• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has head tilt - some questions

Dommy

Warren Scout
today i noticed charlies head tilting to the side, he wasnt his usual self, he didnt want to move, and when he did he would easily topple over the smallest obsticle. taken him to the vets early this evening as i called the vets and they said it was important they saw him asap.

charlie in the past (roughly 6, maybe 8 months ago) has had E-coniculi (SP?), which has left a slight lasting effect on his back legs, as they occasionaly slide from under him on a slippery surface. the vets expect it to be e-coniculi again and has been given panacure and im taking him back mid-next week.

there were a few questions i didnt get to ask whilst there as i was slightly overwhelmed with panic and worry ;\, so wondered if anyone here whos had experience with this illness could help me out

assuming his course of panacure treats the problem, will it leave a lasting affect on him?

is e-coniculi likely what is causing his head tilt.

what are the best ways to make him comfortable untill he is treated? i noticed he slides around a bit, ive taken toys out of his cage, ive put a towl down so his feet wont slide, he isnt going to his water bottle and likes to sit in his litter tray so im holding his waterbottle infront of him every few hours so he can have a drink.

sorry for the long post, am extremely worried :\

Head tilt can be caused by EC but it can also be the result of a middle ear infection. My Vet likes to cover all bases and treats with both Panacur and an antibiotic. A middle ear infection CANNOT always be diagnosed just by looking into the ear canal with an otoscope, skull radiographs are usually required. This may not be possible if Bun is already too poorly and therefore a too high risk for sedation/GA. A non steroidal anti inflammatory is also ESSENTIAL. If it is EC then it is important to try to minimise the inflammatory response to erupting EC spores. It is the inflammatory response that causes clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage. If a middle ear infection is present it is still important to reduce inflammation.

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/s/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.html

Supportive nursing care such as syringe feeding and helping him clean himself may also be necessary. The eye on the 'downside' can become dry and sore so it is necessary to keep a close watch for any signs of problems. Artificial tears can help to keep the eyes lubricated.

Some Rabbits do make a full recovery from headtilt, others may be left with a permanent tilt but the can learn to cope with it.

http://www.onthewonk.com/

I have nursed two bunnies with EC, one had head tilt, one had hind leg paralysis.

I agree with Jane that your bun should also be on a course of antibiotics and a non steroidal anti inflammatory. I would recommend speaking to your vet and asking for these. You will more than likely need a long course of these.

My bun that had head tilt (Kermit) couldnt stand by himself for about a week, even after then he would roll a lot when he tried to move. This is a horrible illness for a bunny, but more distressing for a human to watch. Bunnies can and do get over this, it is hard work treating them, but they are wee fighters.

My bunny was left with permanent head tilt, but he learned to live with it and coped well. There are a lot of bunnies that totally recover.

Rolled up towels around the sides of the cage help bun to keep balance. Keeping them eating and drinking is good.

Good luck with this. We are all here to help, there are a good few people on here that have been in the exact same situation. x

Back