• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girls vs Boys vs Girls and Boys

Reward

New Kit
Hi,

i have a question, we are in the process of getting 2 baby bunnies, they are about 3 weeks at the min, so not getting them just yet.

we are a bit undecided when it comes to which sex to get, i had said 2 girls as i had 2 girls growing up and they were always happy enough.

The breeder suggested a boy and a girl as girls can be too hormonal together and boys too aggressive.

I dont mind this in theory, i am quite nervous about catching the boy in time to be neutered. Last thing we want is babies really.

do you have any thoughts? are brother and sister better or 2 different litters?

any advice would be appreciated, currently we have a boy and girl reserved but i would need to get in touch shortly if this was to change.

thanks
rachel

Hiya!!!!
I have a bro and sis pair and they are the most loved up bond I have ever seen!!! They were separated when he was 9 weeks old untill they were a year old.
I also have a girl and boy together (unrelated) and they are just in love too!!
I understand that 2 males are hard to do,and that 2 females are ok.
Pics of these babes as soon as you can!!!:wave::wave:

Hiya, welcome to RU! :D

It's commonly considered that the most sucessful bonds are male/female. Many rabbits are just as happy in a same sex bond, but really it's down to individual personalities. If you get a boy and a girl (they need to be at leats 8 weeks before leaving mum) then you'll need to seperate them by 10 weeks at the latest to avoid any inbred furry bundles. This means 2 hutch/run combos (or 2 messy rooms if they're housebuns). They'll then need to be neutered (around 4 months for the buck, 6 months for the doe) and be kept seperate a further 6 weeks to allow their hormones to die down. If you choose to get 2 of the same sex you won't need to seperate them at all unless there's any aggression/excessive mounting going on, although obviously they'll still need to be neutered as soon as.

Personally I had 2 boys - littermates. Ginger and Pickles had the closest bond you could ever imagine, without a hiccup for 7 years. I think as long as you keep a sharp eye on them while they're in the hormonal stage, they should be fine in a neutered bond either way.

Last edited:
Hiya, welcome to RU! :D

The most sucessful bonds are usually male/female. Many rabbits are just as happy in a same sex bond, but really it's down to individual personalities. If you get a boy and a girl (they need to be at leats 8 weeks before leaving mum) then you'll need to seperate them by 10 weeks at the latest to avoid any inbred furry bundles. This means 2 hutch/run combos (or 2 messy rooms if they're housebuns). They'll then need to be neutered (around 4 months for the buck, 6 months for the doe) and be kept seperate a further 6 weeks to allow their hormones to die down. If you choose to get 2 of the same sex you won't need to seperate them at all unless there's any aggression/excessive mounting going on, although obviously they'll still need to be neutered as soon as.

thanks all

so if i get a boy and a girl they can only be together for 2 weeks before they are separated for several months?

would they go happily back in together?

i cant help but think 2 girls would be a better option no worries about babies or inbreeding or being separated for a long time, i never had a problem with my 2 girls last time. im confused

thanks all

so if i get a boy and a girl they can only be together for 2 weeks before they are separated for several months?

would they go happily back in together?

i cant help but think 2 girls would be a better option no worries about babies or inbreeding or being separated for a long time, i never had a problem with my 2 girls last time. im confused

I'm afraid so, buns start young! :lol: They should re-bond just fine so long as they're neutered (and it's a good 6 weeks post op), and you go about the process carefully. For example, you'll need to reintroduce them on neutral territory where neither have been before to avoid confrontation. Take a look at the 'Bonding' sections for hints and tips.

2 girls could work out just fine, or it could be a disaster with lots of fighting. Really, it's a bit of a game of chance.

Do you have your heart set on those particular baby buns? If not, I can't recommend adopting from a rescue centre highly enough. They'll be neutered, vaccinated and bonded already, which will save a lot of money and stress in the long run. You'll also be able to choose a pair based on personality as well as looks. This is very useful If you'd like bunnies that are happy to be held for ages, for example - unfortunately you just don't know with kits how they'll turn out!

Provided they are neutered as early as possible it shouldn't matter whether they're males, females or male and female.

Hi Reward, welcome to RU.

I've got 3 pairs of each - 2 neutered girls that are sisters, a one of each, and 2 neutered boys. But they were bonded for me by the rescue I got them from so I didnt have to worry about hormones (nor the stress of bonding although I did try with one male and female but it was a failed bond. The girl went on to bond with a different male, and the male bonded with another male). I would be worried about putting any combination together once their hormones kick in, not that I have my own experience to base that on.

Just wondered whether you would consider getting a rescue pair of bunnies at all? Just that you can often find matched up pairs or if you see single rehoming bunnies you like then local rescues can try to bond them together for you - they would also have already been neutered and vaccinated (reducing the stress for you) and the rescue would have a better idea of personalities.

Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide. :)

thanks for the advice, we do kinda have our hearts set on the ones we have picked, we are getting them at 8 weeks.

Is that easier for girls to bond then? i had a dream last night about the bunnies not getting on, having loads of babies lol and now i think we should go for 2 girls to save being separated

or do we just get one? :roll::roll:

Definatly get 2 , buns are much happier in pairs :wave:
Either combination should be ok as long as theyre neutered. Havjng said that there are some bunnies that just dont get on, but Im thinking that as theyre litter mates it wont be a problem.
If you get a male and female they will need to be seperated for a while, neutered and recovered before re bonding. Bonding may be hard or easy, its impossible to know.
If you get 2 girls and get them spayed ASAP they will beable to stay together for the duration, providing theres no aggression shown. Theres always a risk 2 does might fight but again as they would be sisters I would think thats highly unlikely :wave:

Oh, just to add, whichever combination you choose it's important to get them re-sexed by a vet. It does sound like the breeder knows his stuff but you can never be too careful. Just ask your vet to take a look while they're having their first vaccination (it's a good idea to discuss neutering/rearguard/wormer/claw clipping while you're there too). Also, don't worry to much if you think they're both girls, but they're mounting each other. It's completely normal, a way of establishing dominance in a pair or group. :)

Hi Welcome:wave: I was told like you to get a boy and girl. Which is what i did. I had to get Jacob first, got him done at 5 months old, waited 6 weeks, then got Bella. But I'm sure it doesn't have to be as complicated as that. You have been given some great advice by the guy's and I wish I had joined RU before I got my two. NOT that I would give them up for anything they are my babys and I love them very much:love: And they love each other very much:love::love:

Back