• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Feet

Shellypops

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, Bobby has what looks like clumps of fur on the bottom of her feet. I was worried that they were absses like things, but I think it's just fur!

She won't let me touch her feet, but there again she is a mare :roll::oops:

Has anybody come across clumping of fur?? I have asked on here before ages ago and no one answered :)

Thats what my Herbie's feet are like just now and he is moulting. I picked loads of it off last night.

I know you say she won't let you touch her feet, but could you lift her up and gently tug it, it might come out, and then it would mean moulting feet!

Just a possibility x

Thats what my Herbie's feet are like just now and he is moulting. I picked loads of it off last night.

I know you say she won't let you touch her feet, but could you lift her up and gently tug it, it might come out, and then it would mean moulting feet!

Just a possibility x

I used to tug them out they are like little clumps of fur, they have got quite big, now, and she goes for me when I touch her feet :oops:, thats what worried me, as I thought she may be in pain, :shock:

Sore Hocks don't look like fur clumps do they?

yeah Alvin gets them quite bad. every so often me and Ste try to pluck them because Lou once said if buns do it themselves thats whatll cause a blockage :(

Alvin is quite good now but Holly OMG talk about overreaction to being feetplucked :lol:

I used to tug them out they are like little clumps of fur, they have got quite big, now, and she goes for me when I touch her feet :oops:, thats what worried me, as I thought she may be in pain, :shock:

Sore Hocks don't look like fur clumps do they?

Nah, sore hocks are like bare back feet.

Could just be matterd fur that she can't groom out, might be tangled together so a bit sore to pull out. If you CAN pick her up, then you could cut them out (assuming it is deffo fur)

Sally has this too:? I was wondering if I could *carefully* clip them off, but what if it causes extra pressure on her feet, and makes them sore:?

Sorry I can't help!

Sally has this too:? I was wondering if I could *carefully* clip them off, but what if it causes extra pressure on her feet, and makes them sore:?

Sorry I can't help!

To be honest, i think that a clump of matted fur would be quite uncomfortable and would be better off if possible. Just don't cut it all the way down to the skin.

yeah Alvin gets them quite bad. every so often me and Ste try to pluck them because Lou once said if buns do it themselves thats whatll cause a blockage :(

Alvin is quite good now but Holly OMG talk about overreaction to being feetplucked :lol:

Bobby is a little :censored: with her feet, she is an angel with injections, but she is an idiot for getting claws clipped... is only a pedicure I keep telling her :lol:

Do they look like this Shelly?

P1030716Small.jpg

Its like a 'flap' of fur.

A bit, obviously bobby's is white, and I have tried to get them off, but she will bite me :cry:

The 'flap' is on the right hand side, being held to one side by my thumb.

My vet said its a matt, from where she kept sitting in wee after Biscuit's JCB digging.

He shaved it down and we used sudocrem for 5 days and it healed up and has grown back lovely :)

The 'flap' is on the right hand side, being held to one side by my thumb.

My vet said its a matt, from where she kept sitting in wee after Biscuit's JCB digging.

He shaved it down and we used sudocrem for 5 days and it healed up and has grown back lovely :)

It's more like little Bobbles of fur, I thought they were lumps at first. I think its from when she has sat in something to be honest, like a spillage :)

It's more like little Bobbles of fur, I thought they were lumps at first. I think its from when she has sat in something to be honest, like a spillage :)

You may find she'll groom them out herself :)

Ginger has little 'bobbles' where she is moulting, could it be that?

If possible, could you get Ian to hold her and just softly pull at one to see if they come loose, or if they are really attached.

Obviously, you know what i'll say if you're worried and aren't sure :)

No it sounds like normal matts from moulting that hasn't shifted. Many buns get them on the feet. They can make hopping painful so best thing is to gently tease them out by hand x

Will have a go at teasng them out, they used to be quite easy to tug when she was younger, but these seem like they are really stuck firm :?

I don't know the answer but I read somewhere (I don't remember where it was before I got Jenson and didn't realise quite how impossible it would be) that because rabbits don't have paws you have to brush their feet so fur doesn't build up.
That said, I haven't read anything about it since and I don't stand much chance of Jenson letting me near his feet! He had his claws done while he was at the vets last week.

Lots of my bunnies get this too, and its quite easy to get out if you can tip them, and tuck their head and shoulders between your elbow and waist gently but firmly, and tease the tufts out with your fingers or gently with a comb.

Believe me none of my buns like to be tipped, but if you get it right, and they feel secure, and you don't take ages, its easily do-able.

:wave: Yep, my Emily gets this (house rabbit) and is particularly bad if she's moulting, I suppose it kind of builds up? Anyway, cut it off with scissors the other night (checked for sore hocks but all ok) :)

Mylo has big massive fluffy bits on the side of his feet, i call them his ugg boots :roll: i did wonder if anyone elses rabbits has these.

My dad is fascinated by them so when one fell off a few weeks ago i posted it to him :lol:

Mine used to get this when they were on carpet. Not had any instance of it since they've been on lino.

Back