• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting buns used to vacuum cleaners

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Do you go about getting previously outdoor buns used to loud noises like vacuum cleaners? I don't want scare them too much :?

I just put them in a different room...not sure if they're scared of it or not but I am :lol: I distract them with a treat so they don't fret about why they're locked in a bedroom.

We just kept using it near Charlie :oops: He's ok with it now :D
I'd give him food to distract him a bit though

I'm not sure if there is much you can do but I'd start with short periods of hoovering to start off with, I also think it's very important that they have somewhere to hide so that they feel safe. If they've got a cage I would lock them in until you've finished. They should be ok after a bit, give them time to come out and come to you and maybe have a treat and a nice head rub for them. I never had any problem with Peanut and the hoover, I thought this was great and that I was really lucky, until I realised that she was deaf :oops:

snowball isn't bothered. i dangle the hose over, climb into his pen, switch the hoover on through the bars and hoover while he's in there :oops:
he's too busy licking my feet or humping my leg to notice though ;-)

jay on the other hand hates the hoover and will run a mile and go crazy. try not to hoover around jay too much

I start by hoovering the room as far away as possible and slowly come closer to the room they are in. They seem to get used to the noise by the time you get to their room.

I am a bit manky and leave the room for a few days with a new bun, to let him get used to the new surroundings, before I start to get them used to it.

Also keep offering them a treat as you go to check they are not too stressed:)

Jenson hates my dyson. To be fair, I don't like their noise if someone else is doing it too.
My parents got me a handheld vacum for Christmas so I could do his run and round his cage. It's really good.
I show it to him before I use it, let him sniff around it, then move it to the other end of the run and turn it on low. Then part way through I'll give him a pellet or two. Usually he's ok with it. Then I close the door when I use the dyson elsewhere.

Back