• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She's changed her mind again

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've been asking for a rabbit for over a year and at Christmas Mum said I could get one, then she changed her mind last month, and said I couldn't get one. Then she said I could. And now she's changed her mind again. I'm so annoyed. She said I could get a rabbit if I co-operate, so I've been keeping my room tidy and doing everything she asks, and now she wants me to spend a Saturday at school doing German work which I really don't want to and don't need to do, and she said Fine then you can't have a rabbit. I've now said I'll go to the German thing and she said I still can't get a rabbit. I'm so annoyed, it's just not fair of her to keep changing her mind. I've bought loads of stuff for the rabbits and been saving up since before Christmas. :cry:

How old are you? My mum wouldnt let me have a rabbit, or any pet infact, when i lived at home, even when i had left school, she said they were too much of a responsibility. As soon as i moved into my own i got Lottie :love:

Rabbits are a big commitment, and maybe your mum is worried she will end up looking after the rabbit? Or maybe its the cost issue? They arent cheap pets :(

All i can say is keep saving, and one day you will get a rabbit, even if its when you move into your own home! x

ETA: I do think its wrong she keeps changing her mind :(

I've got guinea-pigs and I look after them. I've had them since I was 5 and my sister lost interest but I really like them. It just annoys me that she'll happily go out and buy my sister a car when she asks but she won't let me spend my own money on rabbits. :( I'm 15

If your mum's being a bit awkward now it would worry me as to what she'd be like if you did get a rabbit (or two!) - if they made a mess (they do) how would she react, if they did any damage or what would happen if they got ill and needed to go to the vets a.s.a.p - can you take them or would you be relying on your mum? Who would pay for vet bills? Again - would it be you or would you need your mum's help?

Even if your mum changes her mind again and says 'yes' you need to be sure she won't be awkward once you have the rabbits and change her mind about their presence once they're settled in. Rabbits are a long-term commitment - 10 years or more - so it's a big decision and when you're at home it really needs to be a decision the home-owner is 100% happy with. :)

Am sorry too that she's being difficult - I remember only too well the whole trying to convince parents thing. I had budgies, gerbils then rats when I was at home and they took a bit of convincing (especially about the rats!) but generally were really good.

Vibes for you to work something out anyway x

Am not being 'funny' here - just asking these questions because these scenarios are bound to come up and it's best you know if everything will be ok or not even if she does say yes. You don't want your bunny keeping days to be full of stress because of clashes with your mum and she doesn't seem terribly convinced before the mess etc....

For vaccinations I was going to take them to the vets by walking and my sister can drive so I think if I asked her she'd take me to the vets in an emergency. I've already got a vet fund for my guinea-pigs, I'd just add more to it and have it for the rabbits too. :(

Its very difficult when you and your mum had an agreement, and she has broken her side of it and added in more 'clauses' on her side of the agreement.

I would avoid the topic with her for now, and then, in due course, maybe sit down and have a mature conversation with her about where you stand, where she stands, etc, and really listen to each other. Nice and calm, no shouting or anything.

i had this when i still lived at home (i wanted a hamster and my mum was flat out no... then maybe... then yes.... then no.... you get the pattern :roll:)
eventually i sat her down and just asked for a straight out answer with reasons, we talked it through and then i got squeak :)
then came my cat, more hammies and fish.... as long as you can prove you will take full care of them hun im sure your mum will let you. what was she like when you wanted the GP?

xx

My sister wanted a guinea-pig and because they are better in pairs she got one and I got one too, and because I was 5 when we got them I didn't know much about them until after I got them, but Mum did find out some things about them before we got them.

My mum didn't know I was getting rabbits until a day before I did :shock: All set up by my dad. Mature advice now: sit down and talk to her and ask her why she keeps changing her mind x

Dont give up, do what sky-o has said, just remember to keep your cool and not shout, she will respect your opinion more if you do this, good luck and keep us updated!:wave:

i wanted a rabbit when aged 12yrs when we first moved into new house, mum once said you will have a new garden and could have a rabbit in it

then when i told friends and their mum said i believe your getting a rabbit, mum was like no :shock: :cry:

we left it at that then when i was 14yrs it was carnival day and my cousin was going home and found a big rabbit in my nans back garden:shock: she had run in to try and get safe,almost killed by this dog that jumped nans 6ft privet edge to get to it, my cousin scoped her up and got her in the house,w e thought she was a boy and called her thumper

no one claimed her, and i asked mum she said no, :cry: nan said she;d let my cousin have it, me and my sister said but it would die, it wouldget abandoned, neglected, cousin couldn;t look after herself never mind a rabbit and they never looked after their dog properly even their mum, and as there parents where separated the dog took the dog away

soo me and my sister spoke to dad and said but she'd die if she went to them and we'd look after her, and he spoke to mum, then when we went in after playing out, she said yes, we phoned nan and we took her in, i had to have her as she licked me, the day we found and rescued her, my sister tamed her

mum never paid for any of the bedding, feed etc, back then we never knew and got a guinea pig for a companion, which didn;t work, then got another rabbit, and when he was neautered they lived together
it was hard work though they where outside hutch bunnies and cleaning out in cold winters, with frozen hands in the dark nights when got home from school

she may be worried about you taken on more coming up to your exams etc

i had to pay for everything for them though there feed and bedding vetbills neautering etc, got alittle job to get money, but back then didn;t vaccinated which now 14yrs on i do

had rabbits ever since, mum loves them now, she used to hate animals :lol: when mitzi died on her when i was on holiday nan said she was a right state :cry:

she now holds my 2 she never used too bother :love:

mums change their minds often, maybe she is thinking of costs etc, theres alot to consider, not only vaccinations yearly and twice yearly, bedding, feed, neutering if you don;t get a rescue bun, any unexpected vet bills etc, possible insurance, it all mounts up, but i suppose you've looked into most of this already

maybe have alittle chat with her and ask why she keeps changing her mind, maybe she thinks in a few years you may move out and she'd be left with the bunny, mums can think allosrt thats all

hope it goes well :wave:

Last edited:
I'll try that but I don't think it will work :( I was just so excited and now I feel like I've got nothing to look forward to :(

She's now said we'll discuss it if I go to this stupid German thing. I know it's better than nothing, but I reaaaallly don't want to spend 5 hours on a Saturday at school to do extra coursework :( At least if I go to that there's a better chance I can get some rabbits :D

Back