• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Pen Advise Please!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
On Monday Im going to begin trying to bond Max with Timmy and Mimi (again :roll:) I have next week off and we're moving into our new place (ie neutral territory!) this weekend.
Oh is making a pen for the purpise and I have a few questions!
Im thinking of it being a 3ft by 3ft square si that there is no 'ends' to it that anyone can claim. Does this sound like a good size or too big/small?
Do you think I should have solid wood around the sides as the pen will be in a large room? Or mesh?
This is going to be a tough bond so everything has to be perfect. I have a brand new litter tray for when theyre ready for it. Any other advise?

maybe make it a bit smaller for the first few hours :wave:

2ft by 2ft? Or is that too small? Im abit worried about the consequences if they start fighting in a really small space :oops:
Thats a good point actually, I need to make the pen quite large but with some kind of partition that can be moved when its time to slowly increase space.
Thanks for the poke in the right direction Nicola :wave:

I'm sorry, not done bonding myself, but didn't want to see and read the thread without wishing you lots of luck and vibes. :)

id say 3x3 is perhaps a little square, perhaps 4x2 would be better, if possible. I know that gives the same square footage, but not so wide, keeps them more together.

Is that possible?

Good Luck Gemma, hope it goes better this time :D

2ft by 2ft? Or is that too small? Im abit worried about the consequences if they start fighting in a really small space :oops:
Thats a good point actually, I need to make the pen quite large but with some kind of partition that can be moved when its time to slowly increase space.
Thanks for the poke in the right direction Nicola :wave:

The smaller the better for the first few hours. I had my five in a 3ft x 1ft space for the first little while, with no roof so I could get in to separate any fights. Have some gardening gloves and a broom handle on standby just in case :) and you could even hold them nose to nose first. Double check that with an expert though as I've been told recently my bonding advice isn't up to much :)

Mine are in a small metal rabbit pen, with a cover over the stop as Belle was jumping out. Can't help much but didn't want to read and run :wave:

i made mine as small as i could and just threw in a bunch of hay. However ted and theo had seen each other through the wire a couple of weeks before hand, so they'd gotten used to each other before i put them together. different things work for different people and buns, so just do what you feel comfortable with. i hope it all goes well for you.

id say 3x3 is perhaps a little square, perhaps 4x2 would be better, if possible. I know that gives the same square footage, but not so wide, keeps them more together.

Is that possible?

Good Luck Gemma, hope it goes better this time :D

Didnt think of it that way, thanks Gray. Just dont want Timmy and Mimi occupying one side and Max the other if you see what I mean :?
Nicola you bonded a trio didnt you?

Didnt think of it that way, thanks Gray. Just dont want Timmy and Mimi occupying one side and Max the other if you see what I mean :?
Nicola you bonded a trio didnt you?

Yes :wave: I bonded a trio then I bonded them into a five a few months later and I've bondeed a quad.

Try a triangular run at first :wave: they'll all stay in the widest point

Yes :wave: I bonded a trio then I bonded them into a five a few months later and I've bondeed a quad.

Try a triangular run at first :wave: they'll all stay in the widest point

Will they not each occupy and defend a corner? Or is that a good thing, kinda having them nose to nose?

No idea about bonding I'm afraid (she says while currently trying to bond 2 buns for the first time! :roll: )
But hope everything goes well with the bonding :wave:

Im thinking of it being a 3ft by 3ft square si that there is no 'ends' to it that anyone can claim. Does this sound like a good size or too big/small? 9 square feet sounds fine. I usually have an 8 square foot pen, 1 extra will be fine.

Do you think I should have solid wood around the sides as the pen will be in a large room? Or mesh? What ever is easiest to make will do

This is going to be a tough bond so everything has to be perfect. I have a brand new litter tray for when theyre ready for it. Any other advise? Put their food for the day on one side and feed it little and often as a distraction, have some nice hay also, perhaps dried flowers and leaves and maybe some fresh herbs and do the same with this.

Ensure you have a broom ready just in case. Go slowly with moving them and expanding their space at a later date.

Good luck

Im thinking of it being a 3ft by 3ft square si that there is no 'ends' to it that anyone can claim. Does this sound like a good size or too big/small? 9 square feet sounds fine. I usually have an 8 square foot pen, 1 extra will be fine.

Do you think I should have solid wood around the sides as the pen will be in a large room? Or mesh? What ever is easiest to make will do

This is going to be a tough bond so everything has to be perfect. I have a brand new litter tray for when theyre ready for it. Any other advise? Put their food for the day on one side and feed it little and often as a distraction, have some nice hay also, perhaps dried flowers and leaves and maybe some fresh herbs and do the same with this.

Ensure you have a broom ready just in case. Go slowly with moving them and expanding their space at a later date.

Good luck

Thanks Janice, I was hoping you'd see this :wave:
Do you find a broom works well for seperating fights, even serious ones?
Last time I used gardening gloves which protected me well but I thibk they got defensive of them and angry with them :?

Thanks Justine, thats similar to what I have in mnd. Is that a puppy pen? Did you find it abit flimsy? Im abit worried that if I had to break up a scuffle and leant on it the whole thing would collapse :shock:

Not flimsy at all. I find it really strong for the price I paid for it. Bobby is a New Zealand White so he has a lot of strength and it's never fallen or anything.

Back