• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ALL RESCUES ... please comment ..

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Just trying to put together a few paragraphs for a magazine (and eventualy our website ) and wanted to find out a bit about how other rescues work ..

no rescue will be named it will be a simplecollection of general info ;)

please spare a few mins to answer questions .. the more that answer the better I can make the article . ;)

Are you based at a centre or at your home ?

Do you get outside funding( eg from local authority ) or are you totaly run on donations/fundraising etc?

Are you are registered charity ..? if not why?

What types of fundraising do you "mostly" use?

Do you have paid staff or volunteers?

Do you have visitors to your rescue?
If yes do you have open door policy or an appointment system?

If you do not have visitors what are your reasons for this and how do you think it impacts on your rescue?

If you run your rescue from home are your neighbours helpful/sympathetic?

On "average" how many rabbits do you rehome in a period of 6 months ?
If you had more funds/space could you rehome more or is this around the average homes available for that period of time?

Thank you :?:wave:

Last edited:
Probably not applicable to me, but I'll answer to bump it up.

Are you based at a centre or home- we are based at our home, although it is becoming like a centre.

Do you get outside funding, or run on donations- run on donations, mostly our own money.

Are you a registered charity- yes.

What type of fundraising do you mostly use- donations, hopefully sponsorship and open days as we get more well known.

Do you have staff/ volunteers- we have 2 volunteers at the moment.

Do you have visitors- not usually. We hope to have regular open days and visits by appointment later in the year, though.

We have so much work to do and because we have livestock and dogs we don't want people wandering around the animals unattended- too risky. I think it probably affects the donations we get though, hopefully once we have our open day people will want to donate/ sponsor an animal.

Are you neighbours helpful/ sympathetic- some of the neighbours are helpful, most approve of what we do, although I wonder what they will feel about open days.

How many rabbits do you rehome- N/A, we are a sanctuary so do not rehome, although we could be over run with rabbits needing homes.

Just trying to put together a few paragraphs for a magazine (and eventualy our website ) and wanted to find out a bit about how other rescues work ..

no rescue will be named it will be a simplecollection of general info ;)

please spare a few mins to answer questions .. the more that answer the better I can make the article . ;)

home - back garden

Do you get outside funding( eg from local authority ) or are you totaly run on donations/fundraising etc?

no - donations alone

haven't got time to do the paperwork at the moment

I don't - I rely on my own income and the generosity of our supporters who use our bunny boarding (all proceeds go to the rescue), unsolicited donations or from those who adopt and donate when they take their bunnies home.

no

Yes

use to make myself available all the time but can't do this anymore as we get too many enquiries and some turn out to be timewasters - I am no longer able to dedicate time to people who just want to 'have an afternoon out stroking rabbits'. Now have to have all visitors by appointment

If you do not have visitors what are your reasons for this and how do you think it impacts on your rescue?

By not having an open door policy I can't educate as many people by allowing them to see how we care for our own rabbits - negative side of having limited vieiwings.

They appear to be - they have their own rabbits

If you had more funds/space could you rehome more or is this around the average homes available for that period of time?

10-15. I cannot rehome more due to my inability to personally care (cleanout and spend time with) for larger numbers and could not house or fund any more. I will only rehome when I can ensure every home is to the same high standard and is personally homechecked. I bond all of the rabbits myself; with only being able to do one bond a week at best, there is no point in increasing 'turnover'. Quality not quantity.

Thank you :?:wave:

Helen

Home run rescue at 2 locations

Rely on donation and fundraising only.

Not registered. Emma wants to make all decisions and not a board of people doing it for her.

Donations.

No paid staff.

Yes by appointment as its home run.

N/A.

Nope!

Really depends on the time of year and the type/colour/temprament/bonding status (pairs stick around for longer) of rabbit. Some rabbits are in for a few days, others are here for months.

Whilst more funds and space would be nice, there is only one of me to care for the rabbits so I could not take on more. I'd rather the rabbit was with me for 6 months and went to a perfect home, than to just anyone. We are very strict with where our animals go.

Back