PDA

View Full Version : do squirrels carry any diseases harmful to rabbits?

biscandmatt1
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
there's a squirrel that comes in our garden nearly everyday. it digs the grass and runs around the garden and fence, it's so cute.. :love:

today i saw it on the fence and it seemed agitated and was scratching sooooooo much, at one point looked like it was chewing it's arm off! :shock::(

just wondered if bisc and matt went out could they catch anything? :( they're due their myxi vaccs this week so thought wait until after that to let them start to play out.

:wave:

Bavarian Bunny
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
They have fleas and ticks, which could get to the bunnies. Fleas are said to be quite host specific, but my boyfriend was bitten by a squirrel flea twice. Grey squirrels also carry a virus, but I don't think it is dangerous for bunnies.

Brinsley Bunnies
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Squirrels do carry a lot of fleas so possible vector for myxi. Most poorly squirrels that come into us have been intentionally poisoned with warfarin or have been hit by a car. I rarely see squirrels with diseases. They are such cute animals but can sadly cause a lot of damage to houses as they have very sharp teeth and can chew through wires and wood. Their favourite treat is pecan nuts;)

biscandmatt1
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
matts sat by the door staring outside, making me feel really guilty :roll::(

no point taking any risks i guess before the vaccs. i don't think they need fleas or anything on top of everything else.

i love squirrels, they're so cute. matt doesn't like them though, he thumps at them. :lol:

Bavarian Bunny
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
They are cute, but they also cause a lot of damage in our garden. Doesn't help that we're surrounded by hazel trees. :lol: They also eat baby birds, which is always quite sad, as we have very few small birds, anyway. :(

biscandmatt1
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
They are cute, but they also cause a lot of damage in our garden. Doesn't help that we're surrounded by hazel trees. :lol: They also eat baby birds, which is always quite sad, as we have very few small birds, anyway. :(

this one has been digging up the grass to hide food :roll:... amazing to watch though, they're actually really powerful aren't they when they dig. :shock:

i didn't know they are baby birds :( that's sad.

i've called him mr squirrel anyway! :oops::lol: inventive i know! :lol: