• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do squirrels carry any diseases harmful to rabbits?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
there's a squirrel that comes in our garden nearly everyday. it digs the grass and runs around the garden and fence, it's so cute.. :love:

today i saw it on the fence and it seemed agitated and was scratching sooooooo much, at one point looked like it was chewing it's arm off! :shock::(

just wondered if bisc and matt went out could they catch anything? :( they're due their myxi vaccs this week so thought wait until after that to let them start to play out.

:wave:

They have fleas and ticks, which could get to the bunnies. Fleas are said to be quite host specific, but my boyfriend was bitten by a squirrel flea twice. Grey squirrels also carry a virus, but I don't think it is dangerous for bunnies.

Squirrels do carry a lot of fleas so possible vector for myxi. Most poorly squirrels that come into us have been intentionally poisoned with warfarin or have been hit by a car. I rarely see squirrels with diseases. They are such cute animals but can sadly cause a lot of damage to houses as they have very sharp teeth and can chew through wires and wood. Their favourite treat is pecan nuts;)

matts sat by the door staring outside, making me feel really guilty :roll::(

no point taking any risks i guess before the vaccs. i don't think they need fleas or anything on top of everything else.

i love squirrels, they're so cute. matt doesn't like them though, he thumps at them. :lol:

They are cute, but they also cause a lot of damage in our garden. Doesn't help that we're surrounded by hazel trees. :lol: They also eat baby birds, which is always quite sad, as we have very few small birds, anyway. :(

They are cute, but they also cause a lot of damage in our garden. Doesn't help that we're surrounded by hazel trees. :lol: They also eat baby birds, which is always quite sad, as we have very few small birds, anyway. :(

this one has been digging up the grass to hide food :roll:... amazing to watch though, they're actually really powerful aren't they when they dig. :shock:

i didn't know they are baby birds :( that's sad.

i've called him mr squirrel anyway! :oops::lol: inventive i know! :lol:

Back