• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some help with how to word something.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I made a post on Saturday about how I wanted to take a rabbit from someone but I'm not quite sure how to word it. I assume they want the rabbit and they have a little girl who wants the rabbit as she was telling me all about him. Unluckily for them children tell the truth. (Covered in other post) So how can I ask for their pet?

These are my ideas:
If you get bored of the rabbit can I have him - they'll be too proud to admit it, plus I think that's a very nasty thing to say and I don't want to upset them. (Okay I do but it won't help the situation).
If the rabbit becomes too much to look after - they have three young kids at home so that sounds good, but of course he won't be too much to look after because they're not doing it properly. :?
I'm looking for another rabbit and I heard you had one - but I assume they want him...

How do I nicely ask for someone's pet?

What about- Hi, I'm looking for a rabbit and I was just wondering if it was possible to take your one off your hands. I mean I know what it's like having kids taking them places and parties and things like that so maybe me taking the bun will take a bit of weight off your shoulders.

What about that. :) Hope you come up with something soon. BTW Try to sound casual as if they've done nothing wrong with the way they've treated him/her

What about- Hi, I'm looking for a rabbit and I was just wondering if it was possible to take your one off your hands. I mean I know what it's like having kids taking them places and parties and things like that so maybe me taking the bun will take a bit of weight off your shoulders.

What about that. :) Hope you come up with something soon. BTW Try to sound casual as if they've done nothing wrong with the way they've treated him/her

That sounds good. Might have to reword it though. Like those kids ever get taken out. :evil:

Oh. I didn't mean you had to use those EXACT words it was a suggestion. :) Oh for goodness sake spoilt kids and a badly treated bun :evil:

Could you try something along the lines of, I was thinking ofgetting a rabbit and I've heard they're not great pets for kids as they can scratch and kick. I was wondering if you had had any problems with your rabbit like that?

Then its offering them a get out of jail free card so to speak.

Could you try something along the lines of, I was thinking ofgetting a rabbit and I've heard they're not great pets for kids as they can scratch and kick. I was wondering if you had had any problems with your rabbit like that?

Then its offering them a get out of jail free card so to speak.

That's a good idea. Putting them off and if she says 'oh no my one never does that.' You could mention the spring fever.

Thanks for the advice. I can almost 100% guarantee he's not picked up and never comes out of the hutch. :(

How about - asking how Peanut is doing? Do they enjoy seeing him play etc?
Obviously - or hopefully they will say " oh he is fine...and we dont see him play"
Then you can ask " Do you find it hard to supervise play time?..or dont have enough time?"
Whatever the reply is - its bound to be along the lines of we dont think he needs it - or yes - we dont have time as we have kids etc etc...basically youre sympathising with their situation.....
Then you can say "....Im looking for a friend for my bunny......I was wondering if you'd consider letting me rehome your bun with mine? They could then play togther and at least you'd feel like the bunny had playtime and you'd feel less stressed about trying to spread your time over the kids and the animals?"
Again sympathy....

dont really know what else to suggest - its so very hard when they keep getting pets they dont care for.:evil: Perhaps you could always say the little girls is welcome to come and visit the bunny and its new friend....?:)

Well, how did you go about getting the dog and hamster off them, are there any techniques that worked well or that didn;t work well in those cases? If they give you the bun would you let their child visit him? Here's an idea, could you offer to take him for a short while, like maaybe say, "oh I've started up a pet boarding service and I'll look after him for nothing in return for a recommendation" and then once you have had him for a while, see how keen they are to take him back? They might find they aren't inerested in keeping him once he's out of the way for a while.

Well the hamster was left at someone else's house and the dog they'd had for years, I think he was about nine, and they'd just had another baby. It was my mother-in-law at the time who took him. I guess I'm just going to have to ask if I can have him because I want him. But if they say no then I'm all out of ideas. Of course their kid can visit but I was going to let my friend have him as a husbun for her rabbit. I have already agreed to taking on another rabbit and I don't want to let that person down. I'd decided I wanted a third bun for a couple of reasons. First of all because I fell in love with her and secondly because I have to split my two up to feed Grim a few times a day and Smoo gets quite upset that she can't come it with him, so I thought it would be nice for her to have company then. And she doesn't like going to the vets so I usually take Grim on his own so again it would be nice to have a third. I just wasn't expecting this. He won't be neutered and perhaps will have other health issues. But I still have to at least try and get him.

Back