• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still not sure about eric - update p.53

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
well, this morning (previous thread updated), he seems really perky and more like himself. he ate little bits off and on and has slept all day - not unusual.

since half 6 (tea time), he's nibbled a couple of bits (about 2 pellets and a tiny bit of cabbage). he's been in his tray and we have a good wee and about 20 poops (tiny bit bigger than yesterday's).

i gave him his metacam earlier (with narna) but haven't given him any zantac yet today as that has to be syringed (he hates it but syringing stresses him).

so, do you think i should leave him for now? does it take a while to build up to eating more?

hmmmmm. not sure what to do about the zantac now:?

Last edited:
I would keep going with the Zantac.

It can take a while for 'normal' eating to resume.

thank you jane:love:

i've hand fed him half a dozen strands of hay (how lazy is that:roll:) and he really enjoyed the 3 dried sloe leaves i gave him this afternoon (won't eat the bramble leaves tho:().

now, how to get the zantac into him without a syringe..........

now, how to get the zantac into him without a syringe..........

I tried a little bit of each medicine just to decide what food to hide it in :shock::oops::oops: Zantac has quite a strong taste but not unpleasant, I couldn't define it but the vet said mint. It therefore needed something with a strong flavour to hide it in. That could be your best bet, if you can think of anything that he's happy to eat with a strong flavour.

Edit to add: Artie seems to quite like me hand feeding him for a few days after a slow down, funny little soul, the food can be under his nose but he leans to me begging so I'll pass it to him :roll::love::love:

I tried a little bit of each medicine just to decide what food to hide it in :shock::oops::oops: Zantac has quite a strong taste but not unpleasant, I couldn't define it but the vet said mint. It therefore needed something with a strong flavour to hide it in. That could be your best bet, if you can think of anything that he's happy to eat with a strong flavour.

Edit to add: Artie seems to quite like me hand feeding him for a few days after a slow down, funny little soul, the food can be under his nose but he leans to me begging so I'll pass it to him :roll::love::love:

:lol: glad its not just me then!

i'd moved eric's tray a bit to select the hay he ate, went to put the kettle on and he was sat under the table (where his tray usually is) doing some poops:love: never been so happy to see poo on the carpet:D

managed the zantac on a crunchie topped with mushed banana. he obviously knew it was there from the way he was eating it but fortunately, the lure of a crunchie AND narna got him to eat it:)

ooohhh, he's eating pellets!!!!!!!!

:lol: glad its not just me then!

i'd moved eric's tray a bit to select the hay he ate, went to put the kettle on and he was sat under the table (where his tray usually is) doing some poops:love: never been so happy to see poo on the carpet:D

managed the zantac on a crunchie topped with mushed banana. he obviously knew it was there from the way he was eating it but fortunately, the lure of a crunchie AND narna got him to eat it:)

ooohhh, he's eating pellets!!!!!!!!

:lol: Nice one!

well, i thought that this morning but he seemed to go a bit off again until just now:D

i hate waiting!!!!

How is he now? :wave:

he's been eager for his pellets today and has (eventually) finished this mornings veg just before tea time. not much hay munched tho:?

still not enough poops but he's having a nap at the mo then hopefully he'll go into his litter tray (everything crossed!!).

apart from the slowness of getting the poops to come through (but they are getting bigger), his demeanor is far more eric-y:)

he's been eager for his pellets today and has (eventually) finished this mornings veg just before tea time. not much hay munched tho:?

still not enough poops but he's having a nap at the mo then hopefully he'll go into his litter tray (everything crossed!!).

apart from the slowness of getting the poops to come through (but they are getting bigger), his demeanor is far more eric-y:)

whooooop whooooop almost there :D

Glad he's improving. Bring on the poo, Eric! :wave:

Spenser sometimes saves his up then offloads quite a pile in one sitting. :shock:

just got back in time for son - every route i tried after dropping bunny off with becky was blocked as the m6 was broken (for a change:evil:).

so, obviously eric's been under the futon all day but there is poo in the tray from this morning.

everything crossed that we don't have a stroppy set back:roll:

I'm glad you got back in time for your son. I really, really hope that Eric doesn't suffer because you were generous with your time today.

well, eric got off to a pretty slow start this evening so i was on red alert in case he'd taken a huge step backwards whilst i was out today but he seems to be rallying round now - eaten his pellets, dried leaves, a few herbs and is now sat in his tray (hopefully leaving me some little presents:D).

Back