• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help to make my bunnies' lives better

LaraFarah

Alpha Buck
Hello,

I have got six bunnies, one is a giant so she is living on her own for the time being (I will be getting her a friend and a bigger run) and then five cute girls who are living together in this; (you can see Pip, the giant rabbit in her set-up, we only had her for a short while and will be building her a new run)

101_0685.jpg

How can I improve it? I want to get tunnels etc but they are so expensive so cheap ideas would be great! Maybe a one man tent?

101_0635.jpg

This is where they sleep at night - I know it is not ideal but I will be building them a bigger shed to spend the nights.

With thanks in advance.

Oh and how can I pass up the opportunity to show off my buns? Here they are :)

101_0579.jpg

Martha

101_0657.jpg

Meg

101_0655.jpg

Amy

101_0589.jpg

Josephine

101_0648.jpg

Meg saying hello to Pip

101_0604-2.jpg

Beth (not the best picture, I need to take more photos of the shy little thing!)

Hi there :wave:

Lovely buns :love:

Do you leave your buns free ranging in the garden when you're out?

Your lovely giant will certainly appreciate some additional space & a friend, well done for planning for this :)

The covered area you have looks great for buns. Are they shut inside the hutch on the floor or is there a door out of shot that we can't see?

Could your giant be introduced to the other 5?

Kiddies play tunnels can often be picked up at car boot sales for a couple of pounds. Also plastic toddler seats, foot stools, boxes etc to jump on and hide under are always good (basically anything that is water and rust proof) - just be wary of the buns using them as a lever to get over the fence :D

:wave:

Last edited:
Hi Lovely bunnies.
I don't want to be a kill joy BUT..
Your fence!!!!
They don't even need to try to escape.
:shock:

Do you leave your buns free ranging in the garden when you're out?
I am never out :) I work from home and if I am out, somebody will be at home. It is very rare that nobody is home and if/when that happens, they will be shut away.

Your lovely giant will certainly appreciate some additional space & a friend, well done for planning for this :)
She was an unexpected surprise, somebody dumped her on us so we are really just making it up as we go along.

The covered area you have looks great for buns. Are they shut inside the hutch on the floor or is there a door out of shot that we can't see?
They are sadly shut in the hutch, but only from 7pm to 6am and I am currently building them a shed to go in at nights.

Could your giant be introduced to the other 5?
I don't know - this is something I will think about. I am just worried about the size difference as the sisters are quite small compared to Pip.

Kiddies play tunnels can often be picked up at car boot sales for a couple of pounds. Also plastic toddler seat, foot stools etc to jump on and hide under are always good - just be wary of the buns using them as a lever to get over the fence :D :
Sunday Car boot, here I come!

Thank you very much for your response.

Last edited:
Is that fenced area your garden, or does your garden extend beyond the fence we can see? It looks, from the photo, that the bunnies have no protection from predators, be they human or animal, but on the plus side they have a lovely big area dedicated specially to them.

As for the fence, yes they could easily get over that and escape. My french lop used to scramble over her pen area no problem at all - its surprising how high they can scramble!

OK sorry, edited to see you have wire around top - couldn't see it. Just my initial thought was "that looks open" ;)

Is that fenced area your garden, or does your garden extend beyond the fence we can see? It looks, from the photo, that the bunnies have no protection from predators, be they human or animal, but on the plus side they have a lovely big area dedicated specially to them.

As for the fence, yes they could easily get over that and escape. My french lop used to scramble over her pen area no problem at all - its surprising how high they can scramble!

OK sorry, edited to see you have wire around top - couldn't see it. Just my initial thought was "that looks open" ;)

It is no problem at all :) if they do manage to escape that (which they have before) then they are in the chickens area which have fences, 6 feet high and have wire dug into the ground.

Sounds lovely for them :) They're very lucky bunnies. Give them plenty of holes to run through, boxes to hide in, etc. and they'll be happy as Larry :lol:

Mine like rolling in a sandpit! Maybe get something they can dig in - I don't know whether bark chippings would be good in a kids sandpit?

Here is Loxxy enjoying her sandpit!

Last edited:
Those twig tunnels.
They use this to chew on and hide under. :D
A tunnel.
Boxes to hide under, but could get damaged in the rain.

Sounds lovely for them :) They're very lucky bunnies. Give them plenty of holes to run through, boxes to hide in, etc. and they'll be happy as Larry :lol:

Mine like rolling in a sandpit! Maybe get something they can dig in - I don't know whether bark chippings would be good in a kids sandpit?

