• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female female bonds DON'T WORK?

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a little concerned to see on a rescue's website that they're planning on rehoming 2 bonded girlies seperately. They're between 1 and 2 years old. They aren't yet spayed but will be before being rehomed. It seems really harsh to me to seperate a bond like this unnecessarily. It says in the description that 'female/female pairs rarely work long term'. I've never had any buns but my 2 boys so I wouldn't know, but surely if their bond is strong now there's no reason why they should fall out once spayed, is there?

Are just feel really sad for them being seperated. Is this usual?

Last edited:
That really is sad :(

I have a group of 5 girls who are good together.

We also have Reuben and Razzle looking for a home who are two males.
I would never seperate a pair who were happy together.

Every pair has the potential long term to fall out, but that is no reason to instantly seperate :(

Female/female pairings are the most unreliable and can randomly break up as the bunnies get older.

However I see no reason to separate them now if they're getting along :? As Starlight said, *any* bond has the potential to break down over time.

It seems quite normal to seperate littermates when they are youngsters so they can be put into male/female pairs. Is there like a recommended cut off point when if they are happy together they should stay together?

If they are only young and unspayed they could be starting to squabble but longterm once spayed most girl buns will be ok

I'm a little concerend to see on a rescue's website that they're planning on rehoming 2 bonded girlies seperately. They're between 1 and 2 years old. They aren't yet spayed but will be before being rehomed. It seems really harsh to me to seperate a bond like this unnecessarily. It says in the description that 'female/female pairs rarely work long term'. I've never had any buns but my 2 boys so I wouldn't know, but surely if their bond is strong now there's no reason why they should fall out once spayed, is there?

Are just feel really sad for them being seperated. Is this usual?

We have two bonded girls Lilly and Tilly. I rescued them from where i work (neither had been spayed, or vacc). The reason i took them was because they were fighting (although i suspect with hindsight it was Tilly being the aggressor) when i went to change them out and feed them there was a lot of fur in the hutch. I knew that something would go wrong and one of them would end up with a nasty injury

So Rich and i made a decision to take them have them spayed and vacc with the view to rehome them :)lol: that never happened)

That was well over 1 yr ago, and they are fine together. Tilly is still the dominant bun (and does on a daily basis let Lilly know this), they are not as close as our other bonded buns SophieAnnie and Shaun. But in my op there is no need to separate just because they are 2 females.

My Hubby found Bella telling Jacob who's boss this morning. It does look odd when she is half his size. I don't know what Jake's had done to earn a telling off, She sometime does it if he has food that he wont share!

I have 4 girls together. I think any bond *can* work, it's not about their sex, it's about their different personalities.

Back