• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ben's Thread - 18/3/11 Vibes for nahla please?:(

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Sort of follows on from susie's thread I guess.

The girls are being spayed in easter, that's a definite. Of course I'm worried about them, but they're both under one year old and in top health... They should be fine.

But its benji. His breathing has improved massively and the thought of him still being alone if the girls bond is horrid. I thought I'd be fine with it but I'm not:( he's five, six this year and I've heard of people neutering much older rabbits....but the possible devastating heartache of losing him is too much:( I just feel like I should "Do The Right Thing" by hom and bite the bullet... He's not enjoying being a rabbit most of the time; he's hormonal and aggressive to anyone that isn't me. He sprays everywhere and wrecks his hutch...

Does the huge risk outweight the benefit? I don't know what to do and I'm frightened. :cry:

Last edited:
Have you spoken to a vet about his condition, and if he feels Benji is healthy enough for the operation?

I have had older bunnies neutered quite a few times BUT it is always done after a thorough examination and extensive tests done by my vet, we then discuss and come up with the safest solution

It's hard to know what to do for the best, can you discuss with your vet?

Have you spoken to a vet about his condition, and if he feels Benji is healthy enough for the operation?

Yep, she feels the benefits outweigh the risk. Its hard though cause he's my baby you know? If he died under/after GA I'd never forgive myself.

Yep, she feels the benefits outweigh the risk. Its hard though cause he's my baby you know? If he died under/after GA I'd never forgive myself.

On the other hand, how would you feel if he contracted testicular cancer, and you hadnt had him neutered?

He'll also be able to have friends once neutered, as you say :)

I know its unlikely, but its possible.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, im trying to help be sensible.

I personally would go for it, if the vet says he's fine to have it. Theres always a risk under any GA, but its such a simple op for a buck to have in comparison, its not invasive at all, and most bucks bounce back within 24hrs or so.

I hope that doesn't come across as horrible, i just wanted to help.

sorry I don't know the background to this and I know its not ideal but couldn't he be bonded with the 2 girls once they are spayed. ideally he would have been done aswell but I'm not sure if that would be asking for trouble for both of them.
Actually, that is a silly idea, ignore it, I can see all the problems with what I've just said :oops:

I think I would probably risk it, after having a detailed conversation with the vet.
If you don't try, you are always going to worry about him being miserable and alone.

On the other hand, how would you feel if he contracted testicular cancer, and you hadnt had him neutered?

He'll also be able to have friends once neutered, as you say :)

I know its unlikely, but its possible.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, im trying to help be sensible.

I personally would go for it, if the vet says he's fine to have it. Theres always a risk under any GA, but its such a simple op for a buck to have in comparison, its not invasive at all, and most bucks bounce back within 24hrs or so.

I hope that doesn't come across as horrible, i just wanted to help.

No I totally agree with everything you've said.:) think I'll have to chat to the vet again. Problem is, she's a bit emotionally detached so probably thinks I'm being silly by worrying that he'll die.

If he is unhappy, go for it. At the end of the day, even if the worst does happen, you will know that you were trying to make him happy, and make his life better.

It might help to think what you would do if it was YOU getting the operation. Would you risk it so you could see humans again? Or live your life safe, but alone.

It depends what the risk is too, did she give you an idea of how likely he is to get through it?

Only you can make this decision, but I'm sure whatever you decide you will do what is right for Benji.

If he is unhappy, go for it. At the end of the day, even if the worst does happen, you will know that you were trying to make him happy, and make his life better.

It might help to think what you would do if it was YOU getting the operation. Would you risk it so you could see humans again? Or live your life safe, but alone.

It depends what the risk is too, did she give you an idea of how likely he is to get through it?

Only you can make this decision, but I'm sure whatever you decide you will do what is right for Benji.

Thankyou, that's given me a bit of perspective. All she's told me at the moment is that she thinks he's in good shape, and that less than 1% of buns die under anaesthetic?

You'll know whats the best thing to do, hes your baby bun :D Just know that if you choose to do it and something terrible happens, you tried your best for him and you shouldnt feel although it was your fault for letting him under go it. It has lots of health benifits and i'm sure he will be fine :) xx

I'm spending some quality time with my boy tonight.

If anything's convinced me to get him neutered, it's the way he's acting tonight.:lol:
He can obviously smell Nahla ( I had to bring her in the other night for grooming, she needed a serious hair cut:lol:) And he's running round frantically, thumping, chasing, spraying and everything.

He's my baby, the only one left of my orginal buns. He's so precious to me, I can't bear having to make the decision. But perhaps I'll talk to the vet and book him in for a neuter, at least then I can change my mind if I freak out I don't know.

This :)

we have lost a couple of special needs buns during castration and it is hard because it was us that made that choice for them. But at the same time they were terribly unhappy as single bunnies so we tried our best for them and that is all you can do :)

How will you feel in a few years time if you don't get it done and he lives to old age alone? Will you always regret not trying?

I'm spending some quality time with my boy tonight.

If anything's convinced me to get him neutered, it's the way he's acting tonight.:lol:
He can obviously smell Nahla ( I had to bring her in the other night for grooming, she needed a serious hair cut:lol:) And he's running round frantically, thumping, chasing, spraying and everything.

He's my baby, the only one left of my orginal buns. He's so precious to me, I can't bear having to make the decision. But perhaps I'll talk to the vet and book him in for a neuter, at least then I can change my mind if I freak out I don't know.

Sounds perfect! :)

This :)

we have lost a couple of special needs buns during castration and it is hard because it was us that made that choice for them. But at the same time they were terribly unhappy as single bunnies so we tried our best for them and that is all you can do :)

How will you feel in a few years time if you don't get it done and he lives to old age alone? Will you always regret not trying?

Yes, always.

I just rang my vets and spoke to a vet nurse. At first she was a bit dismissive but then she realised I was fairly knowledgable... and started talking to me properly. She was really lovely:) She said that yeah he's not the youngest bunny, but he's not old and if he's in good health he is more than likely going to be okay.

He's currently giving lots of kisses:love:

I think I'm going to book him in soon.

I'm so scared...

Also, shall I book him in on like a saturday so I have the sunday to care for him...? I'm unsure when to do it as I'm a full time college student. But if I'm going to do it I want to do it asap.

I know he'll go in in the morning...so if all goes well hopefully he'll come round and then they'll be thinking about getting him eating. Do I send him off with a little packed lunch of his favourite foods? And when I go to pick him up/ring to check on him, should I ask that he be given a gut stimulant and/or pain relief? Is there anything else I need to do before/after surgery?

Sorry for all the questions:oops:

My vets don't do routine ops friday or saturday because they are not open sat pm or sunday if there is a problem. But I guess all vets are different :)

Yes send a packed lunch and he should be given a pain killing injection and gut stimulant as a routine part of the service :D

Back