• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT need a chat about orphaned bunnies

fibromom

New Kit
Oh how I pray that someone will come online soon whom I can chat with.
A long, sad story short: I have 3 orphaned (near full term) baby bunnies. I'd just like to read about experiences like this and pick people's brains. I'm working so hard to keep these sweeties alive but I know the odds are against me.

Sky O,
I was an OB nurse prior to becoming disabled with severe Fibromyalgia (ME) so I've got experience in needs of (HUMAN newborns!)
Babes are BRAND NEW... they were a few hours old when I posted. (We did a c-section on Mom who was dead immediately before delivery. Didn't know she was pg but babes look full term.) As of right this moment, they are 29 hrs old. I've been feeding them warmed, diluted cow whipping cream in a 3 cc syringe, no tube nor nipple. They've done amazingly well, tonight's feeding (I feed every 4 hours) blessed me with ALL 3 getting the "sucking thing" down. "Runt" has always been best at it and HE'S VERY TINY.
They are all passing urine and feces. That, too, is a miracle in my mind's eye. Tomorrow, I'll get some KMR (kitten milk replacement, I think it's called) and some goat's milk to add to it but I don't think I should feed them ANYTHING HOMOGENIZED/// anybody know anything about that?
I know I've got a slim chance of saving them but I am giving my "all" to it.
Please help... maybe send me a crisis addy to send my questions to if nothing else.

Cows milk isn't good for young animals. You best option is either goats milk or kitchen replacement milk. Don't add any cows milk to it. If you're in the US then you might be able to get hold of actual rabbit replacement milk if you can get in touch with a cottontail (wild rabbit) rehabber as they often have it to hand. Your local humane society or a wildlife rescue can probably let you know about any in your area.

If you know or can find anyone with a doe with a litter the same age you can also try fostering the kits to her. That's the highest survival chance but hard to locate someone.

Sterilization is important, do the same as you would for babies, used boiled water to mix feeds, clean equipment afterwards etc.

Feeding wise they'll probably need to eat about 4 times a day and they'll eat a little more each day until around 4 weeks when they tail off again. It sounds like you've got the hang of toileting.

Getting them to 29 hours with that kinda of start is impressive! The first few days and then the 2-3 weeks period is most risky. Rabbits are particularly hard to successfully handrear but it is possible so good luck!

I wonder if it would be possible to find a foster mum for these babies?

If you're in the UK I wonder if a breeder or someone in your area may be able to foster them to an already feeding doe?

How are they this morning?

I wonder if it would be possible to find a foster mum for these babies?

If you're in the UK I wonder if a breeder or someone in your area may be able to foster them to an already feeding doe?

How are they this morning?

OP is in the states Sky :wave: (From her first thread i just read)

OP is in the states Sky :wave: (From her first thread i just read)

Ah ok. Still might be potential for a foster mum in the states. *nods* Have seen it done more successfully over there than over here actually, due to less of a divide between breeders and rescues, in a lot of cases (although obviously not all).

You should be able to find a wildlife rehabber that can help. :) Hope the babies make it!

Back