• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Star is off her food U/D Doing better.

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Star has shown no interest in her evening veggies....she is just sitting around....but there is no tummy pushing or flopping or anything like that.

Tried her with wet dandelions and also a carroty treat but wasnt interested in either.

I have phoned out of hours vet and they said its up to us whether to take her down or whether to try syringing her....given that we dont know whats causing it do we take her down...or do we try Critical Care or Infacol first?

I hope Jacks Jane is about...seems very ironic given that recent thread :oops:

Anyone any advice?

I'm tempted to just take her to the vets and not mess around in case its bloat or something. I have no idea what to feel for but she does feel a little bloaty I guess...

Last edited:
oh no, not star too:(

has she had an episode like this before? can you get her moving about and annoy her with food? x

Thanks for the quick replies.

She last ate at around 5pm when she had pellets and ate those with no obvious problems then. Not much water has gone but they are not big drinkers anyway. There is enough urine and poo to suggest both bunnies have gone but with two of them its hard to be 100% sure, and hard to tell if she has been since 5.

Yes she has had an episode like this before, last year about April time. We had to take her to the out of hours vets and they gave her the pain relief and gut stimulant and she recovered ok after that.

If she ate pellets at 5pm then I would just syringe cooled boiled water or Peppermint Tea if you happen to have any. Try to get about 20mls into her, but stop if she gets very stressy.

A couple of mls of Infacol or Gripewater wont do any harm.

Then try to get her to hop about. Have a feel of her abdomen too. If it feels hard or if her actual stomach feels large and hard or if she shows any signs of pain then she does need to be seen by a Vet tonight.

I only try to get any of mine through GI Stasis if I can spot what I have feed them wrong or if I can pin point a particular stress, otherwise I would get them to the vet.

Loads of vibes.

Thanks again - have just tried annoying her with some grass and getting her to move about but she just backs up from the grass and wants to sit quietly in the corner.

She would move from upstairs to downstairs with encouragement but then just sat again. She doesnt look comfy.

Thank you for the advice Jane about the infacol and the peppermint tea. One thing I should have said is that Twinkle and Star dont like being picked up much (or handled at all really if they can help it) so she may just end up getting more stressed out (I know going to the vets would do this too but at least she would be assessed and treated accordingly).

She did nibble a tiny piece of hay just now (but like, an inch!)

after Harvey's bread-eating incident he kept flopping out, then sitting up, then standing, then flopping again like he couldn't get comfy. I would go to the vets if in doubt hun she might need some metacam

Why do they always choose to get poorly on a weekend evening :roll::(

sending lots of vibes xxx

Thanks Nicola.

We are just trying some infacol while we are waiting for the boiled water to cool.

Star is very resistant to moving anywhere, she is adamant she wants to be left alone. :(

Her tummy feels quite soft actually tho, hopefully thats a good thing. The only thing I can think is that she is starting to moult - and that was about the same as what happened last year - but this time seems very early.

She has taken the Infacol - how long might it take to work? We have given about 1.2mls of that (only a small syringe).

Just a thought - they went on the grass in our garden on Thursday for a run about and ate a lot of grass - thinking about the thread the other day about the richness of spring grass - and that they have reduced access over winter - do you think that might have upset things?

They also only came back from 3 weeks boarding (due to OH's health) last weekend so whether that has also unsettled them I dont know.

Star has had a little Infacol and 10mls of mint tea. She was looking a bit stressed after this so we left it that for now. Will try with some more in a bit.

Hopefully they will help.

I guess you're in for a long night.

Hope she picks up quickly. x

Yeah I think so. :( We were already planning on taking Kenco and Muesli back to the vets tomorrow morning as well, so we are going to be up there as soon as they open, if we dont go to emergency vet tonight. :(

Thanks.

The last time we went out was for the mint tea, we are giving her some time to chillout after this and then will try with some dandelions.

But really there is no change yet :(

Thank you for asking.

Back