• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with syringing meds for EC

ankyferdi

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while and have found this forum invaluable since I saved two bunnies from an animal auction- they were about to be bought for ferret food:censored:

Anky my nethie has suspected EC, the vets thinks this as she has a mark on her iris. He has given me baytril in case it is a bacterial infection and panacur for the suspected EC. Anky's husbun Ferdi also has panancur just in case.

My problem is that although Ferdi happily scoffs his meds off a shreddie, Anky hates the meds. I've tried mixing safe baby food in with the meds, giving them off basil, pellets and a fenugreek crunchie but with no avail. I'm having to syringe it and she hates it and me now :cry: I am only a week into the 28 day course and I'm desperate for more ideas on how to tempt her to eat it herself.

I am afraid my bunnies dont like syringing either and they do tend to struggle and refuse. I tend to wrap them up tightly in a towel in a "bunny burrito" style - like you would make a burrito or wrap but with bunnies head sticking out at one end, then snuggly sit them in the crook of your elbow and trying to put the syringe in to the side of their mouth where there is the gap.

They dont like it but they usually know that if they get on with it it is over quickly - though Starbuck is an expert at hiding his face and ducking out the way. A treat afterwards helps.

Mine will both eat the panacur in a tasty "sandwich" made with 2 basil or sage leaves, give them a rub to increase the aroma before making the sandwich.

Otherwise its on a folded towel on the table bottom to your tummy, hand on shoulders to keep bunny down, up on to the head, thumb to lift lip and in with the syringe. You will find there is less struggling if you take bunny in to a room they are unfamiliar with.

Don't forget the bleach cleaning on the special days or re-infection can occur.

2 thin slices of banana with the meds sandwiched in between works for my guys, even Mimi who is a clever little madam and wont be fooled by hiding it in any other food! :wave:

Just to let you all know that touch wood things are getting a bit better. Anky is now taking her meds herself - a mixture of baytril, panacur, honey and safe baby food off a spoon! I couldn't believe it when she started lapping if off the spoon. It seems that it was the syringe she was most frightened of. The only problem was that Ferdi wanted some and lightly nipped me when I said he couldn't share :roll:
Suddenly the next 18 days don't seem so bad!

Back