• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help-I think Gordon is ill, stasis???

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I've been outside most of the afternoon cleaning out the rabbits shed, I took Beano and Gordon into the sun room (they've been in it before) to play whilst I did it. There was nothing in there other than their hay and toys so nothing in their that Gordon could've eaten to make him poorly. I put them back about half an hour ago and gave them their pellets, when I put Gordon back in he had a little hop about then went in the litter tray and flopped out. I thought nothing of this the first time he did it. I thought it was odd Gordon didn't come running at the sound of the food tub but again thought ntohing of it at first. He got up and looked in the pellet bowl, Beano was there stuffing her face as usual, I'm not sure if he ate a couple of pellets as I couldn't tell. Then he started flopping in the litter tray, getting up, stretching and flopping again. He doesn't look comfortable at all, he keeps flopping, getting up and changing postion then flopping again. I went to get their veg to see if he'll eat. I picked carrot, coriander and spring greens, all of which are his favs. He wasn't interested and wouldn't get up. I've offered him everything, including fenugreek crunchies but he just lifts his head up above the food or shoves it underneath and keeps flopping/stretching/changing position :cry::cry::cry: Stasis immidently came to mind :cry: I don't know anything about stasis but I have read posts about it on here, could it be this or could he just be tired after being in the sun room to play? He was absolutly fine earlier, running and binkying around with Beano. Please help, I don't know what to do, my dad is out walking the dogs so can't do anything until he gets back, I'm really upset and couldn't help but start crying and shaking when I saw him like that :cry::cry: I keep going out to check on him. :cry:

Oh dear, poor Gordon and poor you. :( When Spenser had stasis he just sat hunched and miserable, and he did need vet treatment to sort him out. Will Gordon let you pick him up and give him and feel if his tummy is hard?

Firstly, well done for keeping a cool head and trying all their favourite treat and thinking about the environment he has been in.

He does sound in discomfort, so I think it would be best to call your vet.

In the meantime, provide cold tap water with a dash of boiled water in (i.e. making it luke warm), in a bowl, and also a snuggle safe if you have one?

Can you phone your vet for advice whilst you're waiting for your dad?

It sounds like he needs to see the vet. This is how Clover gets, and he has to have gut stimulants and pain relief.

It definitely sounds like he has belly ache. Most importantly keep him warm. Possibly try to syringe him some water but do not syringe any food. Sometimes chasing them around is good as it gets the gas moving as it's possibly gas in his stomach/gut that is causing the pain. Some recommend tummy rubs but I've never had any success with it. Unless he appears in great distress keep an eye on him but if he's still not right it's time to see a vet. I don't know if you know what your vets' emergency arrangements are but find out now in case you need them.

Roo has what you are describing quite frequently and gets very panicky when he has belly ache, a couple of times it's gone on it's own (when he's moved the gas along!) but most of the time he needs the vet to give him painkillers.

Thankyou both. I don't have a snugglesafe, I have offered luke warm water but he won't have any of it :cry: I had a feel of his tummy whilst he was flopped as I wasn't sure if moving him could make him worse but I have no idea what a normal rabbit tummy should feel like :cry: I had a feel of his and Beano's to compare, as far as I could tell there wasn't really a difference. I can't do anything until my dad gets back and he really won't want to go the vets as it will be an emergency vet and call but I know how important taking him may be and I am really worried about my little man so I will get him there if it's what he needs, how long can I wait if he is like this as I could go out to look for my dad? If he doesn need to go to an emergency vet do I take Beano with him? :cry::cry:

Just seen the above posts, thankyou, I cant call my dad as he has no mobile :cry: I am just going to check on him again

Thankyou both. I don't have a snugglesafe, I have offered luke warm water but he won't have any of it :cry: I had a feel of his tummy whilst he was flopped as I wasn't sure if moving him could make him worse but I have no idea what a normal rabbit tummy should feel like :cry: I had a feel of his and Beano's to compare, as far as I could tell there wasn't really a difference. I can't do anything until my dad gets back and he really won't want to go the vets as it will be an emergency vet and call but I know how important taking him may be and I am really worried about my little man so I will get him there if it's what he needs, how long can I wait if he is like this as I could go out to look for my dad? If he doesn need to go to an emergency vet do I take Beano with him? :cry::cry:

If you're dad isn't convinced that he needs the emergency vet then perhaps he could read the stasis threads on here, or phone the vet himself for advice? Sometimes it needs an 'outside' person to explain why it is important.

I take Clover on his own and leave Dan at home, as the treatment is pretty quick.

If he just 'isn't right' you are okay for an hour or two, if he is panting or looking really distressed it's a case of 'now'. Though from the flopping you describe he does sound to be in quite a bit of pain, so sooner rather than later. My vet won't admit a bonded partner though a lot will. He might not be admitted, if they decide he hasn't a blockage or anything serious he's likely to have a series of jabs and sent home to recover. Might be a good idea for Beano to travel with him it that will relax him more.

Liz please give Jill a call if you need to - she won't mind. Her no. is on my signature.

I think to minimise the stress to Gordon I would take Beano to the vets as well.

How good are your vets? (or rather the vets that are on call)?

Its ok if you don't have a snugglesafe, you can make a rice sock instead. You just need sock and some uncooked rice (I would imagine similar uncooked things would work, but I've not tried them), and then put the rice in the sock, tie it, put another sock over and tie that, and then put it in the microwave. Heat it for 10 seconds and then check it, and keep doing that until it is warm and would offer him some heat.

Just been to check on him now, he is still the same, flopping out a lot. I tried to get him to move but he waouldn't, after a lot of gentle pushing he got up but wouldn't leave the litter tray and I didn't want to push or bother him too hard. As soon as I stopped he flopped and stretched again. :cry::cry: I have no idea how good the emergency vets are at my usual vets as I have never had to use them. My dad is back now and I have taken him to see Gordon but he won't accept he is ill :cry: I have showed him threads on here though and he said we can ring the vets so I'm going to do tha now

If his flops are very vigorous then you need to try to prevent him from doing it as there is a potential that he could get a twisted gut. I would pop him into a pet carrier with a heatpad and try to contact your Dad to get Gordon to a Vet.

I hope that he feels better soon xx

ETA- Just seen that your Dad is back. Can you get him to read this thread ?

Just been to check on him now, he is still the same, flopping out a lot. I tried to get him to move but he waouldn't, after a lot of gentle pushing he got up but wouldn't leave the litter tray and I didn't want to push or bother him too hard. As soon as I stopped he flopped and stretched again. :cry::cry: I have no idea how good the emergency vets are at my usual vets as I have never had to use them. My dad is back now and I have taken him to see Gordon but he won't accept he is ill :cry: I have showed him threads on here though and he said we can ring the vets so I'm going to do tha now

I'm glad he's letting you ring the vets, and I hope Gordon can be treated tonight :)

Back