• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding males

chance

Warren Scout
Hi I would love some advice on bonding some of my guys !!

I have successfully bonded all of my bunnies ( all different combinations ) and would love to bond my two pairs together, one female and male in each family.

They live separated by wire mesh only and never any fighting , they do sniff each other . I tried them together in a huge run, 12 foot by 9 foot. The boys immediately locked onto each other rolling around in circles, I immediately separated them as scared of them biting each other bits !!

Does this mean this bond will never work, with my last bond ( male/female and male/male there was just bottom fur pulling and that was it.

Both boys are done.

many thanks

Sorry, I missed your original post.

There are some rules that one has to follow when bonding (things like neutral territory (i.e. space none know), small space, keep them confined, all animals spayed/neutered, supervise for a minimum of 48 hours solidly, but normally more).

You definitely didn't follow one of those rules (the small space rule), but did you follow the others?

To bond them you need to have them in a small space (roughly 5ft by 2ft or so for fouur rabbits), so what you did is not a reflection on what may happen if they were bonded following all the rules and doing it properly.

Maybe it might be worth getting a rescue to do it for you in exchange for a donation?

try a pm to chloaster (of Fat Fluffs) as she has a large amount of rabbits totally bonded (of both sexes) and may be able to give you advice
sue:wave:

Last edited:
Thank you !! I will re try myself , Do you know of any rescue centres in hampshire that might help ? I tried BoB Tails but they wont bond adult males:( Ill let you know how I get on, How long do I leave the going for each other before separating ?

We have two bonded males though they were together from birth before having big scraps, being neutered (that is when we found out we had 2 boys, not 2 girls), then rebonded.

I would say that the process is really the same as bonding any pair. The difference is that adult males can cause serious injury to each other if left to fight, so it's even more important that you follow the bonding guidelines abou a small, neutral space and 24/7 supervision until you are very confident they are fully bonded.

I have read that male/male is supposed to be the most difficult pairing, but lots of people on here have 2 males together.

Where abouts in hampshire are you? :wave:

I've bonded two female/male pairs and a male into a trio of two males and a female.

Car rides are great, my advice is to bond in a very very small neautral area to start with. And wipe them all over thoroughly with a grooming wipe before.

Here's my latest bonding... might be worth a read through to help you :) I gradually over the weeks gave them more space and if they started to re-gress we went back to the smaller space again.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229434

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229593

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=231690

Back