• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hi All :wave:

I took Daisy to see the vet last night as I was worried about her feet. The vet said that although I have caught it very early she does have sore hocks and that I should put some sort of barrier cream onto them. She said that luckily they aren't ulcerated or anything. I just wondered what everyone uses - my vet said that E45 or Sudocream would be ok? I want to make sure that it heals it for her. I had some E45 at home which I put some of last night as an emergency measure and her feet are obviously sore as she flinched. Bless her, I feel awful. Advice please. :(

Is she a Rex? If so, you need soft bedding for her, carpet etc i believe irritates Rexy hocks.

We used Sudocrem for Gingers sore hock, and within 5 days it was nicely pink again, not red and sore and she didnt flinch after the 3rd day so it must of helped.

This was all under the advice of her vet btw :wave:

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply. No, she's not a rex she's a dwarf lop and she's not over weight. I suspect it's my fault because last time I replaced the carpet in their room I bought one that doesn't have a pile if you know what I mean? I have got some different carpet at home and hubby and I will change this tonight for her. Thanks for the advice about the Sudocrem, I have just been and bought some so will start using that for her.

Honestly, there is always something to worry about with buns isn't there!! :roll:

Thanks again for your reply.

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply. No, she's not a rex she's a dwarf lop and she's not over weight. I suspect it's my fault because last time I replaced the carpet in their room I bought one that doesn't have a pile if you know what I mean? I have got some different carpet at home and hubby and I will change this tonight for her. Thanks for the advice about the Sudocrem, I have just been and bought some so will start using that for her.

Honestly, there is always something to worry about with buns isn't there!! :roll:

Thanks again for your reply.

Its not necessarily your fault. My dwarf lop Pickle also suffers with this and I now know its due to the way he sits; when sitting he brings his back legs a bit too far forward so he doesn't distribute his weight evenly, his heels take the weight. His run had always been on concrete, which had aggravated the condition, but even though we have now moved it onto grass, he will always be prone to sore hocks so I have to be careful.

Another thing you could do is layer his living area with fleeces, as they are non-abrasive and give a cushioning effect, allowing his feet to rest properly.

I found certain carpet wore my buns hocks. The only one it didn't affect was Smudge can he has a LOT of fur. Duvets worked well for us. They are spongy and soft but not abrasive. Only thing is with some bunnies they need changing regularly cos they wee on them. My lops did to begin with but now they are used to it (I still have one down for them to sleep on).

Thanks Debster for saying that it's not necessarily my fault - you always feel so guilty don't you?

I have some vet bed but the problem is that Daisy tends to 'dig' and chew it and I don't want her to end up with gut stasis. Thank you for your ideas.

Thanks also Schuette for the duvet idea. I think I might try all of these things and see what seems to suit her.

Another idea that I had was what about natural coir matting? That can be quite deep and would allow their claws to go into it.... what are your thoughts please?

Tracy as you know I had lots of issues with PB and his sore foot, and I know you're probably worrying like mad so if you want to give me a ring you can :wave:

And I will make everything good for Daisy's foot when she is here dont worry :wave:

Hi SJ

I had totally forgotten that! Can I give you a buzz later on to chat?

I know you will take good care of my little girl for me - I just don't want you to have the extra hassle!

Yeh sure, Im going out around 8ish so if I dont answer its because Im in a rush but give me a ring and if im not about I am around all day and evening tomorrow too anyway.
:wave:

Dont worry, anything after Peanut is a walk in the park :lol:

I was advised by my vet to rub vaseline on my buns sore hocks and it worked quite well. Nice to know about the Sudocrem for future use though :wave:

bella had a sore hock and she was prescribed fucidin cream by the vet. cleared it right up and touch wood she has never had it since. howz you buns nails?? i always wondered whether i had left bella's nails a bit long and that is what had caused it x

Thank you for all of your replies.

Shell1805 - I wondered about Daisy's claws but the vet said it isn't that as they weren't that long. My vet said that it's usually due to the type of flooring and suggested I put vet bed where Daisy rests, problem is that Daisy doesn't sit on vet bed she just 'digs' at it until it's out of her way!! :roll:

Hopefully the Sudocrem will help, luckily Daisy still has a good amount of fur on her feet so we have managed to get the cream on the sore bit and then put the fur over the top, hopefully that way she won't lick it off.

I did wonder about getting some coir matting - like the stuff doormats are made of. From what I have seen the biggest problem is when their claws can't sink into the floor to allow equal distribution of their weight and I thought that coir stuff would be good for that.... anyone got any thoughts on that please?

Thank you for all of your replies.

Shell1805 - I wondered about Daisy's claws but the vet said it isn't that as they weren't that long. My vet said that it's usually due to the type of flooring and suggested I put vet bed where Daisy rests, problem is that Daisy doesn't sit on vet bed she just 'digs' at it until it's out of her way!! :roll:

Hopefully the Sudocrem will help, luckily Daisy still has a good amount of fur on her feet so we have managed to get the cream on the sore bit and then put the fur over the top, hopefully that way she won't lick it off.

I did wonder about getting some coir matting - like the stuff doormats are made of. From what I have seen the biggest problem is when their claws can't sink into the floor to allow equal distribution of their weight and I thought that coir stuff would be good for that.... anyone got any thoughts on that please?

Vetbed isnt actually as good as what you think it would be, it can be quite abrasive itself and most buns just dig, pee and poop on it :lol: The best thing I found was the rubber floor tiles you have in childrens nurseries or like even gym mat type stuff thats what worked best for us but Peanut wasnt a chewer.

I personally found a thick bedding of hay to be the best thing but when he was indoors it wasnt practical. Am around for a call this evening so just give me a ring:wave:

Been there! Dont put anything on them, the sores need to dry out & heal. Make sure your bun in on soft surfaces, if desparate try putting socks on (serious) :wave:

Back