• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amourous neutered male

They wont care two hoots that they cant make babies !!

How long ago was Gerald's neuter ? Bucks can remain hormonal for several weeks post castration.

Castrated Bucks and spayed Does sometimes still display 'Spring Fever' every year for their entire lives.

As long as your Doe does not become stressed or aggressive towards your Buck because of his amorous behaviour then they will sort things out between themselves. It is very,very rare that a neutered bonded pair have to be separated as a result of an over amorous Buck.

Hello

I have the same problem with one of our bunnies for adoption. He is 3 yrs plus and was neutered last September when he came in for rehoming. I have tried to bond him up with 3 ladies so far to go to a new home but he will not stop mounting, to the point where the females end up on the verge of being distressed. I have had to stop the bond and try another male for the new owners.

I do wonder if some buns just don't calm down, and with this boy, it's almost certainly because he had his snip later in life and has some ingrained behaviour (the previous owners report him playing football - he is actually just mounting it!).

Agree with Jane about spring fever - most of our rabbits get this and also bonding this time of year for the rescue buns proves quite challenging.

Blackberry used to hump Buttercup whenever he was over excited - it wasn't frequent, but we used to joke that his plums had grown back :lol:

Agree with Jane about spring fever - most of our rabbits get this and also bonding this time of year for the rescue buns proves quite challenging.

I've two boys who I've just bonded and agree the added element of spring fever has made it much more challenging than bonds I've done at other times of the year.

All my bunnies are crazy with it at the moment, even the long term pairs.

Back