• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelling cages

I have two indoor rabbits that share a cage and was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to make the cage smell nice for 3 day or a bit more

Hello and welcome :wave:

It may help to give some more information for instance the size of the cage and what bedding/litter you currently use.

Do they spend all their time in the cage?

I use newspaper and hay for two of my rabbits litter boxes. As long as I change it every 2-3 days it doesn't smell. The other two I use megazorb for and again, as long as I change it every 2-3 days it doesn't smell.

3+ days? Are you serious?

It's never going to smell good for more than that!

How would you think your bathroom would smell if you/anyone else in your house did their business in the toilet without flushing for 3+ days :shock:

Their house won't be very hygenic if you dont clean it out for 3+ days :roll:

I have 2 indoor buns, and clean them out on alternate days.I also change the litter trays daily, but as Lily isnt litter trained, they do need doing often.

i have one indoor bun and all i use is woodshavings and hay and because of collage they may only get his litter tray cleaned out every 5 days. for some weird reason he doesnt smell at all during that time which is weird. the litter tray can be a bit of a mess so when i do clean it out it is a full on one. i use bowling hot water and anything that is safe, first i let it soak in bowling hot water and then i use cift as it does quite a good job but i wash it out really good and wash it again with washing up liquid.

then i fully dry and and only put a small amount of shavings in as he tends to spread it every where.

i have one indoor bun and all i use is woodshavings and hay and because of collage they may only get his litter tray cleaned out every 5 days. for some weird reason he doesnt smell at all during that time which is weird. the litter tray can be a bit of a mess so when i do clean it out it is a full on one. i use bowling hot water and anything that is safe, first i let it soak in bowling hot water and then i use cift as it does quite a good job but i wash it out really good and wash it again with washing up liquid.

then i fully dry and and only put a small amount of shavings in as he tends to spread it every where.

just so people know the days i clean out his litter tray do vary. normally i would do this on a wednesday and then again on a sunday, but some times it can be 5 days between each clean.

I'd sure smell if I didn't shower for three days :lol:

I would just change it regularly to be honest, the best way to keep smells away is just to keep it clean.

What are you using in their cage, is their cage their litter tray as well?

I change my litter tray every other day, and if it looks a bit yuck I'll change it anyway.

xx

i find that with my rabbits they only start smelling when someone leaves the heater on to long and its their wee that i can smell every where....

the solution is to change their litter tray daily...and i suggest using a sheet of newspaper to line it and a mixture on hay and pets at home rabbit litter...i find that when i use this i can get away with leaving their litter tray for up to 3 days with no smell.

Depending on your rabbits and their setup, a good option can be to use a litter tray, and only have litter/bedding type materials in that one place. Then it's easy to change daily.

For example my rabbits have a pen, with carpet all over, and a litter tray with newspaper and hay. I empty, change and refill the tray every day so it doesn't get smelly. :)

Hi, I use the woodbased cat litter from P@H. Line tray with thick newspaper, good covering of litter, then handfuls of hay. Then put in a few sticks of rosemary or another fragrant smelling herb.

If youre pushed for time for cleaning the whole tray, could you scoop out the smelly bit and top up with fresh litter till you get chance for a proper clean out?

I change my Rolo's litter 2x a week and it NEVER smells. Think it might have alot to do with the litter I use, it soakes up really well.

Hope this helps

Rach x

Back