• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor rabbit to indoor rabbit is this easy?

andy5898

Warren Scout
My Giant continental rabbit currently lives outside. However I am beginning to think that I would like her as a house rabbit. She gets on reasonably well with my cat they are both scared of each other but that is something we are dealing with them getting on etc.

However what I wanted to know how easy is it to convert my girl to become an indoor bunny. She doesn't chew on anything she shouldn't when she pops in and out, so is it just a case of making her, her own room etc?

I know I sound a bit vague but I have always been adament my bunnies our outside, however I feel I am beginning to change my mind on this, so any advice welcomed!

Cheers Andy

when i adopted a rabbit to be a wife to my house bunny she was an outside bun.

it took her a while to get used to the TV noise and she was very nervous of her new home for a few months but soon as she had it down as safe she loved being a house bun :D

she even litter trained within days too.

You'll have to protect any cables so she doesn't electrocute herself just in case she does bite them. You may find she suddenly finds stuff to chew if my experience is anything to go by :oops::lol: It's also a good idea to provide her with a 'safe' area. A table with a blanket over works well for mine, or an old carrier.

Is she neutered? Litter trained? It'll be a change for her so for the first few weeks she may loose some of her litter training while she gets used to a new territory. I'd start with at least one litter tray per room. Maybe even keep her in one room to start with and then gradually let her into other rooms. Not only will this allow you to see whether you need to bunny proof (and give you time to do it!) it also will mean it's not so much of a shock to her.

I'd definitely bring her in or get her a friend for outside. It must be quite lonely and cold for her outside on her own.

She is 4 years old my bunny and a rescue lass, we have tried 3 or 4 times to bond her but they have been unsuccessful. There are also medical reasons why she is on her own. Just thought Id better clear that up as forgot to put that. She also has her 2 sort of friends next door my other husbun and his wife, who she likes to watch but hates going to near.

She is neutered, and is litter trained she is very house proud outside so I think she will be the same inside well hopefully. She is also the most loveable bunny in the world well I think so, but saying that I think that about my other 2 bunnies and my cat so I maybe biast!

:lol: I have five house buns and am thinking about putting a couple outside:lol:

Grass is always greener...

Is she on her own? As if so it would be best to bring her in until you get her a friend.

Wires etc. will all need to be covered as one nip and that's the end of the appliance or her or even you through a house fire:shock:

Litter tray is obviously a must. Is she tidy outside?

It would still be best to get her a castrated buck too, then you can watch the interaction between them too:love:

She is 4 years old my bunny and a rescue lass, we have tried 3 or 4 times to bond her but they have been unsuccessful. There are also medical reasons why she is on her own. Just thought Id better clear that up as forgot to put that. She also has her 2 sort of friends next door my other husbun and his wife, who she likes to watch but hates going to near.

Then definitely a house bun so she has you for company:D

It does take time as she shows you what she is happy living with and what she likes to chew but it is amazing sharing your house with a rabbit or two:love:

She is neutered, and is litter trained she is very house proud outside so I think she will be the same inside well hopefully. She is also the most loveable bunny in the world well I think so, but saying that I think that about my other 2 bunnies and my cat so I maybe biast!

Ah I see. I think she'd definitely like it indoors then. :) Do you have one part of the house which is cooler, just in case she does end up having to go back outside? It's good timing as it's getting warmer rather than cooler. :)

Bunny proofing and a place to retreat too where she won't be disturbed are the only two things I can think of. I'm sure I'll think of more later knowing me. :oops:

Also means by her moving inside with me and Bella (the cat), I have a empty home for more bunnies. I'm going to adopt another pair I think providing I can turn my bunny into a happy house bunny!:D

Then definitely a house bun so she has you for company:D

It does take time as she shows you what she is happy living with and what she likes to chew but it is amazing sharing your house with a rabbit or two:love:

Or four. :oops: It is wonderful. I love it. Can be trying at times when they decide that door is just perfect for chewing or if they decide to wee on the carpet and you can't get it out (Nutmeg). Two of mine are most definitely NOT house proud though so hopefully you won't have those issues. :)

One word of warning, you might want to keep an eye on her with the cat. Some get on, some don't. I don't have experience of that myself having never owned a cat :oops:

Or four. :oops: It is wonderful. I love it. Can be trying at times when they decide that door is just perfect for chewing or if they decide to wee on the carpet and you can't get it out (Nutmeg). Two of mine are most definitely NOT house proud though so hopefully you won't have those issues. :)

One word of warning, you might want to keep an eye on her with the cat. Some get on, some don't. I don't have experience of that myself having never owned a cat :oops:

Or five:oops::oops:

Yep, there will be problems, and as it said in a book I read, if you are majorly house proud, you are going to find it impossible to cope with all that hay.

Baby stair gates are excellent for keeping buns out of certain rooms though:thumb:

My cat is the most timid cat in the world, so I think it is going to be keeping my Maisie (my giant continental) getting to close as she will be desperate to make friends with my bella (the cat). Bella on the other hand I know will be hiding under the bed or the duvet, after all where else would you hide. Maisie has done wonders because when she is happily exploring outside, the next door neigbours cat looked in and almost fell of the fence when it saw Maisie for the first time. Ever since then my other 2 bunnies Roger and Nessa can play outside and the cat comes no where near! Maisie is like a guard bunny!

Back