• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis on my first, Frankie

Taffeh

New Kit
Hey there,

Frankie is my first Rabbit and pretty much my best mate & little one and I've just come back from the Vets after being told he has a blockage in his gut, all be it a small one. As he is our first, and only 10 months old we have overlooked pet insurance until now so instead of leaving him at the vets due to the increased costs I braught him home (hoping that with me around he'll recover better).

Vet has injected him with :
- Metacam (0.5%) 0.54 ML,
- Zantec (cant find a dose on my invoice),
- Vetergesic M/DOSE BTL 0.57ML (not sure what this is),
- Baytril (2.5%) 1.30ML

and then given me:
- Protexin FibrePlex tube (Know what this is, had it when he got neutered), - Supreme Science Recovery Sachet,
- Vetergesic M/DOSE BTL (1.71 ML),
- Baytril 1.3ml x 2 daily Oral Liquid and
- Zatac Syrup 1.4ml x2 daily

I've been told to get plenty of water down him and monitor him closely to see how he goes. I've just braught him home and he looks EXTREMELY unhappy and now feeling like im the worse parent to him ever as I've seen this decline in his eating behavior for about 4 days now.

Is there anyone who has got their Bunnies through this able to give some kind words or words of wisdom to me?

Its important to keep Frankie warm so a heat pad or something similar would be good. I find gentle tummy rubs helps when Frankie has a bit of gas. Is Frankie eating on his own? If not I would start syringing small amounts regularly and giving cooled boiled water as their guts need to be moving. Getting Frankie to hop around and move about would be helpful also.

Sending vibes for a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately Frankie did not make it. We admitted him to the vets on Wednesday and he was there until Friday. The vets didnt expect us to bring in a live bunny after we nursed him Monday and Tuesday for 48 hours after our initial consoltation with the vet.

On Friday, after being on IV fluids and refusing to eat other than syringe fed the vet did not believe he would make it any further. He was in a lot of pain, grinding his teeth, and not very active.

Has been hard loosing our first, and something that was very dear, almost like our child. An important part of our lives has now gone but we are trying to focus on the happy memories of him with us.

Was very fun to have him around, and its a pity life is so unfair that a creature so innocent was robbed of such a great life.

Oh, that is so hard. You poor thing:cry: I understand when you say that it seems worse because he was your first. We have sadly lost a couple of buns and fosters come and go, but as long as Floppy, our first, is still running to meet me I feel ok.

Lots of hugs xx

Back