• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really worried... all the outdoor buns were let out

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I was in bed a couple of hours ago as I'm not very well and I heard a commotion downstairs in the house. It sounded like my OH when he gets in from the pub but it was a different kind of noise. I went downstairs and looked around and the noise stopped - assumed it was something going on next door.

Anyway... went out to say goodnight to the buns (I normally lock them up in the shed at about midnight) and I find that the shed door is wide open, all the doors on their three storey hutch are wide open, it is pitch black and there is no sign of any of the buns :cry::cry::cry:

I have a complete panic attack, get the OH in the garden and we spend the next hour hunting for them and thankfully they are in the garden and come when I shake the pellets. We herd them all back into the shed and I have now padlocked the door but am terrified.

I would never, ever, ever have left anything open - I am paranoid and OCD about it anyway as it's my worst nightmare, someone would have had to come into the garden and let them all out. The last time I checked on them was at 7pm after I had fed them and so five hours had passed...

I am worried because I did this yesterday to my neighbour: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272929

Oh crikey, are they now safe?, what a worry, can you bring them indoors for a night or two until you find out what's happened?

Oh crikey, are they now safe?, what a worry, can you bring them indoors for a night or two until you find out what's happened?

They're now all padlocked and bolted into the shed (they weren't before, as I usually do it about midnight every night.) It would take one hell of a commotion to get past the bolts and locks once they're in place, so if anything happened this time, we'd definitely hear it. But with the shed unlocked earlier and just one of the bolts to undo, somebody could have easily just walked in.

I would never, ever have left all the doors open. I am OCD about it and always check several times when I leave to make sure everything's in place.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid about this "friend" of mine or not. She is being quite mad at the moment, she and her husband are going through a rough time...

Oh no! I remember reading your post, were they back today? Awful to think that it might have something to do with them. Have they said anything to you about it since you spoke to them on the phone?

I would definitely suspect your neighbor did it...who else would open all the doors? Pretty horrible thing to do :(

that is just too awful, your poor heart must have just stopped x So lucky they are all tucked up safely now x You need todo some detective work tomorrow !

So long as they are safe, can you sleep with a window open so as you can hear if anyone comes into your garden?

Do you think it's your 'friend'?

Thats terrible!! Can you attach a 'shed alarm' - that would soon startle them!

Deffo use bolts and padlocks when you are out though, how terrible! :(

Oh no! I remember reading your post, were they back today? Awful to think that it might have something to do with them. Have they said anything to you about it since you spoke to them on the phone?

she hasn't contacted me since... she must have got home and seen what I did and either just accepted it or went completely mad about it! There are three main truths about it. 1. Neither me nor my OH left the doors open 2. It would take a human to open the doors - the buns wouldn't have been able to do it by themselves, the doors are heavy and stiff 3. It would have to be someone in the vicinity who knew where my buns were.

It's just got to be her?

So long as they are safe, can you sleep with a window open so as you can hear if anyone comes into your garden?

Do you think it's your 'friend'?

I am sleeping in the room tonight, which is almost right next to the shed in the garden and will open a window too. The shed is so padlocked and bolted that if anybody tried to get into it, they would have to make a massive effort, so I'm certain (unless she tried to burn it down - God forbid) I would hear anything that went on.

When I go out tomorrow I will keep it padlocked and bolted and my OH will be home too.

It must be her... :cry:

very awkward with being neighbours, I guess you either politely go round tomorrow, or make sure at all times they are under lock and key, surely no one in their right minds would do such a cruel thing ?

very awkward with being neighbours, I guess you either politely go round tomorrow, or make sure at all times they are under lock and key, surely no one in their right minds would do such a cruel thing ?

I can see how she would resent my interference and maybe thought she would cause a little interference of her own in my life. Especially as she and her husband are on the verge of divorce and because he gave me permission to go round, that has made her more angry - like we are teaming up against her?

I have put all the security lights on in the garden too, to last all night! She will be floodlit if she steps foot in the garden...

maybe I should get a shed alarm tomorrow too?

Yeah, the ones I have seen go off making a terrible noise within 10 seconds of the doors opening if you dont key in a code - scared the hell out of me and might put whoever it is off from doing it again (and you would know the doors had been opened?)

Some CCTV cameras are cheap these days too :)

I would speak to her tomorrow, don't mention the incident that happened this evening but see if you can try and smooth things over with her, tell her you didn't mean to upset her or interfere, all you wanted to do was be helpful. The last thing you want is a stand off with them or things to get nasty.

Edit: I had no idea you could get shed alarms! What a great idea, I'd get these anyway if you can, it can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your support everyone... I will not sleep a wink tonight and I will have an enquiring chat with her tomorrow... I would not put this past her...

aw im so sorry, that's so scary :(

i admit, it DOES seem like too big a coincidence for it not to be her.

but you have to be really careful - it might not have been her. you don't want to accuse her and make her more mad at you.

hope you manage to get some sleep

Hugs! That must have been really scary! You can get a reasonably priced CCTV camera from Maplins that connects you your PC, its a motion detector and there are also ones that have night vision too.. If it was her, then what a :censored:

:shock:
definitely get a shed alarm and keep the padlocks on. how worrying:( if it was her, she does sound slightly unhinged so be careful if or when you speak to her x

Back