Here is Loxxy enjoying her sandpit!

Great video! I will certainly be getting that! It is on my wishlist :) I was thinking of just digging deep and filling up with soil but sand might be a better option.

Those twig tunnels.
They use this to chew on and hide under.
A tunnel.
Boxes to hide under, but could get damaged in the rain.

Lots of hideaways it is then! I will start building those when I have finished with the shed :)

Chairs for them to sit under and on top of.

Coffee tables.

A big bale of hay:lol:

Looks a lovely big space but I would be worried about birds of prey:shock:

And there are a few rabbits on here with very different sized bonded partners:love:

Chairs for them to sit under and on top of.

Coffee tables.

A big bale of hay:lol:

Looks a lovely big space but I would be worried about birds of prey:shock:

And there are a few rabbits on here with very different sized bonded partners:love:

I never thought about birds of prey ... I will see what I can do to prevent this, maybe I will make as much hide holes as possible and hang some CDs. Thank you for this advice.

I will be certainly going to a car boot sale to buy the items or maybe I can take my niece's table and chairs that she haven't been using.

Actually, just today they got a bale :D they really enjoyed it and was actually quite upset to be going to bed until I put a block into their hutch!

The twig tunnels are hard to build D:
You can buy them cheap though.
In my area there are no birds of prey just sparrows, robins who go into my garage, seagulls and pigeons rarely.
Rabbits like something they can jump on to stretch their legs and to get a better view of whats under them :D

They do have fresh hay available at all times? I am sure I have just miss read you, I am crazy tired:lol:

Oh and Hazel. You can do weaving with it yourself. Just get some from some woods and then you could weave loads of different obstacles:love:

(Tink I might try this!)

The twig tunnels are hard to build D:
You can buy them cheap though.
In my area there are no birds of prey just sparrows, robins who go into my garage, seagulls and pigeons rarely.
Rabbits like something they can jump on to stretch their legs and to get a better view of whats under them :D

I like a challenge! :) But I will build some to see how it is made.

I have pigeons coming into the garden to steal some of the chickens' corn but they are homing pigeons so they belong to the people at 3 houses up.

I have never seen a bird of prey but I have seen bats - will they be a problem to my buns?

They do have fresh hay available at all times? I am sure I have just miss read you, I am crazy tired
No, you haven't misread me - I didn't say it in the right way, what I meant was today they got a whole bale, rather than section per day as I ran out of room to storage my bales! But from now, I think I will just give them a whole bale.

Yes they do have fresh hay available at all times. She just means that she usually brakes it up for them, today i assume she let them tear it apart. Also there are no birds of prey around here. or that would have been an issue in regards to rehoming.

Its nice that you have managed to extend the run lara, looks so much bigger. Glad the wood finally arrived. Even though it was so huge before! The outbuilding will do for now, as they are in their hutch over night. The run only looks bare because you extended it so much lol. Look at all that yummy untouched grass though! Ours love log hidy things you get in pet shops, you can get them in bright colours too, but ofcourse you may end up with blue bunnys when it rains lol. Salad has a box that we put toilet roll tubes in and he spends the next few hours tipping them all out again. so a possible toy for inside the outbuilding?

Her garden is large and as she has pointed out, if they did manage to escape there is a massive parimitar fence.

I knew you said you had blocked off the holes but i didnt realise to what extent lol!

Be carefull when buiding things for them to jump on as if it topples over you may have an injured bunny. They could easily get on pips house so if they wanted height they could easily have it. Not many of our buns would dare jump up on things. Salad regulary jumps on the sofa and Henry jumps on the bed and even sleeps on it.

Look forward to popping back in on thurs will be nice to see the girls again.

The room where the hutch is kept, (this is just me really thinking out of the box a little so ignore me if you like :lol:) could you make that into a space where they can free range? So, see if you could add a door or something, then create this amazing space inside where they can go and snuggle or watch the world go by. You could put some hay down in there and then make it all lovely :love: (I may be in dream land! :lol:)

With the outdoor situation, I would deffo look into getting some type of wire to go over the top or something, to protect from birds of prey. My best friends little nethie died (and the other injured) from an open run which they were only in for an hour whilst the hutch was being cleaned out :(.

There are lots of different toy ideas that you can do :D I'm sure you will see more on here over time :D
Have you got a p@h/happy shopping there? They are doing a deal on the tunnels - 2 for £10. Oggie loves them :love:

Back