• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4ft x 4ft pen ok for a rabbit?

CinnamonBunny

Young Bun
I'm looking into getting a rabbit or a pair, preferably dwarfs or just a very small breed. I don't want to go down the root of buying a cage from a store and I've been looking in to dog pens, I've seen one that is 4ft x 4ft and a reasonable price, plus it will fit in to the space I have. Can anyone give me guidelines on how much space a bunny will need?

I was thinking of converting the pen and adding a second level if possible (pen is 30 inches high)

I probably wont be getting a rabbit for a good while yet, just doing my research first. :)

The RSPCA say that a pair of rabbits need a minimum of 48sqft which is the equivalent of a 6ft x2ft hutch with permanent access to a 6ft x4ft run. There are no guidelines for single rabbits as they say they should be kept in a minimum of a pair. A 4ft dog crate is absolutely fine as a base if the door is left open to a large pen or rabbit proofed room :wave:

hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

you are from my neck of the woods too :)
i live in winsford :)
quite a few of us from cheshire dotted about the forum!

I'm more used to having guinea pigs than rabbits, have 3 gorgeous boars at the moment. If I do get a rabbit or pair I would probably be looking in to getting them from a rescue.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. :)

I'm more used to having guinea pigs than rabbits, have 3 gorgeous boars at the moment. If I do get a rabbit or pair I would probably be looking in to getting them from a rescue.

aw lovely, i love guineapigs, they are adorable :)

getting them from a rescue is a great way to go :)

In which case I owuld advise not getting accommodation before speaking to the rescue that you want to home from as different rescue has different requirements so it's always worth checking first as rabbit set-ups can be quite expensive :wave:

Welcome to the forum :wave: I think it's great that you are researching first, like the others have said, a 6ft x 4ft pen is best and it needs to be at least 2ft high so that the bunnies can stand up fully no problem. :)

I personally would not go any smaller than 6ft x 4ft. With the bigger the better.

I think a 4x4 is fine if its used as a base or they have lots of free range time. Mine is only 6x2 and it houses 2 nethies, theyre both very happy in there and have lots to do. They get a lot of free range time and are never locked in at their most active times.

It's fantastic that you're looking into it first! So many people buy buns on impulse.

First off, rabbits need LOTS of space! Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiO9rzU_aw&feature=related

Rabbits need to be able to go crazy like this. It's known as 'binkying'. While a 6ft x 4ft enclosure would be fine for a 'base' plenty of free range time (especially in the early mornings and evenings) is vital for happy rabbits. Buns should also be kept in pairs or groups, but never with a piggie. :)

If I haven't already said so, welcome to RU! :wave:

Back