• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Something weird just happened to one of the buns, ill??

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I was just feeding a few extra pellets to my indoor buns, then went over to the feed the mice when I heard a loud quack-like noise. I went back over to the buns and Gadget made another weird quack sound. I picked him up and he sounded gurgly in his nose/throat area. I called my mum to come and have a look then he sneezed and loads of snot came out of his nose :? He sneezed a few more times and had bubbly snot coming out of his nose.. The gurgling sound seems to be quieter now but I'm worried :(

He's been fine all day, this came on all of a sudden, but he seemed to be struggling to breathe through his nose for a few minutes.

They'd just had fresh hay, so maybe he snorted a bit of dust/hay.. But He's being quiet now :( He's just laying down, I know he frightened himself but I'm so scared something bad is going to happen.

God after the week I had last week, I could really do without another ill bun :(

Sounds like he got something stuck in his nose. I would take him to the vet to make sure it's cleared :?

That must have been quite a shock! I'm really not sure what it could be but maybe best to get the vet to check. I hope he's ok.

He's up and moving about again now and munching hay.. I'm praying he just snorted something. I'm gonna keep a close eye on him and if anything else happens I'll take him to the vet.

He's up and moving about again now and munching hay.. I'm praying he just snorted something. I'm gonna keep a close eye on him and if anything else happens I'll take him to the vet.

Yeah, I would do this too...... are you going to stay with them tonight? Might be an idea in case he changes or snots again and struggles to breathe (do I worry too much :eek:)

Good luck! Hope hes ok :(

Yeah, I would do this too...... are you going to stay with them tonight? Might be an idea in case he changes or snots again and struggles to breathe (do I worry too much :eek:)

Good luck! Hope hes ok :(

He lives in my room, a few feet from my bed so I can easily watch him :) He *seems* to be ok now, but I'm still gonna keep a very close eye on him.

He lives in my room, a few feet from my bed so I can easily watch him :) He *seems* to be ok now, but I'm still gonna keep a very close eye on him.

Ah thats good then! Hope you have an easy night..... lets hope it was a one off :? Perhaps book him in to see a dr even if hes ok tonight, they might be able to have a wee look up there or something. Snot is never good for a bun :(

Hi Lillian

This has happened to my two a couple of times - it's like they are choking. I think they guzzle their pellets too quickly and they choke. I have had a couple of very frightening incidences of this with Daisy in particular with a mad dash to the vet. Both times it happened with some small apple pellets that were thin and quite long.

Is Gadget back to normal today? My vet told me that the snot etc is their way of trying to expel the blockage.

Hope that helps a little.

Wizbit :wave:

He's completely back to normal, he was quiet for about half an hour then he hopped back up and was munching away again. It's so scary to watch isn't it :shock: I'm hoping it doesn't happened again, I was on the verge of a panic attack!!

Yes, it is very frightening and you feel so helpless. I now make sure that when I give pellets that are long and thin that they are broken into small pieces. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. Glad the little chap is ok again. :D

Back