• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit harnesses?

Rodentranch

Alpha Buck
good idea or bad idea?

I'm hoping OH will build a run for his garden for the summer, but in the meantime (and while it's cold) this might be an idea to get them out in his garden for a bit of a weekend.

ETA: these are house buns

I don't really agree with them personally. If yours are older buns they probably won't take well to being on a harness.

The one time I tried with my first bunny about 15 years ago, he'd wriggled backwards out of it within 10 minutes and headed for freedom!

i think they are great
i have a harness for snowball :)

i use it because he seems to enjoy it - i wouldn't force him.

i tried him in the house a few times before i took him outside to make sure it was safe and he wouldn't escape before i took him outside

Definately a bad idea :(

have heard of buns breaking backs trying to bolt when scared, and of buns escaping out of them.

I dont see a problem with it as long as you realise they are not dogs. They wont follow you about and wont respond to you tugging on the lead - they will be walking you really. I would also lengthen the lead with a bit of baling twine/tough string (has to be light-weight but secure and strong) so they can run about as they please.

I would also bunny-proof the garden as some buns have been known to escape harnesses!

Would be a good idea to take a carrier with you, to help them feel secure and as a bolt hole. There is a beach outside my house and I took my bun one day, but he was scared of the new environment, so spent a lot of time in his carrier.

Oh and keep sessions short so you dont stress them out, we only stayed at the beach for 10 mins and he got fed up.

My mum text me while she was on the beach in Andalusia, Spain and on the beach, someone was walking their giant rabbit on the beach on a lead. As you do!

Mine have always wriggled out of them. Plus as Starlight says far too easy for them to bolt without you noticing.

You do get a lot of broken back/broken neck/heart attack stories. :cry: I used them with my boys for several years (just occassionally) but while they liked the freedom of them they did escape once or twice, and sometimes got their little legs caught. I won't ever use one again. It's best to stick with a lovely big secure run. :)

Back