• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Freaking Out - UPDATE =)

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I know I haven't been around in a long time, but I am freaking out right now. Eddison was fine this morning, but I just came in and he's dragging himself around his cage with limp hind legs. When I went to check on him, he walked on his hind legs for a bit, but he keeps getting up and laying down again.

What do you guys think this is? My mind rushes to a few places, and I don't like any of them. My normal vet is closed today (Sunday) and none of the other vets in the area know rabbits really well. I almost think it would be worse to stress him out and bring him to a place when they'll simply refer me to my normal vet in the morning.

Help a panicked mom. :cry:

Last edited:
Possibly EC?

Anyway you are right he will need to be seen by the vet and the sooner the better - I'm sure you'll get the first appointment you can

Good luck!

Ruth

I'm really sorry, what a horrible shock, I'm afraid I have no idea what's caused it but have heard of this happening before, hopefully someone else might shed some light. It sounds quite serious to me though, does your vet not have an out of hours practice? Mine do but it's not at the normal surgery, it's in another town but I'm not sure how rabbit savvy they are, I must try and find this out in case I do ever need them.

He's walking around now, but he keeps walking around and settling down again. Something definitely doesn't seem right, and his back legs still seem a bit weak. I wish I knew what to do until my vet appointment tomorrow.

Can a rabbit ever do this from fear? I'm babysitting two dogs right now, but we don't let them anywhere near the buns. The buns can hear them bark sometimes, but that's about it. We've also babysat a few times before, and it's never been a problem.

Can you not call the emergency vet? Even if you dont actually take him just to speak on the phone to see whether it can actually wait till morning or not.

Doesnt sound like fear response to me :?]

Could he have fallen and hurt himself?

:wave: I'm so sorry to hear about Eddison. Broad grin that he's still with you! :D I can definitely say it's not psychological. Good luck at the vets today & please let us know how you get on.

If he hasn't physically hurt himself it could be EC which will need an extensive course of Panacur and an anti inflammatory! Hope your vet can find out what's wrong and can help him!

He is eating, pooing, and drinking totally normally. He didn't totally finish his breakfast, but after he stopped dragging his hind quarters around, he ate the rest of his breakfast, drank some water, and he's been scoffing down hay all night. He seems perfectly fine. =/

I'm not sure what it was, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him and I'll be ringing my vet in the morning to see what she thinks. He's running around happily and looks perfectly bright.

Does EC come in waves at all? Like, one moment dragging around and fine the next? He has no other symptoms and I just don't know what to make of all this.

Hi. I don't have any advice, I just read the thread and wanted to ask how Eddison is doing today, what happened with the vet?

Hi Sara, good to hear from you :wave: So sorry about Eddison.

As well as EC there is a chance he may have injured his spine/ pelvis. Please keep him as confined as possible until a vet can examine him and rule out any trauma. He could have done it just by binkying so it can't be ruled out just yet.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

I talked to my vet today (we played phone tag all day yesterday) and she said that her best guess was just his tummy feeling weird. He's been perfectly fine ever since the random incident, binkying about, eating everything, and causing mischief.

She said that EC wouldn't just come and go like that, nor would a damaged spine or anything else. She told me to just keep an eye out for any weakness and to watch him in general, but she thinks that since it happened right after he drank some water, he may have taken in too much air and his tummy felt weird, so he just dragged it across the rug.

Darn my weird rabbit. :roll:

Thanks for all the advice and responses, everyone. I felt a lot better after posting to RU and seeing all your wonderful posts again. You guys are the best. :wave:

So pleased he is feeling better, I have been watching out for an update :) :wave:

What the vet says makes perfect sense as Emmy-Lou used to drag her back legs when she had severe tummy pain. Originally we thought she had broken her leg, but they were fine :)

That's wonderful news, I'm so relieved & pleased for you both.:D
That makes sense to me too, although at the time I was completely flummoxed by it.

Back