• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor buns...... fire evacuation

shell1805

Mama Doe
this might sound odd, but is something i worry about alot... how would all you guys with indoor buns get them out if there was a fire?? have you got an escape plan??

:oops: can you tell that im a worrier??

this might sound odd, but is something i worry about alot... how would all you guys with indoor buns get them out if there was a fire?? have you got an escape plan??

:oops: can you tell that im a worrier??

I've got the 2 carriers set up and ready in the rabbit room so if there's a fire, I get the buns, and the OH gets the cat

No to plan. yes to thinking about it! Esme and Elijah are really hard to catch, so that's a big worry in particular.

I did once have a crisis where I had water coming through the ceiling and Esme had an inch of water in her cage and water gushing on her. The stubborn beast wouldn't go in a carrier and I got soaked trying to make her:roll: She was panicking like crazy and the smoke alarm was set off by the water which was right above her. That was nowhere near as bad as fire but it did make me think "what if?..."

I have 4 bunnies upstairs as well and carrying them downstairs to safety individually/in pairs is not a great thought.

i have 3 hammies, bella and jasper and bentley :(
i just dont know how i would get them all out :cry:

(this has brought tears to my eyes.... ive been really nervous about it lately and i have no idea why)

It's something I've thought and worried about too but i haven't got a plan as such. Depends how bad it is, where it is and if I can reach them ok. We are told to get ourselves out first and let the rescue services get pets out but instinct would take over, plus I'd be better experienced in catching them and putting them in their carrier so if I could I'd try and get them out, really does depend on circumstances though. I'd make sure that you have good fire alarms in place, I've got two fire angels that have a 10 year life and don't require batteries so I don't need to worry about batteries running out.

snowball is really friendly and comes running to me if i go to the cage, so he would be easily grabbed and carried in that situation.

but it would depend on where the fire was and the situation etc.

because lucas has to be my first priority - i would do my very best for snowball, but, being honest i couldn't / wouldn't risk my life to get him out, because i have my son to consider and he needs his mummy

:( my main worry stems from at night. the buns are in the front room and i wouldnt be able to get to them if the fire was in there or the kitchen. i was thinking about getting a dog crate so i can bring them in our bedroom at night but the OH thinks ive gone nuts :oops:

I thought I'd grab the biggest indoor cage i have- get as many rabbits in as i could, drag it out of the building fast as possible. I'd even be prepared to put the cats and buns in together as an emergency as the cats get on with the buns here and i've had them in the outdoor runs together.

My hamster I'd put in my coat pocket and yes this is something that worries me also. I think in an emergency the brain can come up with fast solutions that work so I'm sure other ideas would jump out at me. Saving my animals would be my top priority, always. I did a similar thread awhile ago and the idea of putting the animals in a duvet would work.

I'd then work on collecting the outdoor buns also and getting them away from the house- taking them to the farthest shed- again for me it would be a quick bonding experience for the buns- they would literally be thrown in together, but it would be better than the alternative for sure. Horrible to think about but necessary to have some kind of precautions. I try and keep all my buns together. I think this allows for ease of gathering them up in such a situation.

our dog sleeps in with us so he is not a worry, its just the buns and hammies. i would try as much as i could but we live in a one bed flat so if the fire isnt in with us its gonna cut us off to them :cry:

(why cant i shake this :( )

My friend had this happen a while back..

she lives in a block of flats and here's how she did it..

She took the hamster out of the cage and put the bunny in hamsters cage. Hamster went in the handbag and the cat went in bunnies carrier. And the gold fish went in a jug.
:shock:

She took the hamster out of the cage and put the bunny in hamsters cage. Hamster went in the handbag and the cat went in bunnies carrier. And the gold fish went in a jug.

:shock: wow..... gives me a little hope :)

:shock: Did she plan that in case of an emergency or was it really good quick thinking?

:shock: Did she plan that in case of an emergency or was it really good quick thinking?

I couldn't tell you! and she still managed to update her FB status whilst stood outside..

It wasn't her flat on fire though, it was someone else in the building. So she had a bit more time to kill. xx

Honestly, I'd just grab and run. I could easily hold my three in my arms if need be. I do keep 1 carrier in my room (where the buns live), but it wouldn't hardly hold all three of them. If worse case scenario, I'd pop them in a pillowcase or wrap them up in a blanket. Whatever it took to make it safely out.
The dogs would be fine, I'm sure. Both of them sleep in my parents room and are great listeners. I could call them out of the house in an instant

Bunny/s = carrier
Hamster = put her in her bed in a carrier
I'd leave the fish and frog :( it would take too long to catch them

Hmmm I would have to fit the door back on the rabbit carrier which would take a few minutes, but I need a new one anyway so I'll leave the door on that one.

The hamster needs a new carrier too, as I would have to get her out of her bed to put her in the one I have currently, and it would just take too long. Until I get the new carrier my plan is to carry her in her bed with my hand over the entrance.

I worry about this too :(

because lucas has to be my first priority - i would do my very best for snowball, but, being honest i couldn't / wouldn't risk my life to get him out, because i have my son to consider and he needs his mummy

^^^ This. Sorry, but the children have to come first. If I get a chance to get the animals I will, but I won't risk the children (or myself, as I'm the only parent they have).

Unless the fire was at my front door, in which case we are all standing on the balcony waiting to be rescued.

I am very OCD about turning things off though, as this is something that does worry me, so the chances of a fire are minimal. I have a routine for checking that everything is turned off before leaving the flat/going to bed. If I get interrupted, I have to start again and I normally have to do it at least twice. The only thing that gets left on is the fridge/freezer, everything else it turned off from the plug.

ETA: I also have two very sensitive smoke alarms (boiling a pan of water sets them off :roll: ), so should have fair warning

Last edited:
If there was a kitchen fire that cut me off from the bunnies in the rabbit room I would use a house exit door and go outside and open the little doors(the size of cat flaps) to the rabbit room and let them into the garden which is bunny proofed.
I would just grab the hamster in my hand.

a pillowcase is a good idea for pets in an emergency- never thought of that.

sue:wave:

I have carriers easily accessible in their rooms. The lionheads one lives on top of the bookcase and the lops ones lives in the wardrobes. The lops would be quite easy so I guess I would probably scoop them up into their carrier and give it to my parents while I either opened the lionheads gate and hoped they would find somewhere safe or try to get them into their carrier quick. The beauty of my carriers is that the top opens so it's quite easy to scoop them up and put them in. I can also carry both the lops in my arms quite easily.

Rabbit would go in his carrier, each hamster would be put into a ball and put in there too while i got them downstairs, and the bird would go in the small hamster cage. That way I could get them all down in one go.
Then I'd go for the cats if my mam wasn't there/hadn't already!

Back