• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you make sure fleece is clean when you hand wash it?

JadeTinaUnox

Young Bun
So i recently moved the buns onto fleece which i prefer ALOT more to hard wood shavings (dust extracted ofc ;)) but then thing is, my parents think the hair will block the washing machine :roll: and there is no way she is letting me use it. This means i can:

A. Switch back to shavings
B. Find a safe way to hand wash it

Any tips on if its hygenic to just hand wash and what i should use or if i should just go back to shavings :( They are litter box trained so they dont pee on it but do have one occasiona 'accident' every now and then.

I wash my bunnies fleeces in the machine but I use a clothes brush on them first so it removes all their fur - would your parents allow this? I never have a problem with it :)

I would try and get as much of the fur off as you can and you could try tying it up in a pillow case and washing it? You may even be able to buy bags especially for this sort of thing?

You need one of these to wash them in http://www.knightsbridgeequestrian.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=283 , I have the medium for my rat hammocks. Fleece isn't truely bacteria and parasite free unless it's washed at 60 degrees :wave:

Yeah i could buy one of those but shes set against it :( humm :? do you think i will have to go back to shavings since i can't use the washing machine? I have a large clean tub thing and i could boil the kettle to make it hot water etc. If that helps? :roll: or again, would it be better to use shavings, I am just thinking of the cost of shavings and weather it is going to effect their respiratory system (hard wood and dust extracted but their is still going to be SOME dust:?) thanks :)

Yeah i could buy one of those but shes set against it :( humm :? do you think i will have to go back to shavings since i can't use the washing machine? I have a large clean tub thing and i could boil the kettle to make it hot water etc. If that helps? :roll: or again, would it be better to use shavings, I am just thinking of the cost of shavings and weather it is going to effect their respiratory system (hard wood and dust extracted but their is still going to be SOME dust:?) thanks :)

The bags are really good though, as they catch all the hair/fur. You can also clean washing nachine out if it gets blocked, should only take 10 minutes or so.

I wouldn't touch shavings with a barge pole. I don't think they are very good for rabbits as they are dusty and release harmful phenols. They also have a reputaion for habouring mites and lice. I also hate how messy they are and how they smell when peed on.

The bags are really good though, as they catch all the hair/fur. You can also clean washing nachine out if it gets blocked, should only take 10 minutes or so.

I wouldn't touch shavings with a barge pole. I don't think they are very good for rabbits as they are dusty and release harmful phenols. They also have a reputaion for habouring mites and lice. I also hate how messy they are and how they smell when peed on.

Exactly my thaughts! :D and NOPE they will not let me wash it in the machine at all. I've explaned that the hair will be in a bag, its ot going to break etc. but i get the old 'rabbits are dirty i dont want to wash it in the same place as my clothes!' :shock: grrr :?

I vacuum the blankets before I put them in the wash. I use the hand tool and just vacuum it while its flat on the floor. Works like a charm. :D

I also wash it with vinegar and baking soda so that it takes all of the smell away and is safe for the bunnies. It also cleans the washing machine!

I wouldn't recommend switching back to wood shavings.
If you know theirs a health risk with wood shavings why would you switch back?
I think you should use straw as bedding.

Hay is much better - they can eat it, too. Wood shavings: nooooo

Just incase it was more hygenic than fleece. I wasnt sure which is why i asked all you great bunny owners. Plus its not that huuuge of a health risk, if fleece was going to be worse id rater go back to shavings :) but straw isnt very absorben so i would rather use hay as an alternative, plus its softer :D like the comment before, they can also eat it! ;) so yes, no more wood shaving deff then x

I use carpet or cheap mats from Wilkinson's. They're 75p each. :)
I hoover them and wash them down in the shower. My parents would not let me use anything to wash the rabbits stuff, the washing machine or any of the sinks. They'd probably have a fit if they knew I washed the litter tray in the bath now I live on my own. :lol:

Just incase it was more hygenic than fleece. I wasnt sure which is why i asked all you great bunny owners. Plus its not that huuuge of a health risk, if fleece was going to be worse id rater go back to shavings :) but straw isnt very absorben so i would rather use hay as an alternative, plus its softer :D like the comment before, they can also eat it! ;) so yes, no more wood shaving deff then x

Just a thought, could you not use hay in the winter... and then in spring/summer you wouldn't have to use anything, as your hutches are floored with lino?:)

Mine have huge boxes of hay to sit in and so I don't put anything on the floor:)

ETA: I'm going to Wilkos to get some mats, thanks Jenova:D

Just a thought, could you not use hay in the winter... and then in spring/summer you wouldn't have to use anything, as your hutches are floored with lino?:)

Mine have huge boxes of hay to sit in and so I don't put anything on the floor:)

ETA: I'm going to Wilkos to get some mats, thanks Jenova:D

I'd prefer to use something with the lino in spring and autom just so its more comfortable but in summer i was planning on nothing anyway so the lino could act as a cooling tile. Sounds like a good idea =) i did that with the hay anyway with shavings underneeth in winter (i know, i know baad but it was good quality, no pine, dust etc.) Deff NEVER using shavings now, not risking it.

I do love this fleece though xD which is why i asked if there was a way i could clean it. If not, onto hay xxx (p.s. those mats DO sound a good idea :))

Back