his run. At least this way I feel I am getting full use from the hay now.

Back