• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clostridium - update: Aiden lives!

whiskers

Warren Scout
My 10-week old Holland lop has an advanced case of Clostridium. The vet gave us 4 meds and injected some liquid between his shoulder blades so theres a little lump there now (I'm not clear on what this is?)

The doc said it could be contagious to humans and of course my other bun, so he is quarantined in the bedroom with the door closed for the next 2 weeks :( I don't want him to feel alone and bored, I guess all I can do is visit him.

Anyone had this before? I am just looking for what advice or experiences other have had with this...

The doc said to just check his feces tonight and call him in the morning with a status report.

Could he die?? Get sick again more easily after he recovers?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I am understandably pretty freaked out.

Last edited:
I've only ever nursed humans with clostridium difficile. It is highly contagious and is spread in droplets through the air.

I can't comment on the bunny sorry but to protect yourself and other bun you need to wash your hands all the time especially between contact, alcohol hand gel doesn't kill clos diff.

Wishing your bun solid poop vibes and hope he gets well soon!

xxx

I've only ever nursed humans with clostridium difficile. It is highly contagious and is spread in droplets through the air.

I can't comment on the bunny sorry but to protect yourself and other bun you need to wash your hands all the time especially between contact, alcohol hand gel doesn't kill clos diff.

Wishing your bun solid poop vibes and hope he gets well soon!

xxx

Me to, I didn't know bunnies could get it. Its a nasty thing to get as a human though :(

I'm from the U.S. so maybe this is more common here? We got this sick rabbit Aiden from the county fair and he was in a wire cage with no covering on the bottom.
The wire caging really hurt his feet I think that's why he was walking so gingerly the first time we put him on solid flooring. He now has a cardboard bottom in his wire cage.
Anyway the vet said clostridium occurs in rabbits usually due to stress and overcrowding. He certainly had that as he was constantly being grabbed/touched/lifted by many people at the fair including children. He looked scared but nevertheless he was licking his brothers and sisters and was very sweet so we got him. I think we may have saved this rabbits life!

The vet gave him Metronizadole 50 mg 2x daily, an antibiotic, and Metoclopramide 5 mg 2x daily.

The vet injected him with a liquid solution to help hydrate and we have a critical care "force-feeding" formula.

Last night he ate some hay after the injection the vet gave him and he ate up the critical care formula the vet gave us, we fed it to him with a syringe (no needle, its the kind you pump into his mouth).

Today he is not eating anything and the formula just dribbles out of his mouth when we try to give it to him.

He has a lot of feces stuck in him but fortunately he is pooping a lot now. The droppings are beginning to look healthier.

Maybe he doesn't want to eat until his painful stomach bloating goes away?

At this point I am trying to analyse his chances for survival :(

So Aiden is still barely eating...I am very worried now...I have a vet appointment tomorrow. He will need pain reliever and more meds. :cry:

Im pretty strapped for cash but I got a credit card for pets and I'll do whatever it takes to give this little guy all the care he needs.

He has torn up his chew toys and overnight he ate half of his mineral salt. He still has diarrhea but at least he's getting all the poop out.
Man this has been an ordeal...

Can you get him to a Vet tonight ? If he is still passing diarrhoea then he is probably badly dehydrated now and will need fluid therapy. I really dont think he can wait til tomorrow :cry:

Can you get him to a Vet tonight ? If he is still passing diarrhoea then he is probably badly dehydrated now and will need fluid therapy. I really dont think he can wait til tomorrow :cry:

just thought id bump this post just incase you didnt see it whiskers, if he is dehydrated it is important he probablly sees a vet tonight to get him hydrated quickly

grr I have to wait til tomorrow...i gave him a water bowl he seems to drink out of that a bit, doesn't drink from his bottle.
Perhaps I will put water in his syringe and "feed" it to him?

He most likely needs IV fluids.
He really does sound to be gravely ill and IMO he requires hospitalisation for intensive care :cry:

:( how is he this morning?.. i really think you should get to the vets as soon as they open, he really needs vet care :(

Im just about to head to the vet...this was really the soonest he could see Aiden. I will tell the vet he may need hospitalization.

He seems like he shrunk overnight he poo'ed so much, he seems very tired but still acts curious

ill post after the vet visit

Im just about to head to the vet...this was really the soonest he could see Aiden. I will tell the vet he may need hospitalization.

He seems like he shrunk overnight he poo'ed so much, he seems very tired but still acts curious

ill post after the vet visit

o bless him, i hope all goes well at the vets. giving him lots of vibes and hope he hydrates lots xxx

Back